IGNORED

Callaway Driver and Fairway Wood

Note: This thread is 4061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Right now I own the Callaway Octane Driver and the Octane fairway wood.   Due to back issues, could not play until the end of the golf season last year for about 8 rounds.  I was hitting the Octane Driver well, but noticed that my ball flight was very high.   I had the stock Grafalloy Project X 5.0 (regular Flex) shaft.

Two years ago, had some numbers on the launch monitor with my coach.  Summary of that session and then the recommendation of purchasing the Octane.

ClubSpeed Ball Velocity Launch Angle Ball Spin
93.8184375 137.68125 15.815625 2278.40625

Here is the info on the Octane driver.

Loft Lie CC Face Angle Available In Length Swing Weight
9.5° 57° 460 Square RH Only 46 D4

The shaft is 60 weight, Mid Torque, Low Kick point.

I was considering either changing the shaft, or getting the newer X-Hot driver as that shaft (Project X again) has a slightly higher kick point.   While I seem to be on the border with my swing speed, I was going to stick with the Regular flex shaft.

I have always liked the Callaway Drivers/Woods, so will probably stick with this brand.

Thanks.

If possible, get on the launch monitor and compare different drivers and shafts.

Also, don't rule out the XFit Extreme, or the original XFit. If you're working on your game, the ability to make slight adjustments might prove useful.

As for shafts, be sure to consider weight differences. Recent reports indicate that lighter shafts may be more difficult to control for the average golfer, because you can't feel them well on takeaway and at the top. Too-light shafts can be difficult to "drop into the slot."

As for kickpoint, this tends to be a fine-tuning factor. The guys at GolfWorks say shaft flex and weight are more critical.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!