Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnny_14424

Wrist Hinge in Takeaway?

23 posts in this topic

Hey guys, how many of you hinge your wrist immediately or wait until you get to the end of the takeaway to hinge?

Personally, I find I can get more width in my backswing when I hinge my wrist at the end of the takeaway.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I used to hinge at the end, now I hinge pretty early, almost right away. I also fold my right elbow early similar to Utley's short game feels. I find both these changes keep my swing more compact and more consistent. Maybe I'm losing a bit of width, I don't know, but I'm getting much better contact and width ain't worth with out decent contact.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think about it, unless i am hitting a shorter pitch shot, then its easier to feel the clubhead on a pitch if i hinge earlier.

For me, the club is parallel to the ground, when my hands are at hip height

Originally Posted by BenGolf19

The quicker you get it up the better.

Could you explain a little why you think that? It's not very helpful to say that.

I don't like getting the wrist hinge early but that's because the way i swing, that leads to keeping the the club out to in on the downswing.

Originally Posted by onephenom

Could you explain a little why you think that? It's not very helpful to say that.

I don't like getting the wrist hinge early but that's because the way i swing, that leads to keeping the the club out to in on the downswing.

Same here I try not to hinge too early, because it makes me pull the club inside too much and too quickly I believe.

I'm the opposite.  Whenever I start trying to copy "proper" swing, i.e., tour pros, golftec's one size fits all swing, my ball striking goes to shit.  Soon as I go back to a very early wrist hinge, it comes back.  different strokes i guess.

Originally Posted by cipher

Same here I try not to hinge too early, because it makes me pull the club inside too much and too quickly I believe.

Actually the opposite happens. The backswing in basic terms is the shoulders bring the club around, and the wrist's bring the club up. To get to that good "on plane" postion you have to have the right amount of wrist hinge and shoulder turn. So if in theory a player is across the line, they just simply need more "up" or wrist hinge in the swing. So you are more prone to pull the club inside if you don't hinge early because you are starting the swing with the "around" or shoulder turn. For me, the quicker I can get that club up on the plane the better. Also if I hinge early and I am "set" all I have to do is complete my turn and the club will be on plane because I established that from the start. To me it is just a simpler move and it's how I was taught. Take a look at AK, or rory, and you'll see a very early set and then just a turn.

I disagree that you are more prone to pull the club inside if you do not hinge the wrists early. I would say look at Fowler for what I am talking about. If you hinge early it brings the weight of the club inside pulling your arms with it, if you don't hinge early the weight of the club keeps your arms moving back and up and helps you get more on plane I would say. This is because they are only then really coming in by your shoulder turn.

I disagree that you are more prone to pull the club inside if you do not hinge the wrists early. I would say look at Fowler for what I am talking about. If you hinge early it brings the weight of the club inside pulling your arms with it, if you don't hinge early the weight of the club keeps your arms moving back and up and helps you get more on plane I would say. This is because they are only then really coming in by your shoulder turn.

We're back to a topic that's been done a lot of times: it depends on how you define hinge. Is your definition of hinge vertical or horizontal? Also, how much you roll over the left forearm plays a big role.

What Ben is getting at is this: Take your setup position, and hinge upward (vertically) so early that you have a full wrist cock before you do any shoulder turn. You're already at P2 before you start your swing. Now begin to turn your shoulders and you'll see that the club stays more outside like Fowler.

Your definition of hinging is probably more of a horizontal bowing, which will pull the club inside like you said.

I think the main reason that Fowler's swing looks like that is because he rolls his left forearm over wayyy later in the swing than most guys.

Actually I said that hinging my wrists causes me to pull the club inside when I go back.

As for vertical vs horizontal, I try to stay away from horizontal and any rolling because my timing doesn't work very well. I don't roll back to where I need to be to hit the ball right

Best to do what comes natural to you. Turn and get the left shoulder under your chin and stop and see where your club is. If its closed then you are not rotating at all. It shouldn't be a swing thought as that part should be natural. Your swing thoughts should be more full turn. Then of course you should have already decided on the type of down swing your trying to execute

Originally Posted by dkling8

We're back to a topic that's been done a lot of times: it depends on how you define hinge. Is your definition of hinge vertical or horizontal? Also, how much you roll over the left forearm plays a big role.

What Ben is getting at is this: Take your setup position, and hinge upward (vertically) so early that you have a full wrist cock before you do any shoulder turn. You're already at P2 before you start your swing. Now begin to turn your shoulders and you'll see that the club stays more outside like Fowler.

Your definition of hinging is probably more of a horizontal bowing, which will pull the club inside like you said.

I think the main reason that Fowler's swing looks like that is because he rolls his left forearm over wayyy later in the swing than most guys.

You are probably right about the difference in my definition or lack of understanding.  If you set up with forward shaft lean and a strong right hand grip and you hing your right wrist right away to p2 the club will come inside to much for me and make my forearms want to roll over.  I don't want my forearms to roll over, even though I have a tendency to do it.  I don't have my arms straight back at P2 so obviously there is wrist hinge before.  I just don't want too much right away, more of a gradual slow hinge.

Originally Posted by onephenom

Actually I said that hinging my wrists causes me to pull the club inside when I go back.

Yep I am agreeing with you, it is the same for me.  I should have been more clear.  I was differing in opinion with BenGolf19, I should have used quotes.  Anyway I do think it is somewhat preferential as long as you can get to a good position at the top.

Anyway I do think it is somewhat preferential as long as you can get to a good position at the top.

This. There are not a lot of absolutes in the golf swing (or TGM would be a lot easier to read) and a ton of the details are stylistic or player preference. Ball first, take a divot, fine tune from there. EDIT* you could make a pretty good argument about the divot being a matter of preference too. Seen a lot of pretty damn good players who don't take divots, I just think its a more difficult and less forgiving way to play.

Originally Posted by dkling8

I was referring to the vertical wrist hinge as soon as you start the takeaway. I think I have been doing it correctly, my club is not coming too far inside.

I do notice vs. the one piece takeaway that my right arm tends to bend sooner.

I just took a lesson and discovered that I was going back below plane and somewhat inside, breaking my right elbow too early. For some reason I got the idea that my right elbow needed to stay close to my hip - big loss of extension and big mistake. This resulted in me having to raise my arms/ hands near the top to get on plane (a bit above, actually - video doesn't lie), and in losing control at the top. Once my instructor got me to do a one-piece takeaway (no right wrist bowing) and extend properly I was hitting much better - divot taken AFTER contact. Best half hour lesson I've ever had. I don't like to hinge the wrist UP before the club is horizontal because I tend to go inside that way. But that's just me, others can probably do it fine. I don't see that the timing of the upward wrist hinge really matters - what does matter is to keep that triangle going for the first half of the backswing and to keep everything tight and in control at the top. My 2c.

I am referring to a vertical wrist hinge. If you hinge straight up I cant see anyone getting the club inside?