IGNORED

Stats & Facts - Volume 12 (Stacy Lewis Wins Again)

Tontj5
Note: This thread is 4040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Stats & Facts - Volume 12

Let me start off my congratulating Stacy Lewis for winning the HSBC Women's Champions. Stacy, the defending LPGA Player of the Year, came out on top with a one stroke victory over NaYeon Choi. Paula Creamer finished two strokes back. See the Constructivist's review for the full details.

The LPGA will now take a one week break while it makes its way to the United States for the playing of the RR Donnelley Founders Cup. This is a good time to look at some statistics and notes covering the the first three tournaments of the year:
http://www.tonyslpgareport.com/2013/03/stats-facts-volume-12.html

That was a shaky win between 3 players - as in who would choke less at the end.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I caught the rerun on GC last night. Pretty wild finish with the 3 putts and all that. Stacy looks good and appears to be in for a strong season. Though NYC is my fave LPGA player so I always root for her. Amazing how strong the top of the leaderboard was yesterday. I wish the ladies got more attention. Every week features a strong field.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I caught the rerun on GC last night. Pretty wild finish with the 3 putts and all that. Stacy looks good and appears to be in for a strong season. Though NYC is my fave LPGA player so I always root for her. Amazing how strong the top of the leaderboard was yesterday. I wish the ladies got more attention. Every week features a strong field.

I think that one thing really impacting the LPGA tour right now is the influx of Asian players.  While the quality of golf is as good as ever, it's simply harder for fans to connect with a foreign player who speaks very little english or in some cases, none at all.  Golf fans like to be able to sort of "connect" with golfers.  Golfers with "personality" tend to be more popular and bring more fans to the game.
It's simply harder to make that connection, when the majority of the top golfers are from foreign, non-english speaking countries.

As I said, the quality of golf on the LPGA is probably better than it's ever been, but IMO this is a big issue, and one of the reasons why the LPGA struggles to get more attention.  I think the tour would be well served to set  up some sort of program to help foreign players transition to the US and help bridge that communication gap that is preventing fans from being able to make that connection.

I haven't sensed that. The Asian players seem refreshing to me. Obvious how hard they work, on their games and having an international voice. If anything the LPGA is progressive in that the tour is broad in spectrum. Heh, no pun intended. Though I don't doubt some of it was necessity due to the smaller market. Either way I'm a fan.

Dave :-)

The LPGA dies a slow death as the fan base drops and the tour is dominated by Asian players.

Stacy Lewis’ win changes this, and that is why the LPGA is so interested in this very young player.

--Spike

=============

BTW: I enjoy watching Asian female golfers. They are very disiplined, and they are consistent. There is a potential for greatness with every player.

USA is filled with a ton of asian immigrants.
LPGA as any lady tour needs a annika who dominates.

look at the PGA tour when Tiger is average.

Unless you have some personality its not that interesting with Golf.

Robert Something

I watched the final 9 holes. By far the best looking golfer (totally my opinion) was the American Danielle Kang: what a cutie! Finished about 5th so has some game and she is only ethnic Asian, born in SF, college at Pepperdine.  Saw some crappy putting which i later learned was due to poor greens. I also learned that if a player publicly criticizes any aspect of the course or conditions, etc, that player will be fined by the tour. So keep your mouth shut about the worm casts, the bugs flitting about and dead spots on the green. I also noticed that on no hole did the TV display any distance carried for any drive.  Unlike for the men, both  USA and European tour where the drive is often marked on a display screen, the driving distance for the ladies is kept 'secret' .  I wonder why.   Final comment: Stacy Lewis ought to take more  care in the tropical sun since she is obviously very fair skinned. Coming from USA to Singapore esp in early March finds  a huge difference in solar radiation and her face showed how red her skin can get after a few hours. This comment only relating to skin damage and resultant possible skin cancer for white people, although any color person can get skin cancer.

I admire Tontj5's dedication to LPGA-related threads on TST!

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

I admire Tontj5's dedication to LPGA-related threads on TST!

Thanks. I love the game and just want to help promote it.

Originally Posted by joekelly

I watched the final 9 holes. By far the best looking golfer (totally my opinion) was the American Danielle Kang: what a cutie! Finished about 5th so has some game and she is only ethnic Asian, born in SF, college at Pepperdine.  Saw some crappy putting which i later learned was due to poor greens. I also learned that if a player publicly criticizes any aspect of the course or conditions, etc, that player will be fined by the tour. So keep your mouth shut about the worm casts, the bugs flitting about and dead spots on the green. I also noticed that on no hole did the TV display any distance carried for any drive.  Unlike for the men, both  USA and European tour where the drive is often marked on a display screen, the driving distance for the ladies is kept 'secret' .  I wonder why.   Final comment: Stacy Lewis ought to take more  care in the tropical sun since she is obviously very fair skinned. Coming from USA to Singapore esp in early March finds  a huge difference in solar radiation and her face showed how red her skin can get after a few hours. This comment only relating to skin damage and resultant possible skin cancer for white people, although any color person can get skin cancer.

I have known Stacy a long time. She has a skin condition and the reness you see on TV is not from the sun. It is there in the winter also.

Note: This thread is 4040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!