IGNORED

Blades vs blades older vs newer

Note: This thread is 4073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just looking for info. Or experiance from other members Question is do say 15 year old blades play different than say 10 year old blades vs 5 year old blades vs blades from last couple of years. If your swing is there wont they all play close to the same. If you update the older blades wouldnt they play close to the same feel flight reliabilty Any input would be great

They will play more or less the same possibly a little less forgiving. However, the shafts on newer irons will likely be considerably better.

There are differences in blade tech, just as in GI and SGI tech.

Some of the earlier blades were just that... same thickness heel to toe, sole to topline. Fairly even weight distribution throughout.

Then came rearrangement of metal, and thus weight, to incorporate a wider beveled sole (bounce), and more mass behind the center of the blade (muscleback).

Various iterations of the general theory ensued, leading eventually to the cavity back of GI clubs and the very wide soled, rear center of gravity (through the use of a slot or void behind the face) of the SGI.

I play an older set of Wilson blades with a fair amount of bounce and a muscleback that is heavier towards the sole. Wilson has come somewhat back toward this type of blade in their FG62. If I should ever give up my classic irons, I will go with the FG62 and probably feel right at home.

http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/irons/fg62/

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Originally Posted by Superplumber

Just looking for info. Or experiance from other members

Question is do say 15 year old blades play different than say 10 year old blades vs 5 year old blades vs blades from last couple of years. If your swing is there wont they all play close to the same. If you update the older blades wouldnt they play close to the same feel flight reliabilty

Any input would be great

I would assume that the advancements in technology of blades would be tiny in comparison to the other types of clubs. And I agree with Tachyon ... the shafts would likely be markedly different.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting question - I DO NOT rate myself as any great ball striker, and I would have assumed there wasn't much difference, blade is a blade etc. But I've messed around with quite a few sets the past couple of years, and have found a considerable difference even after reshafting. My 1999 Hogan Blades are very unforgiving and have a straight leading edge, with very little effective bounce, so unless you are always playing off flat lies all the time I find them tricky. My 2010 Wilson fg59s appear chunkier than the Hogans, much more playable, very happy with them. The leading edge is still fairly sharp but rounded across the club. But after seeing a load of good reviews I've picked up some 2003 nike blades and found them to feel more 'solid' with better turf interaction, I think the leading edge is less aggressive than the Wilsons. The Wilsons feel /sound very slightly hollow or tinny by comparison. Just my opinion....

Note: This thread is 4073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!