IGNORED

Nicklaus on Feherty

turtleback
Note: This thread is 4040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Watching this show just reminds me of just how good Peter Kessler was and how much I miss him.  I STILL remember the interview where Jack cut Peter's tie off.

As to Feherty, how can you reduce the opportunity to have an hour with Jack into about 15 substantive minutes and 40 minutes of nonsense.

What a disappointment.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I didn't watch Kessler but I actually like Feherty's interview style. His nonsense humour adds character in my opinion but I can also see how it wouldn't appeal to some. One thing I do appreciate is the fact that he was a Pro golfer himself so he can relate to topics on the show somewhat.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

enjoyed it ... talked about his wife and family, his love for fishing, how he could have been a much better golfer if he practiced more , and how he seemed totally contented in life.    I thought it was a fantastic interview - if the OP wanted it 100% on golf, I could see he would be disappointed...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by inthehole

enjoyed it ... talked about his wife and family, his love for fishing, how he could have been a much better golfer if he practiced more , and how he seemed totally contented in life.    I thought it was a fantastic interview - if the OP wanted it 100% on golf, I could see he would be disappointed...

That is kinda scary!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I liked the interview as well.  I like his style.  It is more interesting than a traditional style interview.  If I wanted a boring pointed interview, I would go watch Oprah.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Always fun to see any of the greats being interviewed but Nicklaus being my childhood idol is always special. The 1975 Masters was the first golf tournament I ever watched with Nicklaus, Wieskopf, and Miller battling it out! What an introduction to golf!

The interview was solid in normal Feherty fashion. Being a big Nicklaus fan, nothing earth shattering that I haven't heard from him before but good to see the Golden Bear still going strong!

I do still get goosebumps when he talks about the 86 Masters.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I thought the interview was great.  I find the criticism of Feherty interesting.  He brings a side to golf that has been absent and has a way to break down people so we can seem they without the guard on.  All of his interviews on his show so far have insight that I've never had access to before and he is able to do that with his personality.  How is that a negative?

Nicklaus doesn't just open up to anyone easily and he did so with Feherty.  I thought it was a great job.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Feherty is a different type of interviewer.  He was a pro which earns him some respect from the pro golfers he interviews.  He has the ability to put people at ease with his humor and they know it's not going to be an intense journalistic interview like they'd have from 60 minutes or Bryant Gumball which allows David to dig a little while maintaining a light and relaxed atmosphere.   In some cases he may get answers the others wouldn't because it's more of a conversation than a grilling.

Joe Paradiso

Personally, I love the stories that David is able to relate and/or extract from his guests. Being a former golfer, he's aware of some of the shenanigans they got up to and can get them to relate SOME of them. I'm thining, for instance, of the story he got Ken Venturi to tell about playing with Barry Goldwater. Freaking hillarious....

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

I think its a great show.  The troubles he has faced enable him to relate to some of these guys on a different level that we don't often get to see.  The interview with Tom Watson comes to mind, where they talked about how Tom helped David with his problems.  He tried to get John Daly to open up, but Daly has a different perspective on things.  Telling in itself and a very interesting interview. There was another that I can't recall right now where I felt like he was able to connect with the player in a unique way.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I enjoyed the show.  Jack is one of the three nicest pros I've talked to, actually he started talking to my wife and me first.  The other two nice guys were Byron Nelson and Ian Baker Finch.  Tom Weiskopf, not so much.

Personally, I love the stories that David is able to relate and/or extract from his guests. Being a former golfer, he's aware of some of the shenanigans they got up to and can get them to relate SOME of them. I'm thining, for instance, of the story he got Ken Venturi to tell about playing with Barry Goldwater. Freaking hillarious....

Well said. That's exactly why he's able to get that other side from the golfers.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Maybe I'm just the only one old enough to remember the Kessler interview (it was January of 1995).  A solid hour of actual interview.  Jack doing 85% of the talking.

Could just be a generational thing because I've always thought an interview with a great should be informational, not just giggly "entertainment".  Judging by the prevailing consensus response to my OP I guess I have just attained "old fart" status.  LOL

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I like Kessler and Ferhety. Contrasting styles,but both are entertaining. I actually thought Ferherty showed a little more restraint than usual. Jack seemed very comfortable talking to Fehrety.

I like Feherty quite a bit, but I do get the criticism. He can induce a wince.

That being said, I thought this was his best work. He's really hit his stride, I think, as an interviewer.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I sometimes find him a bit too much (not that often) but I always seem to want to come back for more. Like others are saying, he gets into players' minds in a unique way. You always feel that you've learned something new and interesting about a pro after one of his interviews. If Feherty didn't exist it would be necessary to invent him .....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 4040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!