IGNORED

Who Is Your All-time Favorite Golfer?

dfreuter415
Note: This thread is 2855 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Byron Nelson.  His achievements in 1945 - 11 consecutive wins, 18 wins total,  still stands as by far the greatest 12 months in the history of the sport, notwithstanding that WWII had watered down the tour so he wasn't facing Hogan , Mangrum, etc... for the full year (Ben and Snead played at least partial seasons that year).  Potentially his 11 consecutive wins may very well become one of the two or three longest-standing records in any sport, other than Cy Young's records, which will never be broken because no pitcher will be throwing 3+ times a week like he did, so no one will ever again pitch in as many games as he did (a friend of mine who is a sports trivia expert advises that his record for losses, not wins, will be the longest-standing sports record of all time, as not only will no one pitch that many games but they'll never be kept on the team with that many losses).  The only athlete I can think of who was that dominant was Russian wrestler Alexander Karelin.

And, unlike contemporaries such as Bobby Jones (a bigot) and Hogan (an arrogant and aloof ass), Nelson was known as being a gentleman to everyone - I've never heard a single negative thing ever said about him.  If he hadn't decided to retire at age 34 and hadn't been denied years worth of cancelled majors during WWII, it is very likely that we'd be calling him the greatest golfer of all time, not having a debate about whether Tiger will ever overtake Nicklaus.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by MJK3122

I would have to say Phil Mickelson.  I like his go for broke attitude and interaction with fans.  My family, like the OP's is from Western PA and im just too young to have seen Arnie in his prime.  Phil, at least to me, seems like the Arnie of this generation.  He just does it his way.

+1

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Steve Stricker.  As a kid who grew up in the same little town in Wisconsin that Stricker is from, he was always a local hero.  Even if he and I werent from the same area, I think Id still be a Stricker fan simply because he is such a great model for being the kind of person that we should all strive to be: treating others with such respect and grace and never giving up no matter what life throws at you.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Adam Scott, I love his attitude towards the game and how humble he is, this is quite evident during his press conference after the meltdown at Lytham.  I hope he goes on to win majors (I believe he'll win multiple).  Also his swing is simply beautiful to look at.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Originally Posted by RetroJFrancisco

Probably someone none of you will have ever heard off.. Bradley Dredge.

You're right.  Rather than Google him and pretend that I've heard of him I'll just ask, who is he and why is he your favorite of all time?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

You're right.  Rather than Google him and pretend that I've heard of him I'll just ask, who is he and why is he your favorite of all time?

He lives very very close to me, a fellow welshman! One year, think it might have been the 07 masters..(the year Z.Johnson won) On the Saturday we were all in a local pub, we looked up to the screen to see Bradley Dredge tied for either second or third! We were all so excited for him, a local boy taking on the world! haha. This year he has lost his european tour card which is sad to see, he was never cut out to make millions, nor was he the best golfer, but he always knew he was from humble beginnings, and was a true nice man.

• Upvote 1

Payne Stewart. Class act, gentleman and jokester all in one, loved by all and hated by none. Oh yea, and the swing. The poster child for tempo. He was and still is my swing model.

We still miss you Payne.

dak4n6

Payne Stewart. loved by all and hated by none.

Don't mean to be contentious, but I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Tom Watson.

One of the greatest links players of all.

Plus he was just a really great Champion, lots of good qualities and NO bullshit.

I've been following golf since about the mid-1980s, and I agree w/ your selection.

As far as the player whose golf swing I tried to copy over the years, I think that would be Sir Nick.

All time... Bernhard Langer. My first memory of golf was going to my Grandfather's golf club, Boca Pointe, for a lesson on the driving range. Walking down from the clubhouse my grandfather, Pa, saw a familiar face on the putting green so we swung by to say hello. They chatted for a few minutes about the course and the weather... and the rest of my trip Pa was giddy like a school girl for running into Bernhard that day with me. It's a shame Pa didn't live to see my love of the game rival his... but I do snatch up a few Langer memorabilia items to keep in my golf studio to remind me of that day. As far as players these days... there are so many good guys out on tour to route for.

good choice -  I was able to get inside the ropes with Langer and his caddy at the Heidelberg St Leon-Rot course (Deutche-Bank, I believe - I think it was in 2000)  - followed him the whole practice round with one or two other people. Once in a lifetime deal for me.  Then last year he came to Tampa and I sat and watch he and his caddy Terry practice for quite awhile. He's one of the great ones - very meticulous in his practice.

Note: This thread is 2855 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!