IGNORED

How good can you get at golf with a fundamentally bad swing?

clearwaterms
Note: This thread is 4041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Then why can't I get my HDCP lower than a 4/5??

You know why....

Need to practice like this http://thesandtrap.com/t/43987/my-swing-iacas/216#post_815796

Start learning how to pitch instead of chip

and come out and see us April 5th

Originally Posted by iacas

Holy crap my swing when I was a 1.8 was ****ing atrocious compared to what it is now, but:

a) I had Key #1 and most of Keys #2 and #3, and most days I had a Key #5 that paired with my not-awesome Key #4.

b) I had a swing speed of about 110 with the driver.

c) I had a good short game.

d) I managed my game well.

I passed my PAT on the first attempt playing some awful (for me) golf largely because I understood the ball flight laws, how to manage my swing, and how to manage scoring.

Yeah probably same with me in college, funny I rarely saw my swing on video back then.  Was normal for me to swing my 7 iron past parallel, laid off AND long lol  But def had Key #1 and ok with Keys #2 and 3.  Key #5 was decent because I practiced a lot and eliminated one side of the golf course.  Never tried to hit a draw.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
and come out and see us April 5th

QFT

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not to get off topic, but I think that is a problem for many people, including myself.  Most, not all of the teachers out there teach you good mechanics.  Having good mechanics or a pretty swing does not show up on the scorecard though, only your score for the hole.  Before someone comes back and tries to counter this by saying that it's easier and more likely to be a better player if you do have a pretty swing with good mechanics, yes, that is 100% true.  It's not a requirement though.

I wonder how much better some people would be if they worked with what they have, focused on scoring better with the swing they have versus a total swing overhaul?  In theory you could have a gorgeous swing with great mechanics but if you are not consistent with your ball striking, all you have is a pretty practice swing

• Administrator
I wonder how much better some people would be if they worked with what they have, focused on scoring better with the swing they have versus a total swing overhaul?  In theory you could have a gorgeous swing with great mechanics but if you are not consistent with your ball striking, all you have is a pretty practice swing

I'll never understand why people assume that every golf instructor immediately completely overhauls the student's golf swing. Typically that is only seen from terrible golf instructors. The best golf instructors work with what a student has and prioritizes properly, improving each piece as it becomes the highest priority, for as long as the student works with them.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'll never understand why people assume that every golf instructor immediately completely overhauls the student's golf swing. Typically that is only seen from terrible golf instructors. The best golf instructors work with what a student has and prioritizes properly, improving each piece as it becomes the highest priority, for as long as the student works with them.

I can't answer that ... the stigma is there though.  For me, it wasn't really that I thought they would change me ... just that I feared they might (because I didn't know them), and I didn't want to pay $100 (or whatever) prior to finding that out.  That is why it took until I found this site, and found out A LOT about you guys and your philosophies and teaching styles for free, before I knew it would be worth it to get lessons. :)

I guess they assume the instructor will change the look of the their swing to fit whatever style or philosophy the instructor is involved in.  Or that there is a "perfect swing" to be modeled after?  I also think there are some golfers that define ANY change they make as an "overhaul".  You and I might define overhaul as something Mac would do, have to grip it this way, stand this way, do this on the takeaway.  Hit all the check points and make the swing look a certain way.

Maybe it just depends on the student.  Let's say a student comes to you, got the grip in the palm of the left hand, feet aren't flared, only has Key#1.  So get the grip in the fingers, flare the feet out so the left knee can flex forward and tell him to add more pressure left or squash it on the downswing.  That's obviously not an overhaul but the guy might think, "Jeez all I did before was think about a smooth tempo" or something.  That guy might feel like that lesson was an "overhaul" and then there are some golfers that over analyze, change their swing thoughts on every hole, get that same lesson and love how simple it is.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'll never understand why people assume ...

Because they had bad experiences? I struggled myself to hcp 22 without lessons. Then took lessons because I have the urge to become single digit. But the first two instructors started on stance, grip, takeaway everything. So I got frustrated and played worse and worse. Most people think that's something they have to go through. They trust the pro, think the pro knows what is good for them.

But a good pro tries to work with what he gets and make small steps in the desired direction, tries to help the student build confidence, tries to understand what way the student learns the best. Finally I found someone who does that, but it was 1 out of three.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by MacDutch

Because they had bad experiences?

Most of the people I've talked to who say that haven't even taken a lesson. Maybe they hear it from others, maybe they just think it's the way lessons are done. I don't know.

I hate bad golf instructors because, as you say, they bring the perception of all of us down.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by MacDutch

Because they had bad experiences? I struggled myself to hcp 22 without lessons. Then took lessons because I have the urge to become single digit. But the first two instructors started on stance, grip, takeaway everything. So I got frustrated and played worse and worse. Most people think that's something they have to go through. They trust the pro, think the pro knows what is good for them.

But a good pro tries to work with what he gets and make small steps in the desired direction, tries to help the student build confidence, tries to understand what way the student learns the best. Finally I found someone who does that, but it was 1 out of three.

I know exactly what you mean.  My pro was adjusting my grip, stance, alignment, takeaway, weight transfer, swing plane, swing path, etc all seemingly at one time.  Some teachers give you way too much at one time, I don't plan on going back to a pro anytime soon, and when I do, I'm doing my research and getting their understanding of the golfswing before hand

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

Note: This thread is 4041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!