Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TristanBlevins

Should I Switch From Stiff to Regular Flex Shafts?

8 posts in this topic

My driver, 3 wood, and 5 wood are all equipped with stiff flex shafts, but I have a 3 hybrid with a regular flex shaft. This year I'm aiming at slowing down my swing a bit and focusing on solid contact. I haven't gotten to actually measure my swing speed yet, but I've noticed that when I hit a nice pure shot with my irons or hybrid it goes 5-10 yards farther than usual, with my 3 hybrid going about 220, even with only a 75-80 percent swing. But, my 3 wood is going only about 200 with just as solid contact, and it should be going about 260. My drives seem to only be going 240-250 when they used to go 290-300 pretty easy, even with a the huge slice I used to have. I have had a few snap hooks with these upper clubs, and I am slicing it a LOT less, but I feel like I'm overswinging on the tee. Should I wait till the year goes on and gradually speed my swing up or get regular flex shafts so I don't have to overswing with these clubs?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I would go get your swing speed checked. I have found that as I got older my swing speed has decreased so I switched from stiff to regular and have noticed a big difference.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely get your swingspeed checked.

Also, how old are you? Clubfitters say that when you hit age 53 (don't ask me why), you need to reconsider your shaft flex.

I held onto stiff shafts until age 58, and watched my HDCP climb, and the distance really fall off from my long clubs. And, it hurt my swing tempo because I was straining to regain the distance.

When the clubfitter had me hit my stiff-shafted, low-launch driver for baseline date, he said, "Man, you're really fighting that shaft."

Now I've gone too far the other way - I went with an R-flex RBZ FWs and a 4H, and had trouble hooking the lightweight shafts.

Somewhere, there's a happy medium between flex and shaft weight. Seem to have found it except in my FWs.

NOTE: If you're looking at the original RBZ FWs and have moderate clubhead speed, consider at the Tour model (non-hook face, slightly heavier shaft).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Check out the shaft fitting guide page on  golfclubshaftreview.com  it has a simple chart to help you figure out what swing speed you have and what shafts to fit.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by thefootwedge

Check out the shaft fitting guide page on  golfclubshaftreview.com  it has a simple chart to help you figure out what swing speed you have and what shafts to fit.

I tried the URL and it didn't work. Says the website's down :(

Originally Posted by cooke119

I would go get your swing speed checked. I have found that as I got older my swing speed has decreased so I switched from stiff to regular and have noticed a big difference.

Will do, I'll try to get somewhere in the next few weeks to do that!

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Definitely get your swingspeed checked.

Also, how old are you? Clubfitters say that when you hit age 53 (don't ask me why), you need to reconsider your shaft flex.

I held onto stiff shafts until age 58, and watched my HDCP climb, and the distance really fall off from my long clubs. And, it hurt my swing tempo because I was straining to regain the distance.

When the clubfitter had me hit my stiff-shafted, low-launch driver for baseline date, he said, "Man, you're really fighting that shaft."

Now I've gone too far the other way - I went with an R-flex RBZ FWs and a 4H, and had trouble hooking the lightweight shafts.

Somewhere, there's a happy medium between flex and shaft weight. Seem to have found it except in my FWs.

NOTE: If you're looking at the original RBZ FWs and have moderate clubhead speed, consider at the Tour model (non-hook face, slightly heavier shaft).

I'm only 15. Haha. I just prefer control over distance so I slowed my swing speed down considerably.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by thefootwedge

Try golfclubshaftreview.com on MSN, google or Bing.

Cheers

I checked it out, and it said I should be using extra stiff according to my 150 yard club (not sure about torque, I'll have to go get my measurements), would that by any chance give me more distance, especially with my woods?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Extra Stiff requires a strong swing. The shaft weight and torque have to be considered. This is where it can get confusing.

My advice now is to do a lot of research.

good luck

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0