IGNORED

Wedges

Note: This thread is 4037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a i20 PW 46 degrees and I am looking to get a vokey PW. I currently have vokey 54 and 58. I hit the 58 about 85 yards and the 54 about 105. What degree of vokey PW should I get, 46, 47, 48? If 47 should I bend a 46 or 48? Thanks Mack

Originally Posted by Mack H

I have a i20 PW 46 degrees and I am looking to get a vokey PW. I currently have vokey 54 and 58. I hit the 58 about 85 yards and the 54 about 105. What degree of vokey PW should I get, 46, 47, 48? If 47 should I bend a 46 or 48?

Thanks Mack

What degree is your 9 iron?

Driver - 10.5° Callaway RAZR Fit 

3 Wood - 15° Callaway Diablo Octane

Hybrid - 18.25° & 21° Titleist 913H 

Irons 5-PW - Cleveland CG16 Satin Chrome

Gap Wedge - 50° MD Golf NV Drew Standard Bounce 

Sand Wedge - 56° Cleveland 588 RTX 

Lob Wedge - 60° Cleveland 588 RTX 

Putter - Cleveland Classic Black Platinum 6

If you have room in the bag I would get a 50* and keep the I20 PW, unless you don't like that wedge in which case you'll need to answer the 9i question. 8* is a pretty big gap. I'd probably go 48* to try and tighten up those gaps.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to the forum!

You're looking to replace your current PW with the Vokey?

While you could split the difference with a 48*, I think 6* is too big of a gap between your the PW and what I assume is the 42* 9-iron as well as the 54* SW.

If your current 46* wedge is working for you, I'd keep that the PW at 46* and consider making room for a 50* gap wedge in there to close.......well, the gap, between the PW and your 54* SW.

My .02 worth.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

+1 on David's comments.  Your numbers are exactly the same as mine including yardage.  My PW is 46 goes about 120-125.  My 54 is ~100 -105, so I have a gap wedge at 50 deg for 110-115.  This lets me do full swings for those distances.  I use the 58 for 85 and down.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Welcome to the forum!  You're looking to replace your current PW with the Vokey? While you could split the difference with a 48*, I think 6* is too big of a gap between your the PW and what I assume is the 42* 9-iron as well as the 54* SW. If your current 46* wedge is working for you, I'd keep that the PW at 46* and consider making room for a 50* gap wedge in there to close.......well, the gap, between the PW and your 54* SW. My .02 worth.

I am looking to replace it with a vokey so I can use it around the greens more. My 9 iron is 41 degrees and if it still works I would like to only have 3 wedges. So should I get a 48 or 46 vokey or bend one to 47 degrees? I also see that ping has a 47 degree. I would consider the ping wedge also.

Why do you think that a Vokey wedge would be more useful around the green than what you have now?

In David's bag....

Why do you think that a Vokey wedge would be more useful around the green than what you have now?

My guess is because its tough to open the face on an i20 PW.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

+ (whatever number it's up to now) on the option of adding a 50 in between the PW you already have and the 54.  Check out my signature ... I basically have exactly what everybody is recommending for you.  (my PW is 46.5 and my U is 50)  However, I don't really use it around the greens anyway.  And because my 50 UW is also an i20, I don't use it around the greens much either.

But why would I need to?  The 54.5 pretty much takes care of all jobs around the green ... I hardly use the 59 anymore.  Just for short-sided pitches and short bunker shots.  The 54.5 is verrrrrrry useful for me. :)

However, if you insist on replacing the PW with a different wedge, I'd say you get another 46 AND a 50.  41 to 47 or 48 to 54 is a couple of really big gaps you don't need that close to the hole.  Dump a 4 wood or a hybrid if you have to. :)

The vokey PW even bent to 46 will be way heavier and you won't be able to hit is as far on full shots. I would keep it and get a 50, or a 52, or a 56 vokey and use that around the greens.  The more bounce the better generally I think.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

My guess is because its tough to open the face on an i20 PW.

I guess..... but he has higher lofted wedges in the bag. I still say, just add a 50* gap wedge and you're done.

In David's bag....

I guess..... but he has higher lofted wedges in the bag. I still say, just add a 50* gap wedge and you're done.

That's what I say too. I never use my PW for anything but full shots. I have NEVER used it to actually hit a pitch shot. Your 54 and 58 are perfect for around the green and adding a 50 will fill that hole in your wedge set up.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I [quote name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/65299/wedges#post_817168"] That's what I say too. I never use my PW for anything but full shots. I have NEVER used it to actually hit a pitch shot. Your 54 and 58 are perfect for around the green and adding a 50 will fill that hole in your wedge set up.[/quote] I noticed Rory uses a 46 then right to 54.

That's what I say too. I never use my PW for anything but full shots. I have NEVER used it to actually hit a pitch shot. Your 54 and 58 are perfect for around the green and adding a 50 will fill that hole in your wedge set up.

Thanks I think that's what I'll probably do and keep the PW.

I I noticed Rory uses a 46 then right to 54.

You ain't Rory.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 4037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!