IGNORED

Who Is Your All-time Favorite Golfer?

dfreuter415
Note:Β This thread is 2876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

It's possibly a generational thing in terms of formative influences at an impressionable age, but I'd be another in the Tom Watson fan club.

Contrary to what you might think, there were no shortage of European fans in 1984 who groaned as he over-hit his approach at the 17th at St Andrews to end up on the road and hand Ballesteros the title. He would have matched Vardon had he picked up the claret jug that year, and in doing so complete a clean sweep of the Scottish roster. I'm not so sure he was ever quite the same player again. As regards Turnberry in 2009, I still think this is one of the biggest tragedies in all sport

You never hear a bad word said about Tom in Scotland, and if Europe has to lose the forthcoming Ryder Cup, then I can't think of a more appropriate captain we'd want to lose to. I think there's quite a few good golf reasons (and commercial ones) for quietly hoping America does prevail in September

Tom Watson. He has genuine grace to go with superb skills. When he was at his prime, competing for Majors, he had serious competition from some of the best players the game has ever seen, and he still knocked it around with ease.

The best Major I ever saw, and one which I don't think will ever be bettered, was the 1977 British Open. The last two rounds by Tom & Jack... WOW!

The much celebrated 'Duel in the Sun'

They tell a lesser known story at Turnberry from 1994 when playing only from the ambient light of the clubhouse at midnight, two people were spotted out on the pitch and putt course whilst every one else was lapping up a bit of Scottish hospitality in the 19th

On going out to investigate who could be playing golf at this time? ..... well you can probably guess the identities of the two people involved. They were playing a "Duel in the Dark"

• 2 years later...

Tiger.Β 

In my lifetime, there has been no one more exciting and fun to watch.Β 

Not to say Tiger's a great guy (or that he isn't) . .but when it comes to golf - Tiger at his best was THE BOMB. Β 

Freddy Couples. Flying right elbow and big drives. When I started playing as a kid, I used to try and copy Freddy's swing and tempo. Fast forward 15-20 yrs and Now I'm plagued with bad habits!Β 

Matt - "I am very happy to be here!"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess forΒ me, I'm not sure I could pin down just one golfer as myΒ all time favorite. It seems going back to my youth, I would pick someone different every 3Β or 4Β years to root for. Not sure I could call any of them my all time favorite. So going back to when I first took up the game, these would be the players I liked and followed. As I got older it changed and is still changing to this day.

Ben Crenshaw

John Cook

Mark CalcavecchiaΒ 

Fred Couples

John Daly

Jerry Kelly

Pat Perez

Russell Henley

Patrick Reed

Chris Kirk

Rickie Fowler

Β 

Β 

Phil

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Phil.

I love his go for broke play style and he's always fun to follow on practice rounds. There's something to be said about a guy who can shoot the shit in an informal round but still be respectful and geared to win during a PGA match.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

Β 

Β 

• Upvote 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9Β° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16Β° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5Β° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff β€’ / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff β€’
  • Glide SS - 54Β° / CFS Wedge β€’ / Glide 2.0 SS - 58Β°/10 / KBS 120S β€’ / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"Β  -Β  :titleist: - Pro V1 / WhiteΒ  -Β  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

My favorite all-time golfer is a friend named Tom who taught me some of the best golfing tips ever. I had given up golf for about 15 years, but Tom encouraged me and got me playing again.Β 

For me Ernie Els for his all round game. At one point he was good enough to actually challenge and beat Tiger. The other purely for his swing and long hitting was Long John Daly

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Lee Trevino, Arnold Palmer from myΒ youth, Ernie Els and Phil Mickelson today.

GolfΒ kept me close to my father during the four years in the 1960's thatΒ I worked for him on weekends as his caddy. I didn't play then, but later did start playing once he insisted "it was time". It's been a joy ever since.

Adams Tight Lies 2 ST Driver 9 Deg.
Adams Tight Lies 2 ST 3 Wood
Future owner of Titleist Irons & Vokey Wedges
1968 Shakespeare Gary Player Signature Mallet PutterΒ (A gift from my Dad)
Β 

Note:Β This thread is 2876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!