IGNORED

What advantages/disadvantages do the taller players have/get?

RetroJFrancisco
Note: This thread is 4063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Its always been a massive debate around here, Im turning pro in 6 months time, being 5 '7 I've always wondered what sort of advantage/disadvange im giving/recieving to the taller player..

Ive searched on the internet and the question always seems to be answered indirectly, thanks guys.

I have a theory that players with longer upper bodies and/or longer arms in relation to their leg length have an advantage. I have nothing to back up my theory except personal observation.

That has nothing to do with total height though.

Originally Posted by MS256

I have a theory that players with longer upper bodies and/or longer arms in relation to their leg length have an advantage. I have nothing to back up my theory except personal observation.

That has nothing to do with total height though.

Hmm I see what you mean, its funny and just got me thinking because most sports have a distinct advantage for a certain body type. From my experience the biggest advantage of being small is not getting buffeted around so much in the wind. Lower center of gravity ect.

Hmmm, let's see.  When we have a blind shot and have to walk forward to see our target over a rise, we don't have to walk quite as far as shorter people.

What else?? ... When the anchored putter ban goes into effect, we will probably be able to buy regular people belly putters at big discounts and use them normally.

Seriously though, if there was a really big advantage (like in basketball or tennis), then you'd have a plethora of tall people at the top of the golf world.

I think you'll be fine. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Hmmm, let's see.  When we have a blind shot and have to walk forward to see our target over a rise, we don't have to walk quite as far as shorter people.

What else?? ... When the anchored putter ban goes into effect, we will probably be able to buy regular people belly putters at big discounts and use them normally.

Seriously though, if there was a really big advantage (like in basketball or tennis), then you'd have a plethora of tall people at the top of the golf world.

I think you'll be fine. :)

Hahaha! Very good!

Yeah your probably right, interesting topic anyway, will always be open for mass debate :)

Seems like lots of the tall(er) guys, meaning in my mind, 6'1" or so and above, Colsearts..Dustin Johnson... etc. Hit the ball a bit further than shorter, or average height guys. But there are also some shorter guys Oosthuizen, McIlroy.. etc. that also pretty well bomb it.

I think that in a pair of golfers with a top .001% in the world level of swing mechanics and technique, the taller player will hit it a little bit farther, since his or her swing arc will be larger, and therefore will create more clubhead speed with a similar swing.

But if the shorter, (Rory's and Louis') of the world can get enough speed going they will give up nothing or next to nothing.

I myself am 6'1" or 6'2", and I am an awful player. Never broken 100. But I do have slightly above average distance for an amateur. 9 Iron is my 150 club, 6 Iron 185.

But I'm in the trees or the lake, or the sand with it. (I love nature, haha!!) So almost all little and large guys beat me with ease.

Originally Posted by sofingaw

Seems like lots of the tall(er) guys, meaning in my mind, 6'1" or so and above, Colsearts..Dustin Johnson... etc. Hit the ball a bit further than shorter, or average height guys. But there are also some shorter guys Oosthuizen, McIlroy.. etc. that also pretty well bomb it.

I think that in a pair of golfers with a top .001% in the world level of swing mechanics and technique, the taller player will hit it a little bit farther, since his or her swing arc will be larger, and therefore will create more clubhead speed with a similar swing.

But if the shorter, (Rory's and Louis') of the world can get enough speed going they will give up nothing or next to nothing.

I myself am 6'1" or 6'2", and I am an awful player. Never broken 100. But I do have slightly above average distance for an amateur. 9 Iron is my 150 club, 6 Iron 185.

But I'm in the trees or the lake, or the sand with it. (I love nature, haha!!) So almost all little and large guys beat me with ease.

I agree with that actually, I have just checked the long drive stats and they all are over/ or at least around 6 foot.

I have luckily never had a problem with length, Im not long by PGA tour standards (hit it 285ish on average) but certainly not a short hitter.. Maybe if I was 6 foot 3 I could be bigger than bubba! haha.

• Administrator

A steeper swing plane is less subject to variances in club path by changing the AoA. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

A steeper swing plane is less subject to variances in club path by changing the AoA. :)

Some smart guy started this thread

http://thesandtrap.com/t/64131/effects-of-lie-angle-on-varying-degrees-of-loft

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
Originally Posted by RetroJFrancisco

would this be an advantage of being a shorter player?

No. The opposite.

Originally Posted by mvmac

http://thesandtrap.com/t/64131/effects-of-lie-angle-on-varying-degrees-of-loft

That's not the same thing Mike.

I'm saying that the closer you get to a perfectly vertical swing plane, the less a change of 2° to your AoA will affect your club's path. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm 15 and 6'1 and the only advantage I seem to have is power. I can generate more power with less effort, but I have trouble drawing the ball. Of course, this could be nothing but a swing flaw on my part, but all of my shorter friends have a mean draw and have trouble fading, while I have a great fade but can't draw well. It may be because I have a much steeper swing plane.

WITB 

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha, 9*, Fubuki ZT X-Stiff Shaft

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz Stage 2 15*, Aldila NV X-Stiff Shaft

5 Wood: Taylormade Burner Superfast 18*, Aldila NV X-Stiff Shaft

Irons: Callaway Apex Pro, 4-PW, TT XP 95 S300 Shafts

Wedges: Tour Edge TGS 52* and 56*, Taylormade Z-Spin 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG #9

Assuming a player has longer arms, there is certainly an advantage in power simply because they have a wider arc and more leverage.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TristanBlevins

I'm 15 and 6'1 and the only advantage I seem to have is power. I can generate more power with less effort, but I have trouble drawing the ball. Of course, this could be nothing but a swing flaw on my part, but all of my shorter friends have a mean draw and have trouble fading, while I have a great fade but can't draw well. It may be because I have a much steeper swing plane.

Thats interesting you say that, most the shorter guys I know (most around 0 or + figures so it cant really be a swing flaw) tend to hit a draw.. It must be something to do with the swing, like I said before whats also interesting is that, around here when it gets windy.. The shorter players come to the top of the leaderboards!

Probably not using this correctly at all, but I would think taller players have an easier time hitting it further because of angular velocity/momentum/what-ever-you-call-it.  Being 6'4" myself and skinny as a rail, I have pretty good distances on my clubs.  I always thought this was because taller people have a longer swing path distance.  That means there is more time to get a higher velocity.  Obviously there are several different factors to this, but this seems to make sense to me.  I'm not sure the distance difference is all that much, but I'm sure any small difference helps.

Likewise, using that same "logic", I would think shorter people (less swing path distance) have an "easier" time controlling the swing.  A shorter swing path means there is less opportunity for things to go wrong.  Once again,  there are several factors but I imagine any small difference helps.

I'm not a physics major or anything, but this always seemed to make sense to me, so that's what I'm going with.  Any physics aficionados on here to confirm or debunk my statements?

Note:  This is just a generalization, I'm sure everyone knows a tall guy who only hits it 100 yards or some 4'5" guy who can bomb it 350 every time, so please leave those replies out.  This is an all other things being equal kind of thing.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Note: This thread is 4063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!