IGNORED

3/4 shoulder turn...

Note: This thread is 4054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Over the past 5 years since my retirement I have gradually lost more flexibility each year. Part of it came from age, part from a 10 lb weight gain, part from abdominal surgery. I have a nice easy tempo with my 'new' 3/4 turn swing and hit my irons, hybrids, and 3wood fine. I have learned to overclub by one and lie to my playing partners when asked what club I hit. BUT my driver distance is noticeably shorter. I currently hit a 10.5 reg shafted TE Exotics clubhead speed mid 80's. I tried a 9* stiff  also TE  (the V model) this winter using simulator. After a number of tries I abandoned the trial. Clubhead speed suffered and most shots were off to the right. What should I expect if I now try a 11.5 loft with a senior shaft? My most common miss is to the left with my arms breaking down. Is there any hope the senior shaft will get me back some distance and the loft increase keep me straight? The simulator I go to does not have trial clubs for fitting so I would basically be Ebaying and then trying the club out. Really no fitters in my area other than possibly at Dicks but from conversations with the 'fitter' I think he would not be much help. They have an indoor range but the computer part is always 'broken.' I was considering either a Ping G15, K15, or Cobra s3 if that helps. Thanks. Still at least 2 weeks away from opening day here in Upstate NY.

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

See if a local shop will let you take a used senior-flex driver out on the course to try it. The 11.5* loft might help, depending on your current launch angle and swing speed. A little extra loft also helps with control.

I'm 62, and try senior flex drivers and woods about once a year. Problem: Just a slight distance increase, but I start spraying the ball all over.

In early season, you might work with the TE driver as you try alternatives. Since surgery is behind you, your swing might come back stronger and get back some distance.

Since you're still developing a post-surgery swing, consider a swing analysis with a Titleist Performance Institute team:

• A physical therapist or athletic trainer assesses you on 29 movement and flexibility measures.
  • A PGA golf pro assesses your swing, with any movement limitations in mind.

You then get an exercise routine to overcome the movement and flexibility problems. Also, the pro can help you alter your swing, if necessary, to bypass limitations. Site: http://www.mytpi.com/

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I revisited my local Dick's today.

A different clerk was on and offered to work with me.

Surprise, they had replaced the old technology that kept breaking down.

He was very helpful and we worked thru a lot of options...

Launch angles & backspin + ballspeed. Zero mention of swingspeed.

Basically we tinkered with settings to get better ball speed & more carry...

but without adding crazy off center shots... Took about 30 minutes...

Bottomline:

The combo that gave me best ball strikes was a surprise to me

11.5 Loft  Regular shaft  2*open !  (with a Bionic LH glove...)

I mention the glove because I normally do not play with a glove...

Regular shaft was clear winner over senior or stiff... No surprise, I guess.

BUT I never expected the 2* open setting was the real key...

I tried a few different brands and each time the higher loft & open setting worked best.

He was using the strike pattern decals on the face...

Once we found the 'magic' combination it was amazingly repeatable...

Strike after strike in the sweet spot...

Now if I could just get some more shoulder turn back to increase ball speed to 130+...

the Callaway Hot razr Extreme was the sweetest over all...

But unfortunately way out of my target price range...

Now I'll start the hunt for an adjustable 11.5 regular shafted used club...

Maybe a Cobra S3 or Nike VR? Since I need to be able to open the face...

I think the clerk was bored and business was slow so I got more attention than usual!

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

Note the shaft used on the club you hit best. "Regular" can mean a lot of things, especially when it comes to the shaft bend profile and tip flexibility - not all "regular" shafts are the same. Look up some of Tom Wishon's on-line discussions on shaft selection for more info.

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

Note: This thread is 4054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!