IGNORED

Can Someone Please Explain the AimPoint Putting Technique?

Note: This thread is 3290 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I really like Aimpoint's idea on using physics and charts to control putting techniques and reading greens. I like incorporating math/science into golf, it helps keep my mind busy and not worrying about missing the putt. The thing is, the classes are quite pricey and I really can't afford it. Can someone who has taken it, help run me through it and/or just tell me the basic ideas? I understand the "CD" reference and how every putt has 2 straight lines or similar to that aspect, but could you elaborate?
Thanks so much and may god bless you all! ^_^

In My Bag..

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 9.5* Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Taylormade Burner 2009 15* Stiff GraphiteShaft
5 Wood: Powerbilt Oversized 21* Stiff Steel Shaft
3-PW Irons: Cleveland 588 Forged MB Irons with Stiff Shaft
SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 2009 56* wedge with 14* of bounce, Stiff Steel Shaft

LW: N/A yet
Putter: Taylormade Monte Carlo 7 -34" with Superstroke 3.0 Slim grip
Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

Nope, sorry. Some things in life you just have to pay for.
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by jamo

Nope, sorry. Some things in life you just have to pay for.

Yep. Save up, take a class. Best ~$200 you can spend on golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have never taken an Aim Point class, but am sort of familiar with it. There are several green methods, Aim Point being one, that utilize green slope and speed to determine the amount of break.  You can check online and you will find lots of discussions about it.  Just typing "green reading" into Google will return 1.6 Billion hits.

Ditto what everybody else has said above.  Take a class ... you won't be disappointed. :)

P.S.  I was just like you prior to taking a class.  Heard a lot of buzz, but couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was.  But I figured, I'm not a great putter, have no idea how to read a green, and could use the help, so I went for it!

Maybe you could sell one of your not-broken drivers to help pay for the course...
  • Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Ditto what everybody else has said above.  Take a class ... you won't be disappointed. :)

P.S.  I was just like you prior to taking a class.  Heard a lot of buzz, but couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was.  But I figured, I'm not a great putter, have no idea how to read a green, and could use the help, so I went for it!

have no idea how to read a green?? You don't mean that do you?

I mean....it looks to me like it's going to break to the right by about a foot ...then flatten out, and roll down hill.

Aimpoint.... schmaimpoint...

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

have no idea how to read a green?? You don't mean that do you? I mean....it looks to me like it's going to break to the right by about a foot ...then flatten out, and roll down hill. Aimpoint.... schmaimpoint...

My guess is an open mind is not a virtue in the Logman household. In a nutshell, going through the scientific process so you know the the putt will break right by a foot is Aimpoint. Knowing where, how and what to look for is how aim point helps you. But it's not for everyone.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Take the course.  I can be explained a lot better by a qualified instructor.  You will not regret it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by logman

I mean....it looks to me like it's going to break to the right by about a foot ...then flatten out, and roll down hill.

Logman schmogman never disappoints in his consistency of response.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by logman

Yeah, no idea.  Previous to Aimpoint, I did exactly what you described.  But here's the difference:  The old way would leave me unsure because it was always just a guess.  Lack of confidence is a killer in putting.  So, with Aimpoint, I can "know for sure" that it breaks a foot, because the system has confirmed my "guess," which makes it not a guess.  So even when I read the putt correctly in the past, the level of confidence wasn't as high as it is with Aimpoint.  That only leads to less made putts.  So worst case scenario (meaning you are already good at reading greens) Aimpoint boosts your confidence level by confirming your reads.

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Logman schmogman never disappoints in his consistency of response.

Except it's also very inconsistent.  He's all about alternative methods, and different swings, and there's lots of ways to skin a cat, right?  So, then, it would stand to reason that he should be intrigued by the idea of a different way of doing something like green reading.  But, obviously not.  So that really only steers me to the conclusion that he's being contrarion for kicks.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Except it's also very inconsistent.

Exactly, consistently inconsistent with a contrarian flair.

The OP can google it for more information. I have done so and even looked for a class close by. For those of you that use it, how much time does it take to calculate and be confident. I am thinking that you can probably do it in the same amount of time that you would normally use. Good point about the "knowing for sure" as lack of confidence, can ruin the best read putt.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Exactly, consistently inconsistent with a contrarian flair.

The OP can google it for more information. I have done so and even looked for a class close by. For those of you that use it, how much time does it take to calculate and be confident. I am thinking that you can probably do it in the same amount of time that you would normally use. Good point about the "knowing for sure" as lack of confidence, can ruin the best read putt.

LOL.

It doesn't take long at all.  It takes a lot of practice to get good at using it, but on the course while playing, it takes as long as it takes to ... pace off your putt to the hole, stop for a few seconds halfway back, walk behind the putt to pick your aimpoint (while walking back there, your getting the number from the chart), step up and hit it.

And because I can frequently pace off the putt ahead of time, if I'm not the first to putt, I can skip that part.  If you were previously the type of putter who reads a putt from behind the ball, and behind the hole, and the side, aimpoint would actually be faster.  If you were the type to just read from directly behind the ball, it might be a tad slower, but it's still really quick.

Erik did a demo at our class and I want to say it was something like 20 seconds from the time he marked his ball to the time he hit it, after going through the whole process.

It only took me three or so practice sessions to get it down to 15 to 20 seconds.  After a while, you can estimate the distance very accurately, so you don't even need to pace it off.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It takes me at least 260 seconds to get my read and hit the putt.  15 to 20 seconds to get the PADS.  Then 240 seconds of me standing over the putt trying to talk myself into pulling the trigger.  Am I doing it wrong?

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

It takes me at least 260 seconds to get my read and hit the putt.  15 to 20 seconds to get the PADS.  Then 240 seconds of me standing over the putt trying to talk myself into pulling the trigger.  Am I doing it wrong?

You forgot about the extra 90 seconds to run back to the cart and get another ball after you finally pulled the trigger and then yipped it into the pond in front of the green. :)

Haha guys. I'm considering it, if you guys swear by it..

In My Bag..

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 9.5* Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Taylormade Burner 2009 15* Stiff GraphiteShaft
5 Wood: Powerbilt Oversized 21* Stiff Steel Shaft
3-PW Irons: Cleveland 588 Forged MB Irons with Stiff Shaft
SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 2009 56* wedge with 14* of bounce, Stiff Steel Shaft

LW: N/A yet
Putter: Taylormade Monte Carlo 7 -34" with Superstroke 3.0 Slim grip
Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

Note: This thread is 3290 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!