IGNORED

Bowed left hand position at the top of the swing

Note: This thread is 4055 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all first post!

Been playing for a little over a year, I think I have my irons down ok with the help of this book called Finally the Golf Swings Simple Secrets, I believe it states to have a more upright and steep backswing, problem is it doesnt work with my woods or now that I have bought a driver to play the bigger courses, I understand with those clubs you have to swing more around your body.

With that said I stumbled across a youtube video:

What are your thoughts in this video? it states to bow "roll" the wrist at the top of the backswing (think Dustin Johnson), I have tried multiple methods and clubs to cure the slice but no help, any thoughts on this method? I want to give it a shot, any tips?

Thanks everyone!

I don't think it's bad advice, but it seems to me all he is really getting you to do is turn your wrists over in your swing. That coupled with a inside out swing path will get you hitting draws.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the message is right on.  I have been working on this for the last month or so.  I was fighting a slice at times and realized that it was because my left wrist was cupped.  It's a work in progress currently with me, but I can tell you that when I get my left wrist bowed at the top, there is no slice.  This combined with me shifting my weight properly has gotten me driving the ball much better.  Before every drive I hit would always have slice spin on the ball because of my cupped left wrist and lack of weight shift.  Now with correct weight shift and a bowed left wrist, I'm not hitting every fairway but my ball is not slicing anymore.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Goinglow59

I dont know about that... a bowed left wrist is caused by a weak grip and it is much better to have a flat left at the top of the backswing!

Tell that to Graeme McDowell and Dustin Johnson. And Hogan had a very weak grip and cupped his wrist at the top.

You don't hit the ball at the top of the backswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by aalenkin

What are your thoughts in this video? it states to bow "roll" the wrist at the top of the backswing (think Dustin Johnson), I have tried multiple methods and clubs to cure the slice but no help, any thoughts on this method? I want to give it a shot, any tips?

Thanks everyone!

If your problem is a slice I wouldn't be worrying about the wrist alignments at the top of the back swing.  Guys on tour hit draws, from flat, cupped and bowed positions.  I'd take a look at Keys #2 and 3

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 4055 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!