IGNORED

Playing alone question

JeMo636
Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by dpgator33

Sounds like I'm in the minority, but I find I play better/concentrate more when I'm alone.  When I play with others I tend to feel rushed, like they're waiting for me to play so they can hit or something.  When I'm alone, I take more time to line up the shot and my practice swing(s) are more deliberate and with better tempo.  It's my own fault for not taking ownership of my own game, but it's a big reason why I perfer to play alone.

I will say for myself also, that I'm not someone who will come out at 9am on a nice day and expect to be let on the course by myself, especially because I walk most of the time.  I'm almost always first on the course, OR I will come later in the afternoon when it's slower, at least on the tee sheet.  I may run up on some people, but unless I'm chasing the setting sun, I'll be walking and taking my time so as not to play behind people.

Originally Posted by tuffluck

i am with you for sure.  i play faster and more focused golf when i am alone.  when i am with people it seems like it gets a little less serious--which is fine--and more about the company than the game.

I am with you guys in that I am more focused when I'm alone.  I'm not distracted by conversation, I take my time reading the greens, etc.  I take golf more seriously than 90% of the people I play with so when I'm with others, I tend to take it a little less seriously as well.

Originally Posted by Gilberg

Yes, this is basically a great idea.  I used to play alone all the time.  But I never would now, especialy if it was like a bacelor party or my birthday.  The course I play at is pretty much dark or dusklike all the time, and it is very uncomortable because right behind the parking lot is a huge graveyard.  I don't believe in that stuff, but one night when I was playing with myself I swear to you that I saw some type of phantasm or disembodied spirit.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Dsc123, you took the words out of my mouth. I tend to play up or down to my partners. Unfortunately I dont get to play with better players that often, so I play alone when I can. I pay attention to everything and don't get caught up in conversation. Not that I mind those rounds, I actually really enjoy them, just sometimes like to ramp it up.

In the XTreme bag:
Driver: Steelhead
Fairway Woods: Steelhead 3 and 5 wood
Hybrids: 3 and 4
Irons: Victory Red Full Cavity (5-AW)Sand Wedge: Sand Wedge (old school)Putter: Pal 5Ball: Pro V1

Originally Posted by Stickbo

Dsc123, you took the words out of my mouth. I tend to play up or down to my partners. Unfortunately I dont get to play with better players that often, so I play alone when I can. I pay attention to everything and don't get caught up in conversation. Not that I mind those rounds, I actually really enjoy them, just sometimes like to ramp it up.

I almost always play with people a lot better than I am. I never really planned it out that way but it just always worked out that all of my golfing buddies were around scratch and I've never gotten there. I came close a few years ago when I was a club member and played every day (and many days all day long).

Playing with better players made me really develop a good short game to stay with them and occasionally beat them.

• 4 months later...

I play alone quite a bit because I like to play at times (mid afternoon) that most people avoid.  I usually play better when I play alone, and for some time, I attributed it to less pressure and less distractions.  After reading some research papers on the brain-muscles relationship in sports and music, I have added another possible reason why I play better alone--the time duration between swings.  My latest theory, based on research, is that I can execute the same swings more effectively if I swing more frequently because the swing is in short term memory.  This is like reciting a name or phone number frequently and putting it into short term memory.  Based on research in long term memory, I now realize that I need to find a way to put the swing into long term memory so that I can recall it when playing in a group of four, with longer durations between swings.  Anyway, that's my theory.

I play alone almost exclusively. I'm usually out after work and will tee off about 6:30 or 7 and finish about 8:30, leaving as the guy is ready to close up. I walk 9 holes with a pull cart about twice a week and will usually play 2 balls if I'm early enough or only one if I've decided to make it a 'round that counts'. The course I play is quite secluded,surrounded by woods.It's not uncommon for me to have deer standing just feet away while I'm walking or have to wait for them to clear the green. I sometimes blame them for my club selection too but I suppose ultimately I'm the one swinging it,lousy deer caddies. Being way out there means coyotes,howling just as I'm putting the clubs in the trunk usually. They sound like the hounds of hell,eerie. It's too hot during the day down here and playing near dusk affords me the solitude.

Superfast 12 LS Driver set at 10*w/ProLaunch red shaft

:callaway:RazrFitXtreme w/MatrixBlackTie 15*:adams:Idea ProBlack hybrid 16*:adams: Idea ProBlack Hybrid 20*  :callaway: RazrX Forged 4-PW  CG14  54* S Wedge

Idea A3 60*  L wedge

:rife: IBF Aussie Tour Blade putter

I play better by myself because I can truly focus. On slow days when I'm held up an not holding anyone up, I play two balls. Really has helped my game. I prefer to play with my golfing buddy, but I play best alone.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I too don't focus well playing alone.   Even when I make it a practice round (playing multiple balls, moving them around to practice certain shots), I seem to lose focus at some point.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I tend to mostly play on my own and over the past few years I have played well on my own but as I have started playing more competitions and I am finding I don't play well on my own. Now what I do is when I'm on my own I am in full practice mode or trying things I normally wouldn't do to see how I can get better at it. I will go out in competition and shoot a few over or a few under on average and then go out on my own like today and be around 6-8 over par. No matter how hard I try I can't seem to turn the competitive switch on when I'm on my own which is why I make them a full out practice round which has been working great.

I have been playing with one of my friends, but it's like I'm playing alone because he is CONSTANTLY texting his gf. It's so annoying! I'm trying to hang out with my friend and play some golf and he just tunes me out talking to her. It's like I'm just playing alone. Seriously, I can say something to him and he doesn't even hear it. I don't even know what they can be talking about for that long. What's especially annoying is that I ask him to watch my ball because I have poor depth perception, and if hitting into the sun. At least 90% of the time he doesn't because he is on his phone. I always watch his ball and often get out of the cart to watch it. On the tee box, I stay behind him to watch his drive. Yet as soon as he's done, most of the time he goes back to the cart to text knowing that I have trouble seeing the ball. Also, I have been taught it's poor etiquette to leave the tee box until all players have teed off.

Originally Posted by Wally

I have been playing with one of my friends, but it's like I'm playing alone because he is CONSTANTLY texting his gf. It's so annoying! I'm trying to hang out with my friend and play some golf and he just tunes me out talking to her. It's like I'm just playing alone. Seriously, I can say something to him and he doesn't even hear it.

I don't even know what they can be talking about for that long. What's especially annoying is that I ask him to watch my ball because I have poor depth perception, and if hitting into the sun. At least 90% of the time he doesn't because he is on his phone. I always watch his ball and often get out of the cart to watch it. On the tee box, I stay behind him to watch his drive. Yet as soon as he's done, most of the time he goes back to the cart to text knowing that I have trouble seeing the ball. Also, I have been taught it's poor etiquette to leave the tee box until all players have teed off.

I don't like cell phones on the golf course, and I have only had mine on once during a round when my dad was in the hospital (just in case).

Of course I fully realize I am like "The Last of the Mohicans". Even my own son texts and talks on the phone during the round more than I like, but part of it is business and I understand that. Today the guys on our team were laughing at him because every time he would text somebody he would make a birdie (and ended up with 8 of them). One of the guys told him to call her instead of texting and it might turn those birdies into eagles.

I know what you mean about helping watch the ball. I always do. My son always does. My wife says she can't see the ball when I hit it. All bets are off with the other guys in our games. Most of the time they don't watch at all. A few times a year I hit a tee shot and for some reason don't see it and don't have a clue where it went. All I can do is go down the fairway and hope for the best. I had to give up and take a lost ball about a month ago (when nobody saw it). Felt like I missed left so that's where we looked. After we finished the hole and were going to the next tee we found it just off of the right side of the fairway. Happened to be in perfect position to have had a 70 yard second shot and a good chance for birdie (if I had known where it was).

Originally Posted by MS256

I don't like cell phones on the golf course, and I have only had mine on once during a round when my dad was in the hospital (just in case).

Of course I fully realize I am like "The Last of the Mohicans".

Same here, fellow Mohican.  I don't usually bring cell phone when I play golf.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I like playing golf with others but as I have been working hard on getting better I find that playing alone has some advantages:

1 - I get to play golf. Period.

2 - I can work on my game in actual situations.  I can hit balls at the range all day but there is a huge difference mentally when you are in a tight spot on the course and have to play a shot that counts.  Playing by myself is a chance to be in those situations.

3 - I always count my strokes, no cutting corners.  Even if I miss a tap in I count it because that extra stroke will remind me that I need to do it right.  You can't get better unless you truly score yourself the right way.  I know a guy who always shoots a 40 by himself but can't score better than a 50-55 in a group.  When you don't count OB, water, and give yourself a mulligan every time you hit a bad shot your score will not tell you where you are in your game and you can never improve.

4 - If I am behind a slow group and waiting it helps me practice playing out of rhythm.  Playing as single on an empty course it is easy to roll along and play smoothly.  However, we all know when the course is backed up on a busy weekend it is easy to get out of sync.  Putting myself in these situations puts me in a real game / course environment.

5 - If I hit a great shot playing alone I always react like I would when playing with others.  On my course I am the single who fist pumps when he hits a great shot or nails a long putt.  It helps keep me pumped up.

6 - When I play by myself it usually is on a weekday after work.  I force myself to walk so I am keeping myself physically is shape.

7 - Once again, I get to play golf, period.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

I never even putt out when playing alone, unless its for par or birdie, usually drop a second ball after the tee shot and practice my approaches, and if I get slowed up ill drop a couple more and practice my wedges! Can't be bothered scoring when on my own, so I just experiment, it's better than going the range IMO !

Gaz Lee

I am currently in the process of joining a club for the first time. I am going to end up playing a lot on my own as I don't know any golfers in the area I live, Mainly play with people from work at the minute or family that live 50 miles away.

I have a question for the solo golfers out there, I often struggle to see my ball in the sun and was wondering how the solo players go about this when you dont quiet see where your ball goes of the drive?? this is the only thing thats putting me off joining a club at the min.

Originally Posted by Royster1984

I am currently in the process of joining a club for the first time. I am going to end up playing a lot on my own as I don't know any golfers in the area I live, Mainly play with people from work at the minute or family that live 50 miles away.

I have a question for the solo golfers out there, I often struggle to see my ball in the sun and was wondering how the solo players go about this when you dont quiet see where your ball goes of the drive?? this is the only thing thats putting me off joining a club at the min.

I see where my shots go almost all of the time but on those times that I don't I can usually make a pretty good guess by how it felt coming off of the club face which direction it went.

That said, sometimes I guess wrong and if it's not in the fairway (or in short enough rough to be visible) I'm out of luck. If I'm alone and playing a hole that's into the setting or rising sun and it's obvious that it's going to be a big problem I hit a fairway wood or iron unless I'm having a better than average day of hitting a driver straight.

BTW. It shouldn't take long to find some playing partners at a new club. Some clubs may be more standoffish than others but at the one I belonged to there were a couple of guys that asked me if I wanted to play in their group the first day. Ended up playing daily rounds with both of them, and a few more people. When any of us got to the course we would find the others on the course if they were there and join up. (But it was never a busy course).

Here's one reason why one shouldn't play alone.  Not every solo player is like this but I've seen too many do this, including one that was playing behind my group today.

This guy behind me started to hit his ball past us.     We would let him pass but this was Sunday and every hole was filled with players.  While everyone is resigned to a 5 hour round due to the course being full, this guy seems to be pressuring us to let him pass.   When he hit one pass our green while we were preparing to putt, I turned around and give him a peace of mind.   He stopped hitting past us after that.  A few holes later on start of back 9, he was joined by a trio behind him.  Now, everyone including him was all moving at 5 hour pace.   I think he should know, letting a solo player play through on a busy day delays everyone's playing time.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Here's one reason why one shouldn't play alone.  Not every solo player is like this but I've seen too many do this, including one that was playing behind my group today.

This guy behind me started to hit his ball past us.     We would let him pass but this was Sunday and every hole was filled with players.  While everyone is resigned to a 5 hour round due to the course being full, this guy seems to be pressuring us to let him pass.   When he hit one passed our green while we were preparing to putt, I turned around and give him a peace of mind.   He stopped hitting past us after that.  A few holes later on start of back 9, he was joined by a trio behind him.   Now, everyone including him was all moving at 5 hour pace.   I think he should know, letting a solo player play through on a busy day delays everyone's playing time.

That isn't a reason not to play alone.  That is just called being a jerk and those come in singles and foursomes as well.

I often play alone but do try to avoid it on super busy days.  However, I am always willing to pair up with anyone.. but others don't feel the same way.  Unless the starter forces a grouping often people don't want a stranger with them, and at that point there is nothing you can do.

For example, we had a twosome fire into my threesome today when it was obvious we were within range.  His drive landed 3ft from my feet.  There was no need for this as there was no reason to let them play through.  We stayed on the heels of the group in front of us all day and every group in front of us was a foursome.

Some people just have no class.

Jeff

Here's one reason why one shouldn't play alone.  Not every solo player is like this but I've seen too many do this, including one that was playing behind my group today. This guy behind me started to hit his ball past us.     We would let him pass but this was Sunday and every hole was filled with players.  While everyone is resigned to a 5 hour round due to the course being full, this guy seems to be pressuring us to let him pass.   When he hit one pass our green while we were preparing to putt, I turned around and give him a peace of mind.   He stopped hitting past us after that.  A few holes later on start of back 9, he was joined by a trio behind him.  Now, everyone including him was all moving at 5 hour pace.   I think he should know, letting a solo player play through on a busy day delays everyone's playing time.

I came across this exact situation today, except I was the single. The threesome in front of me offered to let me pass, but I had already seen that they were backed up behind 3-4 other groups so I declined. I didn't want to be the one guy that made a slight logjam into a really bad one. I told them not to rush beyond a normal pace of play on my account. On the back nine it cleared up and I was able to pass them and finish at my leisure. I never expect to have a fast round when I go on the weekends.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!