IGNORED

Rory McIlroy walks off course at the Honda Classic

phan52
Note: This thread is 4038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

I took what Tiger was saying as "think before you give a stupid answer because when you revise it later you'll get called on it."

I didn't take it as "lie." More the opposite - take your time, tell the amount of truth you want to share, and things will be fine.

Tiger's WDed only five times in his career. He's given a perfectly plausible reason each time. 1995 when he hurt his wrist at the U.S. Open as an amateur, three times recently when he's had injuries (and not when shooting horrible scores, and often after making the cut), and once when a tournament was extended from February to August (that AT&T;).

The only one that bothered me was the AT&T.; As I recall he was +4 at the time, and it seemed like a cheap way to keep his "cuts made streak" alive.

What's the executive summary of what he said?

My tooth does hurt but it was just an excuse. I was a baby la la, I totally regret it and fully realize I was a douche for walking off. I'm only 23 and still learning how to be a man. It won't happen again.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read this entire thread and have to ask: do y'all play golf?

For those of you saying "It can't be the swing" or "with his talent, this can't happen" or the 3-4 who said he could/should "work it out in a few range sessions" or those who speculate that he didn't work hard enough this Winter (as if you have any idea, or know, or even know what is effective in terms of practice time for a world class pro), do you actually play golf?

He is a human being trying to make a golf ball move the way he wants in the air using a piece of iron.  Thats hard.  Everyone on this thread knows sometimes it goes and it doesn't come back for a while.  Thats why Golf is fun.  Thats why Golf isn't chess or darts or bowling.  Sometimes it comes.  Sometimes it goes.  I got as low as a 6.5 then shot a 108 one day, and a 97 a few days after that.  I got so frustrated trying to break under 5 that I quit for a month (or four) - recently started posting again (not that anyone would remember me lol).  Then shot 88, 82, 82 after a few range sessions last week and I can't wait to play again.

It happens.  It comes and goes.  You can't diagnose it from the outside.  The golf channel talking heads said it was his knees one day, then said it was his putter the very next day.

Walking off the course was a BS move.  That said, he is 23 and I have some sympathy for him (I did some stupid stuff when I was that age and walking off a golf course wouldn't make the top 10).  He's a good kid going through a rough patch.  Will he come back?  Probably.  But who knows.

Its absolutely not an equipment thing, and I find it very hard to believe its because he didn't "work hard" enough.

I read this entire thread and have to ask: do y'all play golf? For those of you saying "It can't be the swing" or "with his talent, this can't happen" or the 3-4 who said he could/should "work it out in a few range sessions" or those who speculate that he didn't work hard enough this Winter (as if you have any idea, or know, or even know what is effective in terms of practice time for a world class pro), do you actually play golf?

Nah, I doubt anyone here plays golf..

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

My tooth does hurt but it was just an excuse. I was a baby la la, I totally regret it and fully realize I was a douche for walking off. I'm only 23 and still learning how to be a man. It won't happen again.

My swing (path) is screwed up.  Equipment and ball are fine.  So is my girlfriend.

Regards,

John

So...

You think you want to be a professional golfer? You think you want to be judged by a bunch of wanna be's on all your weaknesses on and off the course? You think you're good enough to have your every flaw exposed and criticized by folks who have no clue as to what it takes to excel?

Fine... get your card. Compete with the best.

And let's see if you can show better skill and character all day every day under all circumstances.

Leave the boy alone, give him the chance to grow into the man he has the potential to be!

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

What's the executive summary of what he said?

Quote:

“I realized pretty quickly it wasn’t the right thing to do,” McIlroy said Wednesday at Doral. “It was a mistake. It won’t happen again.

“My tooth was bothering me, but it wasn’t bothering me enough to quit.”

McIlroy contends that his lower right wisdom tooth has been bothering him for a year. He had braces for six months last year to try to alleviate some of the pressure and he continues to take medication. He will wait until he returns to Northern Ireland later this year, saying his dentist there is the only person he trusts to pull the aching tooth.

“I actually think in the long run, Friday will be a blessing in disguise,” McIlroy said. “It was like it just sort of released a valve and all that sort of pressure that I’ve been putting on myself just went away.

“It’s not life or death out there. It’s only a game. I had sort of forgotten that this year.”

“I go out here this week, I’m going to enjoy it,” McIlroy said. “I’ve got four rounds, thankfully. I’m just going to go out there and have a good time.”

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Norco and Vicodin are the same thing - trade names for hydrocodone+paracetamol.  Plus if you were taking it before every round you had built up some tolerance.

No the mix is different.  and it is hydrocodone and acetaminophen( although I guess that is just another name for the same thing).  Norco has twice as much of the oxy and less of the aceto.(10/325, although apparently 7.5/325 is available).  Vicodin is 5/500.  Acetaminophen is the only otc pain reliever I can take so my doc tries to be very sparing of me using it because of the liver issues, hence I take Norco rather than Vicodin.

And I don't think taking one norco on Saturday and one on Sunday builds up a tolerance.  When the prescription would allow me to take 42 per week and I actually take 2 per week I don't see tolerance as much of an issue.  But maybe you are right, as it is not a one size fits all world.

But regardless, if you can't play golf but then are practicing within hours, something other than tooth pain is going on.  As he has now said.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by turtleback

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Norco and Vicodin are the same thing - trade names for hydrocodone+paracetamol.  Plus if you were taking it before every round you had built up some tolerance.

No the mix is different.  and it is hydrocodone and acetaminophen( although I guess that is just another name for the same thing).  Norco has twice as much of the oxy and less of the aceto.(10/325, although apparently 7.5/325 is available).  Vicodin is 5/500.  Acetaminophen is the only otc pain reliever I can take so my doc tries to be very sparing of me using it because of the liver issues, hence I take Norco rather than Vicodin.

And I don't think taking one norco on Saturday and one on Sunday builds up a tolerance.  When the prescription would allow me to take 42 per week and I actually take 2 per week I don't see tolerance as much of an issue.  But maybe you are right, as it is not a one size fits all world.

But regardless, if you can't play golf but then are practicing within hours, something other than tooth pain is going on.  As he has now said.

Ah, I see. So you can get the same effect as Norco by taking two Vicodin, but the downside is you're putting more acetaminophen in your system. (Btw yes, acetaminophen = paracetamol).

Yeah, I think the ability to function and the tolerance aspect does vary per person. If I take my first Vicodin after not having done so in a while, it knocks me on my butt, but if I continue to take it for a few days after that the effect diminishes.

Anyway, looks like Rory learned a good lesson.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by Chas

I want to see an interview and hear him talk about it in depth.

Really? Who really cares? He walked off the course, he had a press interview and owned up to making the mistake. We move on. This stuff really isn't that interesting. I'm an avid golf fan, not because I dig into the personal lives of golfers but because they play the game I love at an elite level. The dummies that feed off of someone's misfortunes or mistakes need to subscribe to People magazine instead of Golf Digest.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Sorry for the double post, didn't realize when Chas originally posted his message, thought he wanted another in depth interview after the press conference, no offense.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

That's OK Saturday. Yes, it was after my post that he did the right thing and really cleared things up for all of us with that interview/press conference. I was expecting it to happen and wasn't disappointed. hmmmmm, maybe I put the idea in his mind .... ;>) [kidding]

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

That's OK Saturday. Yes, it was after my post that he did the right thing and really cleared things up for all of us with that interview/press conference. I was expecting it to happen and wasn't disappointed.

hmmmmm, maybe I put the idea in his mind .... ;>)

[kidding]

lol yeah maybe! It just showed his class and level of honesty - feel bad about the backlash he got! Anyway, makes room for the next big scandal in the golf world!

Originally Posted by CR McDivot

So...

You think you want to be a professional golfer? You think you want to be judged by a bunch of wanna be's on all your weaknesses on and off the course? You think you're good enough to have your every flaw exposed and criticized by folks who have no clue as to what it takes to excel?

Fine... get your card. Compete with the best.

And let's see if you can show better skill and character all day every day under all circumstances.

Leave the boy alone, give him the chance to grow into the man he has the potential to be!

I haven't criticized him in this thread (yet), but there's something not quite right with your reasoning. If you are saying that anybody who is not a pro golfer can not criticize a pro golfer (did I get all of the negatives right?), then the entire reason that internet threads exist is gone. There's going to be an awful lot of people with some spare time on their hands. a1_smile.gif

If you are saying that he's just 23 and doesn't deserve the criticism, then I would have to disagree. This 23 year old made a decision to become a highly paid professional golfer. This is his chosen business. He is not a college kid playing for kicks, or his school, or for pride. He is representing sponsors and getting paid to expose their brand on national TV ( a top 3 contract out of all pro golfers to boot). He failed to fulfill that contract for whatever reason, and didn't react in a professional manner, so I believe that the criticism is warranted.

• 2 weeks later...

Integrity does not come in measures; you either have it or you don t

• :callaway: Callaway Epic Flash Driver.  Epic Flash 3 Wood.  GBB Flash 5 wood.  Epic Flash 4 Hybrid
  • :cleveland: Cleveland Launcher HB Irons, 4 through PW. CBX2 Wedges, 54 & 60 degree.
  • :seemore:  Seemore Si1 putter.

Note: This thread is 4038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!