IGNORED

What irons should I buy?

backspasm
Note: This thread is 4045 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking to get some new clubs this year. This past year I noticed I have regular flex shafts in all my clubs except my hybrid. My swing speed is high enough for stiff shafts. Oops .

I am 17 years old and the club pro says I have one of the best swings/ball flight he has ever seen. I am not gloating, I only mention this because I am not looking for GIs or SGIs, I am looking for some good irons for the lower handicap than I am (around 12). I will be getting fit for these irons at a club fitter. I strike the ball well and believe that with some better (fitted) irons it can drastically reduce my handicap with a little work.

Thanks for any help!

I would agree that at 17 you probably need stiff shafts and with your handicap you probably don't need SGI heads.

But if you are going to get fitted, I wouldn't just disregard shaft flex and head style out of pocket.

Your pro says you have good ball flight; a stiffer shaft will probably lower that flight--which may be good or not good. Also, GI is a broad category of head style, and even some pros use heads which could be considered GI. I like looking down at a nice chrome muscle back too, but the proof is in the performance.  Looks are a good place to start; liking what you look down at inspires confidence, but if you like the way something looks and feels, don't write it off because it is considered a 'GI" style head.

The point of getting fitted is to find equipment that fits your swing style and delivers the best result.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are a lot of great irons out there, it will be hard to pick one, hit as many as you can. I personally would recommend either Pings (which I play) or Mizunos. I'm sure others will recommend their favorite brand. On other threads I have suggested that you go to YouTube and search on Mark Crossfield Reviews. I think you'll find him informative. He reviews all different clubs. I watch a review of the G25s versus the AP1. Give it a try.

I would take a look at mizuno MP range of irons. These are forged heads with great feel and designed for the better player.

Shaft wise, I would do a little research first and try and hit a few clubs with different shafts to get an idea of what you like the feel of before going for your fitting. Have a look at golfclubshaftreview.com to find out about different shafts out there to try.

I suggest this to every "what irons to get" thread, Wilson Staff. Sooo underrated. For what it sounds like you want, the FG Tour, anything in the older Pi series, or the Ci series (FG's and Ci'9s or Ci11's will be conforming grooves) would be great fits. As good or better than the biggies.

:nike:Covert Tour

:wilson_staff: Fybrid RS 15*

Irons??

:tmade: Tour Preffered 54* & 60* w/ ATV grind

:rife: Trinidad Tropical

There are many, many good irons that will do the job.

mp 69's by Mizzuno

ap2's by Titlest

Both give you some forgiveness and feel really good.

Of course, my friend loves his Pings - i20's.  He played the s56 irons for a season - looked at the Ping Anser irons before getting the i20's.  He is considerably shorter than I am and plays with a 2 degree down swing plane - where I am plus 1 inch and 2 degrees upright - so I hit his 6 irons some - they are a nice club.

For me the shaft is what made a huge difference. I got to hit several different clubs with different shafts after having gone through the fitting process with a shaft analyzer. I was amazed how the shaft seemed to make a huge difference whereas the brand of iron not so much.

Enjoy shopping for new clubs. For me, it is a rare thing. I expect to play my 59's for a long time, probably until I need to do something different due to old age and failing health.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

You are getting fitted, so go into it with an open mind and go with the results.

There are plenty of clubs around that are sitting in the middle ground between a player club and a GI club, still look restrained but offer a bit off help. Then again its what ever you feel comfortable with.

Originally Posted by Mozgolf

You are getting fitted, so go into it with an open mind and go with the results.

There are plenty of clubs around that are sitting in the middle ground between a player club and a GI club, still look restrained but offer a bit off help. Then again its what ever you feel comfortable with.

Bolded is good advice, i just got new MP59's and love them. I wasn't thinking them when I went to the fitting.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Note: This thread is 4045 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!