IGNORED

When will Tiger reclaim #1 OWGR?

k-troop
Note: This thread is 3993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With 2 wins in 4 starts this year, it seems inevitable that Tiger will soon #1 OWGR again.  Nike will be reminded why for years they were able to have a ONE word marketing strategy for their golf division.

Rank Player Avg Pts.

1. McIlroy 11.47
2. Woods 10.48
3. Donald 7.08
4. Snedeker 6.56
5. Rose 6.53
6. Oosthuizen 6.23
7. Scott 6.00
8. Stricker 5.93
9. Kuchar 5.44
10. Mickelson 5.41

When will it happen?  How?  Post your prediction, or analysis of the OWGR shake-up scenarios, here.

I predict that Tiger will reclaim #1 with a win at the Masters, simultaneously crushing the nearly 5-year major drought and settling finally all speculation about whether Tiger can be Tiger again.  (I know, pretty unoriginal prediction--but I'm the first one to post, and I haven't done any analysis on the matter, I so I'll take the obvious fan-favorite scenario.)

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They said on SportsCenter last night that he would regain the top ranking with a win at Bay Hill. I'll say he does that.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

In the mind of the fans, he is there. For the numbers to catch up, I would say inside of 6 weeks.

Bay Hill could be it.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I think Tiger is going to have to work on working the ball right to left - so that he can win at Augusta.  Once he starts hitting draws - on holes that setup for a draw... I think he will officially be 'back'.  Right now he is still hitting an awful lot of cuts.  This past week at Doral was a perfect example of that.

But with that said... I believe Bay Hill will be the tournament where he regains #1.  He is comfortable playing there - having won the Arnold Palmer Invitational 7 times.  Who says he can't make it 8 in two weeks?

I think Tiger is going to have to work on working the ball right to left - so that he can win at Augusta.

Is that you, Johnny?

• Upvote 2

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

He would have to keep up winning, Rory looks like he is starting to come into form.  Now if Rory doesn't start to win a few he will fall to Tiger very easy.  Rory had a lot of wins late in the year that really pushed his lead as number 1, and as the year goes he will start to loose points as those tournaments pass.  I say we could see a nice stretch where Tiger and Rory will fight for the 1.  I'm sure Nike will love that.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Quote:
He would have to keep up winning, Rory looks like he is starting to come into form.  Now if Rory doesn't start to win a few he will fall to Tiger very easy.  Rory had a lot of wins late in the year that really pushed his lead as number 1, and as the year goes he will start to loose points as those tournaments pass.  I say we could see a nice stretch where Tiger and Rory will fight for the 1.  I'm sure Nike will love that.

How is Rory coming back to form? A T8 from behind in a no-cut event? I guess, if you insist.

Quote:

I think Tiger is going to have to work on working the ball right to left - so that he can win at Augusta.  Once he starts hitting draws - on holes that setup for a draw... I think he will officially be 'back'.  Right now he is still hitting an awful lot of cuts.  This past week at Doral was a perfect example of that.

But with that said... I believe Bay Hill will be the tournament where he regains #1.  He is comfortable playing there - having won the Arnold Palmer Invitational 7 times.  Who says he can't make it 8 in two weeks?

I can name another golfer, with 18 majors by the way, who played ALOT of cuts.

I'll say he will be there by Bay Hill though, to answer the OP question.

Originally Posted by Mooka

I can name another golfer, with 18 majors by the way, who played ALOT of cuts.

I was going to say something similar.  If Tiger has to hit draws at Augusta to be considered "back" then I guess Jack was never even "there", let alone "back."  Which is pretty absurd considering he is the only 6 time winner.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I predicted that Tiger would win the Masters, so I will stick with that. If he wins Farmers, Doral, and Arnies it would be hard to pick him to win a 4th so early in the season. I guess that is gamblers fallacy catching up with me.

I would love to see a final group at the Masters of Rory and Tiger on Sunday. Then #1 would be decided the right way.

Michael

Mooka he played the last 2 rounds at like 10 under par if I remember right. if he could of played the first 27-36 holes like that he would of been right there. Rory has showed he is capable of winning a lot in a short amount of time. Plus if you watch any golf or sporting news, those that get paid to report on these guys day in and day out, all are talking about how they can tell something started to click this week with Rory. He apparently felt the same way about his game by not adding any more events to his schedule like he said he would if he played bad.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

I don't see how Tigers go to shot being a cut is a bad thing. I seen him hit some low draws last weekend just fine. If anyone is implying that he lacks versatility in his shot shaping might be in for a rude awakening....

- Jered

Tiger is still going to be hitting cuts for the majority of his iron shots at Augusta.  He'll simply pull out his 3 or 5 wood to shape some draws off the tee, especially on 13 and 15.  That's my prediction, anyway.

So, can Tiger reclaim #1 with a top 5 finish at Bay Hill, or does he have to win?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

In the mind of the fans, he is there. For the numbers to catch up, I would say inside of 6 weeks.

Bay Hill could be it.

Thanx for typing for me.

:nike:Covert Tour

:wilson_staff: Fybrid RS 15*

Irons??

:tmade: Tour Preffered 54* & 60* w/ ATV grind

:rife: Trinidad Tropical

TIger has the same number of PGA wins in the last 12 months than Luke Donald has in his whole career. For the life of me I can not figure out how golf world rankings are determined. Frankly if you told me a 35 year old golfer with 5 PGA wins and 7 other wins with no majors would be rated the number one golfer in the world for the better part of a year would I say you were nuts. IMO  Tiger is the number one player in the world after that I'd say Rory is number two followed closely by a tight pack of golfers (McKelson, snedetker, stricker,......). Does anyone know what the criteria is that determines rankings? It appears to me to be similar to figure skating judging.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by club ho

For the life of me I can not figure out how golf world rankings are determined.

It's pretty straightforward, really.

Nobody else was winning much when Luke was playing pretty well, winning a few and finishing high other times.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!