IGNORED

Is golf really a Global game?

Jspangler
Note: This thread is 4061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When a tournament in South Africa, Australia or Turkey or wherever, can draw the depth and quality of field that the Players, Doral or the Match Play can, then it would get the coverage. But, until the big networks come over to his way of thinking, Mr. Spangler will have to content himself with watching the European Tour on the Golf Channel.

My way of thinking? Do you honestly think big names would show up for Dove Mountain if it wasn't a WGC. I am yet to hear one player say they enjoy that course. I don't care if the PGA doesn't want to disrupt travel, in the day of private jets and luxury hotels I doubt its oh so hard on them. Don't call them WORLD golf championships if you don't want to make them events across the world. They could spread them out a bit more across the calender to ease the burden on them.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the big networks could make money showing tournaments from around the world, they would be doing it.

Erik hit on a point that the Tour Pros like to link tournaments together too.  It is easier to get these types of WGC tournaments scheduled in the US around other high purse events with minimal travel in between.  The Match play was in the South West around Pheonix and Torrey Pines events.  This one was in Florida around other Florida events.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by RetroJFrancisco

Golf is HUGE here in the UK, really big, I live in Wales.. and we have a course every 5 miles easily. If you go up north to Scotland.. It is by far the biggest sport.

I can't imagine that golf is bigger than Football (Soccer) in the UK.

Another reason big tournaments are not played overseas has to do with time zones. No one wants to watch a golf tournament in (for example) Kuala Lampur that starts in the middle of the night. Watching it taped is not as interesting. Like it or not, the audiences that attract commercial sponsors are in the US and these sponsors will not pay for a major that no one watches. Even the Open Championship suffers from this issue.

Originally Posted by MSchott

I can't imagine that golf is bigger than Football (Soccer) in the UK.

Its not the biggest sport in the UK as a whole, but in Scotland it is the biggest sport I would say. It is mainly England that plays football anyway.. Wales and Scotland have got their own respective leauges, but they are no where near the size or fanbase of the English teams.

Coverage of Tiger:

The fact is that most of the audience wants all of the coverage of Tiger and, to a lessor extent, Phil that they can get. Not everybody likes it but the audience ratings fall off of the clif for the weekend when Tiger misses the cut and if he's not in the tournament at all the average audience is less than half.

I feel the same way about searching for a baseball game to watch, and only finding a Yankees game too many times to suit me. I don't like it but I can either get over it or be mad forever. Hahaha!

It's like a radio talk show that doesn't want to talk about the NFL or college football, and to a lessor extent, basketball. Sure a few hockey fans would tune in but the show would be off of the air and demolished by the other shows that find a reason to talk about football, even out of season.

It's about ratings. Not about giving each player equal coverage. If you want more coverage win more, in any sport. The Texans aren't going the get the same coverage as the Yankees. Vanderbilt is not going to get the same coverage as Alabama. And Joe Blow is not going to get the same coverage as Tiger Woods.

Its not the biggest sport in the UK as a whole, but in Scotland it is the biggest sport I would say. It is mainly England that plays football anyway.. Wales and Scotland have got their own respective leauges, but they are no where near the size or fanbase of the English teams.

Just no, fitba is by a country mile the biggest game in Scotland, second is fresh air, third might still be fresh air, then I guess golf and rugby. Golf is much more a working mans game in Scotland than in England but to suggest that golf is bigger than football in Scotland is ridiculous.

As for its mainly England that plays football you should look up some footage of the Glasgow Auld Firm game, you don't get passion like that in golf (thank goodness).

Golf is not huge in the UK. Football is way out in front then rugby and cricket, golf probably slots in somewhere after that.

Originally Posted by MS256

Coverage of Tiger:

The fact is that most of the audience wants all of the coverage of Tiger and, to a lessor extent, Phil that they can get. Not everybody likes it but the audience ratings fall off of the clif for the weekend when Tiger misses the cut and if he's not in the tournament at all the average audience is less than half.

I feel the same way about searching for a baseball game to watch, and only finding a Yankees game too many times to suit me. I don't like it but I can either get over it or be mad forever. Hahaha!

It's like a radio talk show that doesn't want to talk about the NFL or college football, and to a lessor extent, basketball. Sure a few hockey fans would tune in but the show would be off of the air and demolished by the other shows that find a reason to talk about football, even out of season.

It's about ratings. Not about giving each player equal coverage. If you want more coverage win more, in any sport. The Texans aren't going the get the same coverage as the Yankees. Vanderbilt is not going to get the same coverage as Alabama. And Joe Blow is not going to get the same coverage as Tiger Woods.

I'm one of the ones that hates the Tiger coverage, I watched golf before he came along and he ruined Majors for me from the back end of the 90's though the 00's. Back then on a Sunday coming down the stretch anything could happen - heck I even believed Monty might win one - Tiger comes along and crushes the soul out of the opposition never looks like giving one up - not so much fun.

It depends what you watch golf for - a demonstration of fantastic golf or close exciting competition. I'm pretty much totally in the latter camp but understand that the majority like a mix weighted more towards the former.

What really pissed me off was the terrible job that the networks did in promoting golfers other than Tiger when Tiger was on his breaks (injury or otherwise). The coverage was always when is "Tiger coming back" not look at these other fantastic golfers. They assumed he was coming back, which thankfully he has, but there was a point when we're talking about a 4th knee op that you think - "is he coming back" and the Networks have no contingency plan.

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Just no, fitba is by a country mile the biggest game in Scotland, second is fresh air, third might still be fresh air, then I guess golf and rugby. Golf is much more a working mans game in Scotland than in England but to suggest that golf is bigger than football in Scotland is ridiculous.

As for its mainly England that plays football you should look up some footage of the Glasgow Auld Firm game, you don't get passion like that in golf (thank goodness).

Golf is not huge in the UK. Football is way out in front then rugby and cricket, golf probably slots in somewhere after that.

What!? Are you seriously suggesting in the WHOLE of the UK that cricket is more popular than golf?! Maybe in some parts of England but certainly not the whole of the UK! Id say its close between Rugby and Golf for second and then maybe Horse Racing after those! Certainly not cricket.

Like I said they both have their respective leauges, SPL ect.. Swansea are bout the only good team in Wales to play out of Wales.. Here its Rugby, Rugby and more Rugby.

anyway it would be interesting to see any actual factual data.. If cricket is anywhere near close to the top in terms of participation/viewing I would be very surprised!

Sport TV Viewing Participating Interested In
Association football 46% 10% 45%
Rugby Union 21% NA 27%
Tennis 18% 3% 23%
Cricket 18% 2% 19%
Athletics 18% 2% 21%
Snooker 17% 5% 24%
Motor racing 16% NA 20%
Rugby League 12% NA 15%
Boxing 11% NA 14%
Golf 11% 6% 16%
Darts 9% 3% NA
Swimming NA 9% NA
Gym NA 12% 17%
Badminton NA 3% NA
Squash NA 3% NA
Watersport NA 2% NA
Skiing NA 1% NA

From wiki - A 2003 survey so bang upto date stats here!

The thing to remember is that cricket is small in Wales, Scotland & NI but is still very popular in England and England represents 83% of the population of the UK.

Sport

TV Viewing

Participating

Interested In

Association football

46%

10%

45%

Rugby Union

21%

NA

27%

Tennis

18%

3%

23%

Cricket

18%

2%

19%

Athletics

18%

2%

21%

Snooker

17%

5%

24%

Motor racing

16%

NA

20%

Rugby League

12%

NA

15%

Boxing

11%

NA

14%

Golf

11%

6%

16%

Darts

9%

3%

NA

Swimming

NA

9%

NA

Gym

NA

12%

17%

Badminton

NA

3%

NA

Squash

NA

3%

NA

Watersport

NA

2%

NA

Skiing

NA

1%

NA

From wiki - A 2003 survey so bang upto date stats here!

The thing to remember is that cricket is small in Wales, Scotland & NI but is still very popular in England and England represents 83% of the population of the UK.

Wow that is so surprising! And tennis! Im completely shocked, I could have guessed the top 2 but after that its really shocking, I would have said Golf would have been a clear cut 3rd. Learn something new everyday.. As you said England does represent 8/10 of the population..

Glad to see Rugby Union ahead of Rugby League.  I played Union.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Tennis doesn't look right - the survey must have been taken whilst Wimbledon was on! Tennis outside those 2 weeks is dead in the UK.

I was going to say hahaha, its not like we have the weather for grass tennis much either.. Once again im shocked how horse racing isnt even on that list! Would have said that was alot more popular to watch than say.. Athletics!

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Glad to see Rugby Union ahead of Rugby League.  I played Union.

And me for about 5 years, quit when I was 16, looked across the pitch to see a nice 6 foot 8 center staring me right in the eyes.

And me for about 5 years, quit when I was 16, looked across the pitch to see a nice 6 foot 8 center staring me right in the eyes.

Hello! Well did your butt planted in the dirt? (had to use the shift key )

Originally Posted by Jspangler

My way of thinking? Do you honestly think big names would show up for Dove Mountain if it wasn't a WGC. I am yet to hear one player say they enjoy that course. I don't care if the PGA doesn't want to disrupt travel, in the day of private jets and luxury hotels I doubt its oh so hard on them. Don't call them WORLD golf championships if you don't want to make them events across the world. They could spread them out a bit more across the calender to ease the burden on them.

First, they are World Golf Championships because that was the name they gave these 4 tournament, and because all tours are included and the points/money won in them count for each tour. Second, regardless of where they may be played, they include the top players in the world. Third, the 4 tournaments are spread across the calendar. Where else would you put them? Fourth, regardless of the name "World Golf Championship", none of these tournaments have anywhere near the status of the 4 existing majors.

Mr. Spangler - Think about this schedule:  West Palm Beach, Miami, Tampa, Orlando.  Then think about this schedule: West Palm Beach, Johannesburg South Africa, Tampa, Orlando. Which one makes the most sense? Private jet or no, it's still 2 days going and 2 days coming back. That's a lot of jet lag and expense without an appearance fee. And the quality of hotels doesn't matter to these guys; they get first class accommodations wherever they are.

Note: This thread is 4061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!