IGNORED

how many people do you know that lie about their score?

tuffluck
Note: This thread is 3923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Where and when you play has a lot to do with it.....................

IE....if you play early at a quality course, your chances of pairing with better golfers increase exponentially.  If you play cheap muni-golf later....chances are you will meet the shirtless beer belly golfers.   It really depends on when and where you play.................

If you want to pair-up with better golfers, play better courses.   Play early before the hackers invade..........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Where and when you play has a lot to do with it.....................

IE....if you play early at a quality course, your chances of pairing with better golfers increase exponentially.  If you play cheap muni-golf later....chances are you will meet the shirtless beer belly golfers.   It really depends on when and where you play.................

If you want to pair-up with better golfers, play better courses.   Play early before the hackers invade..........

And if I may........

........ when you do get paired with better players, it doesn't matter if you hit the ball 90+ times to their 75, as long as you don't slow down the overall pace of play.  Likewise, they also don't care that this is your "worst round ever" and that you "normally shoot in the low 80's".......

Playing with better players is a very good way to improve your own game.  Keep up and be a positive playing companion that fits in with their group, and you may be invited back.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

And if I may........

........ when you do get paired with better players, it doesn't matter if you hit the ball 90+ times to their 75, as long as you don't slow down the overall pace of play.  Likewise, they also don't care that this is your "worst round ever" and that you "normally shoot in the low 80's".......

Playing with better players is a very good way to improve your own game.  Keep up and be a positive playing companion that fits in with their group, and you may be invited back.

I completely agree with this.  My own experience has been that when I get to play with low handicappers (say 6 or less) they are gracious and encouraging, rather than disparaging, about my high 80s to mid 90s game.  But I play fast, know when it is my turn, and can read the social situation and fit in with their group's way of doing things.  And so I am welcome to join them any time they don't have a full group.

To have good playing companions you have to be a good playing companion.  And it is not about the level of your game.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Personally I do not understand this psychology.  Putting a 10 on the card can ruin someone's mood?  To me GETTING a 10 will ruin my mood.  Making believe it didn't happen doesn't make me feel better.

You appear to possess something they used to call a "conscience" (how quaint ....). Some don't, apparently.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I completely agree with this.  My own experience has been that when I get to play with low handicappers (say 6 or less) they are gracious and encouraging, rather than disparaging, about my high 80s to mid 90s game.  But I play fast, know when it is my turn, and can read the social situation and fit in with their group's way of doing things.  And so I am welcome to join them any time they don't have a full group. To have good playing companions you have to be a good playing companion.  And it is not about the level of your game.

Agreed. To be honest I cannot remember a single low capper who has been obnoxious or other than courteous. Sometimes they are rather quiet and focused of course, understandable. Like the big dude (retired pro footballer?) in my group at Pebble. He was really pounding them, fairly accurately, off the tee (e.g. seriously cutting par 4 corners) and had a decent short game. In such a case I try hard not to interrupt their mental flow and just observe their play very closely - maybe there IS something to this osmosis theory of game improvement. :>)

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by David in FL

And if I may........

+1

My father knew he was not the best golfer but he knew he was fast and prided himself on pace of play. In the end, that has more bearing on who you find enjoyable to play with and who you don't want to see again. This advice actually applies to everyone. No one wants to be put on a slower pace of play because of any player whether they shoot 75 or 105.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

We played a society day recently,in fact they are great bunch of guys many I have known for years. There were about 20+ of us last time. Weather wasn't bad so we went off staggered tees because of the members. The guy who organises it is a member and plays of an 18 roughly. Some of the others were mid handicaps also, one who was a low capper.

However the large precentage were high handicaps due to lack of playing regulary. So the course is loaded so time is an issue,I think our group was out for 4-5 hours. Some of the rules of golf just are not possible to enforce on a busy day especially a Friday. The course is in the city and very popular club to be a member at.

Most of the time OB comes in to play off the tee,I lost 2 balls last time so a provisional is obvious when you know it went into trees. Always hit one if you are not sure. It saves time,I also got into the habit of playing ready golf,getting to my ball early walking along the outside of the fairway out of harms way. You only come a cropper if someone is really bad. This has only happened once or twice with guys who had only taken up the game very recently.

We play stableford but for the purpose of seeing what I shot I didn't pick up got an 8 and a 9 on two holes both were OB off the tee.

Fabrication of scores goes on a lot but when it's sneaky it's very frustrating especially when you are told by said player that they shot lower than you and gloat about it. Rare for this to happen,but when it's open and a bit of a laugh and for the purpose of not holding anyone else up then fine.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

• 2 weeks later...

I played this weekend, one of the persons i play with (family) hits 3 or 4 different balls either off the tee or in the fairways until he like what he hits. He then plays the best one and takes the time to pick every bad ball up, talk about taking time to play around.

He only counts the good shots none of the bad or lost balls, kills me when I hear, I am putting on three when he sprayed balls all over the fairway and then turns in his score.

What ever his issue not mine and will only hurt him in the end.

Or maybe it is my issue, adds over an hour plus to play around and the group behind looks like they would like to shoot us.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Originally Posted by hacker101

I played this weekend, one of the persons i play with (family) hits 3 or 4 different balls either off the tee or in the fairways until he like what he hits. He then plays the best one and takes the time to pick every bad ball up, talk about taking time to play around.

He only counts the good shots none of the bad or lost balls, kills me when I hear, I am putting on three when he sprayed balls all over the fairway and then turns in his score.

What ever his issue not mine and will only hurt him in the end.

Or maybe it is my issue, adds over an hour plus to play around and the group behind looks like they would like to shoot us.

I would give him a lesson on golf ettiquette AND let him know that he actually didn't even have a score...Family or not (actually especially family).

I will say that I used to "cheat" a lot more than I do now.  When I played regularly (2-3 times a week) in Springfield, Missouri, some of the courses I'd play were poorly maintained.  One of them, Horton Smith, was notorious for its hard-pan fairways with little rocks in the dirt.  I'm not one to sacrifice equipment just so I can say I played every shot as it was, and I wasn't competing against anyone else, so I had no qualms about moving the ball a little if I was worried what it was sitting on (just like the LPGA this past weekend playing under their lift-clean-place rules).  It's pretty sad when you can hit a drive in the middle of the fairway and still be forced to hit from conditions like that.  Haven't been back to Horton in probably 20 years, but I hope they take better care of their course now.

I don't play many poorly-maintained courses these days.  But when you're "poor" you can't always play at country clubs and pro-quality courses, so I did what I felt I needed to do to continue the game (it's not like I could afford new clubs every few years).

I realize some people think that any time the rules aren't strictly followed it's "cheating".  While that may be true in competitions, I'd argue that it's not necessarily a black-and-white issue.  And if you think it is, I'd argue that you've probably been a little spoiled by perfectly manicured courses and might have forgotten that not everyone is as lucky as you are.

Just like a few others have already said...intent has a lot to do with it.  Don't throw all of us into the same category as the people who actually lie about the number of shots they took, or don't bother to count a shot because _____ (insert lame excuse here).

Originally Posted by dave67az

I will say that I used to "cheat" a lot more than I do now.  When I played regularly (2-3 times a week) in Springfield, Missouri, some of the courses I'd play were poorly maintained.  One of them, Horton Smith, was notorious for its hard-pan fairways with little rocks in the dirt.  I'm not one to sacrifice equipment just so I can say I played every shot as it was, and I wasn't competing against anyone else, so I had no qualms about moving the ball a little if I was worried what it was sitting on (just like the LPGA this past weekend playing under their lift-clean-place rules).  It's pretty sad when you can hit a drive in the middle of the fairway and still be forced to hit from conditions like that.

The closest "golf course" (using the term loosely) to my house would give goat tracks a bad name to call it a goat track. The "fairways" have almost as much rock as grass, and I mean areas of solid flat rock. Plus it's easier to make a putt on the gravel road in front of my house than it is on those greens. Nobody would even think of trying to play that course and actually keep score. To play the ball as it lies would mean having to buy a new set of clubs after every round. I've played that course many times and still have no idea what I have shot (or could shoot) on that course because I've never played it by the rules of golf. It's good for some par 3 practice and that's about it.

It does have the hardest par 3 in the world though. Ha ha!

Originally Posted by MS256

The closest "golf course" (using the term loosely) to my house would give goat tracks a bad name to call it a goat track. The "fairways" have almost as much rock as grass, and I mean areas of solid flat rock. Plus it's easier to make a putt on the gravel road in front of my house than it is on those greens. Nobody would even think of trying to play that course and actually keep score. To play the ball as it lies would mean having to buy a new set of clubs after every round. I've played that course many times and still have no idea what I have shot (or could shoot) on that course because I've never played it by the rules of golf. It's good for some par 3 practice and that's about it.

It does have the hardest par 3 in the world though. Ha ha!

Some people just don't realize what us hillbilly golfers have to put up with.  lol

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by MS256

I would give him a lesson on golf ettiquette AND let him know that he actually didn't even have a score...Family or not (actually especially family).

He feels entitled to what ever he wants to do or how he wants to do it. Believe me if it was not my father in law I would say some thing but until  6 months ago there was no love lost between us. I just hate having to hear it after a round, but what ever like I said not my game, it just drives me nuts!

As they say you can pick your friends not your family!

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

He feels entitled to what ever he wants to do or how he wants to do it. Believe me if it was not my father in law I would say some thing but until  6 months ago there was no love lost between us. I just hate having to hear it after a round, but what ever like I said not my game, it just drives me nuts!

You are right that is it YOUR issue.  But if I were in your position, it would be an issue for ME, too.  I tried to imagine what I'd do if it were me.  My father-in-law isn't alive (he died when my wife was young) so you can go at this one of two ways:  either ignore it and enjoy the time with him while he's here (assuming the man is important to you to begin with) or frankly tell him that you're not enjoying the time on the golf course and you'd rather not play with him any more until he starts following the rules because it's just coming between the two of you.

The last thing you want to happen is for him to die one day and for you to realize you threw away time with him because he wasn't following the rules of a stupid game.

Well I admit that in-laws are much more complicated than other family members. In regards to slowing down play I would start dropping some stronger and stronger hints that we needed to keep up the pace. If it became obvious that was never going to work I would tell him flat out that I wasn't going to be involved in slowing down other golfers, and let the chips fall where they may...But that's just me.

Believe me I have even played out our holes and waiting on the next tee thinking he would get the hint. Instead he is fishing balls out of the water after he hit a half dozen in.

None of us are very good, so I will let others play ahead to keep it going and then i hear why did you let them play ahead. I just ack like I did not hear it and go about my game.

He is my father in law and my sons grandfather so I have to cut him slack and deal with it.

But I am guess I will have to start dropping hints on the slow play at the very least. As for the miss counting the strokes that is up to him.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately I used to play with a pathological liar four or five years ago.  This was before I took golf too seriously and I mainly went out to enjoy a few beers and find a few lost balls while searching for mine (luckily we don't have busy courses).  Anyways, I still knew a little bit of the rules and could not stoop to the levels that he did.  Of course you pretty much had unlimited mulligans in his eyes, the foot-wedge was one of his most popular clubs (unless he just picked up his ball and tossed it in the fairway), just about any putt inside 6 feet was a gimmie, and the more beer you drank the better your score would be.

BUT the one thing that just made me madder than anything would be hearing him brag about his scores!!  I would always be in the 100's and he would be swearing up and down he hit a 77!!  WHAT???  Did you really just claim that???  I'm so glad I don't play with him anymore and have a buddy that is now taking the game more seriously.

David

Note: This thread is 3923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!