IGNORED

Was the Culturally Varying "Spazzing" Thread

dak4n6
Note: This thread is 4055 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

In Golf is not a Game of Perfect, Rotella tells a story about playing a round with Tom Kite and some D1 golfers. After the round they discussed the difference between the college players and Kite. It was noted that the college guys could hit the same shots, but couldn't put the score together. Rotella went on to say that the difference was that on average the college guys lose focus 4-5 times a round. These 4-5 instances of complacency made the difference.

I kind of see the same thing when I play. When I lose concentration, I tend to make a poor swing, bad decision, or just get myself out of position. This can also happen when I start thinking about score. Saturday I hit a career drive on a long par 4. From inside 100, I got so excited about stuffing a wedge close I chunked it and ended up with bogey. The next hole I had the same shot. This time I concentrated on solid contact and I was 12 feet and made the putt for birdie. The difference was staying in the now and hitting the shot. The point is, to play good golf, you cannot afford to lose any focus of what you are doing. That could have been the difference between you posting 84 that day or a 76.

I totally buy this.  It's amazing how hard it is to concentrate equally for EVERY shot.  It's actually kind of embarrassing, because really, should it be that hard?  I did the exact same thing Sunday too.  Followed my very best drive, with my very worst drive of the day on the next hole, and in retrospect, I just wasn't quite focused enough.  Not a coincidence, I believe, that it was the ninth hole where I hit my best one ... then added up the score for the front nine after that hole, realized I was playing very well, naturally had a "well if I can just continue this pace for nine more holes" type of thought, and promptly lost a tad of concentration and "Ernest's sistered" the next OB.

Originally Posted by stoverny

This happens to me also... the difference between my solid shots and the occasional bad one, is embarrassingly large.

Me too, but from what I gather its only a big difference in the result.  A video playback of a swing that produces a really good shot vs. a swing that produces a really horrid shot shows hardly any differences to the untrained (mine) naked eye.  Not speaking for anybody else here, but my mediocre swing involves a lot of compensations for a lot of moves I shouldn't be doing.  When the compensations all line up, the result can look very good.  However, when the timing is off, watch out.  And those compensations, over the long haul, are hard to keep in order.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Jeez, can you guys ease up the "skank" references???? My sister reads this stuff!!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Jeez, can you guys ease up the "skank" references???? My sister reads this stuff!!

Sorry about that ... I went back and fixed it.

Originally Posted by David in FL

Really?  Huh......

Off topic, but forgive me.  It saddens me how easily people are offended these days.....especially when clearly, no offense was intended.

Just for info, the term derives from the classic muscular spasticity that many cerebral palsy sufferers experience.

Quite possibly someone who either is, or has a child (which would include me), with cerebral palsy would find this massively offensive. I hope you're never in such a situation. This is a global forum and, as such, wouldn't you think it politic to take account of the sensitivities of a global audience?

If no offence was intended then that's one thing and the cultural context is another and these things can be worked out. For the record, I'm telling you it's offensive.

Sadly some people are actively looking to be offended. Some sort of self-fulfilling prophesies at work here.

Arsehole. I really, really hope you're not ever in a such a situation. Actually, belay that. I think it would be good if you were in exactly such a situation; you might have a different perspective on things.

It's fine to make a statement that means different things in different cultures but I would have thought it sensible, having been informed something is offensive, to at least acknowledge it rather than make comments such as your latest pearl of wisdom.

In answer to the OP (so as to be at least a bit on-topic), I have no idea you could stop those occasional lapses. Maybe you're losing focus/getting distracted/becoming complacent after the previous nine ball strikes?

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop

Arsehole. I really, really hope you're not ever in a such a situation. Actually, belay that. I think it would be good if you were in exactly such a situation; you might have a different perspective on things.

It's fine to make a statement that means different things in different cultures but I would have thought it sensible, having been informed something is offensive, to at least acknowledge it rather than make comments such as your latest pearl of wisdom.

Arsehole? Really?

Sorry someone has offended you with a word that had zero malicious intent. I like people and would not wish suffering on anyone, it breaks my heart to see some of the tragedies that exist in our world. I've lost friends and family to cancer, my niece was born with some birth defects which were originally diagnosed as cerebral palsy and I wish no one had to endure hardships of this nature.

However, you taking umbrage to the use of the word s**zz when the context it was used in implied no offense is a bit over the top. As was mentioned before, in North America the term fag is a slur against homosexuals but if any of my gay friends expressed outrage at a person of British descent referring to a cigarette as a fag I would tell them that they are being ridiculous.

I'm just going to apologize and move on.

So, sorry.

OK?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I would like this thread to be cleaned up or restarted because the OT has tremendous merit but it has been diluted over a valid debate that unfortunately has no relevance to the OT.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I would like this thread to be cleaned up or restarted because the OT has tremendous merit but it has been diluted over a valid debate that unfortunately has no relevance to the OT.

I agree.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

If no offence was intended then that's one thing and the cultural context is another and these things can be worked out. For the record, I'm telling you it's offensive.

If you'll provide a comprehensive list of words/terms that you find offensive, that culturally I wouldn't recognize as offensive, I'll try not to use them.

I hate to offend.  Though honestly, these days it's awfully hard to avoid.  So many are intent on finding offense where none was meant.

The others are right.  Time to get back to the valid OP.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator

Quite possibly someone who either is, or has a child (which would include me), with cerebral palsy would find this massively offensive. I hope you're never in such a situation. This is a global forum and, as such, wouldn't you think it politic to take account of the sensitivities of a global audience?

It's unrealistic to expect that everyone understands words to have the same meaning, and intent matters .

Given that the OP lives in the United States where the term has never gained even a small percentage of understanding as referring to those with cerebral palsy, he cannot be blamed using the term in a way that's poor just as a British person cannot be blamed for their use of the word "fag" to refer to a cigarette (as was already pointed out above).

Being offended is your right, but when it lacks willful intent or even the basic understanding, I think it's silly to be offended. The world has a LOT of weird customs - in some countries you don't hand people money, you set it on the counter and let them pick it up. While it's important when traveling to understand some of those things, the forum is not a "travel" destination. Waving "hi" to someone is considered polite in most places, but can be offensive elsewhere. Same with giving someone thumbs up.

I think people can choose to be offended or not, and personally, I choose not to be offended more often than not, because really, what's to be gained by choosing to be offended?

misty, you really didn't help your case by intentionally calling someone an "arsehole" which I'm certain you KNOW to be offensive in both your culture and the culture of probably everyone else.

This topic is now well off topic and I'm moving it to the Grill Room. OP, please start a new thread. I'm sure that given your new understanding of the word's meaning outside of your own experiences and country, you'll choose a different title.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Anyway, we're all now well OT, so let's get back to it now. dak, do you want to re-state the essence of your OP?

I guess I was just wondering about (and whining about) how my bad shots seem to be in a different league from the rest of my shots, and how they are the main barrier for me getting down to low single digits, and wondering why they occur and how to mitigate them.

I think I also see that getting rid of the handfull of skanks (yes there it is again!) per round is how you get from low double digits to low single digits, and then getting rid of bogeys and increasing birdies is how you go the rest of the way..

dak4n6

In this world these day you can just look at some one wrong and they get offended, my self unless it is directed or meant as an offensive gesture or word i will take offense to it, but to mention and someone takes it to its own, chill out. There are many road blocks that we have to contend with during our time on this precious world we live in. So many nationalities, types of people (you can fill this out). get a grip on life, I see the same on here and many other forums about different people complaining about silly ass things, (brutalizing the English language, pronunciations, shift key usage) I don't get any monetary donations to post so you get what you read.....BTW listen to some of these young adults converse, some of you will have a heart attack.

Nothing to offer on the semantics. But here is my sad story from today on the practical side.

Wednesday members' competition, alliance format, partners are all 18+ handicaps but good mates. Round the front in 36 with no hassles, one birdie and one bogey. Decent putts for birdie on 10 and 11, no luck. On 12 (short par 5) I hit drive OB left, reload and three good shots later have 7 feet for bogey with the second ball. Horseshoes out and that was the round. Felt it go in my head like a switch was flicked. Bled to death from there for a 78. I disgust me.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Arsehole? Really?

Sorry someone has offended you with a word that had zero malicious intent. I like people and would not wish suffering on anyone, it breaks my heart to see some of the tragedies that exist in our world. I've lost friends and family to cancer, my niece was born with some birth defects which were originally diagnosed as cerebral palsy and I wish no one had to endure hardships of this nature.

However, you taking umbrage to the use of the word s**zz when the context it was used in implied no offense is a bit over the top. As was mentioned before, in North America the term fag is a slur against homosexuals but if any of my gay friends expressed outrage at a person of British descent referring to a cigarette as a fag I would tell them that they are being ridiculous.

I'm just going to apologize and move on.

So, sorry.

OK?

OK, and apologies for the 'arsehole' reference - hit 'submit' when I should really have counted to ten. I took particular umbrage at the fact you thought I was being "professionally offended".

Quote:

It's unrealistic to expect that everyone understands words to have the same meaning, and intent matters.

Given that the OP lives in the United States where the term has never gained even a small percentage of understanding as referring to those with cerebral palsy, he cannot be blamed using the term in a way that's poor just as a British person cannot be blamed for their use of the word "fag" to refer to a cigarette (as was already pointed out above).

Being offended is your right, but when it lacks willful intent or even the basic understanding, I think it's silly to be offended. The world has a LOT of weird customs - in some countries you don't hand people money, you set it on the counter and let them pick it up. While it's important when traveling to understand some of those things, the forum is not a "travel" destination. Waving "hi" to someone is considered polite in most places, but can be offensive elsewhere. Same with giving someone thumbs up.

I think people can choose to be offended or not, and personally, I choose not to be offended more often than not, because really, what's to be gained by choosing to be offended?

misty, you really didn't help your case by intentionally calling someone an "arsehole" which I'm certain you KNOW to be offensive in both your culture and the culture of probably everyone else.

This topic is now well off topic and I'm moving it to the Grill Room. OP, please start a new thread. I'm sure that given your new understanding of the word's meaning outside of your own experiences and country, you'll choose a different title.

You're right. I shouldn't have used the term I did and I certainly knew it to be offensive. I have a personal investment in trying to inform people about this particular terminology and I let that cloud my reaction.

A rhetorical question for Americans who use spazz/spazzy/etc as part of their language. What do you all think the etymology of those terms are? Have you ever wondered where they come from? You use them as terminology to describe loss of motor control in a given situation and you never wondered where they came from?

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

• Administrator

A rhetorical question for Americans who use spazz/spazzy/etc as part of their language. What do you all think the etymology of those terms are? Have you ever wondered where they come from? You use them as terminology to describe loss of motor control in a given situation and you never wondered where they came from?

That's not particularly relevant. It means what it means to people in the United States, just as "fag" means what it means to people in the UK. It's unrealistic to ask people to look up etymologies for words when the manner in which they're used by 300 million people or so in their own country is understood a certain way.

It'd be another thing entirely if, now that he knows what it comes from, he continued to use it, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

That's not particularly relevant. It means what it means to people in the United States, just as "fag" means what it means to people in the UK. It's unrealistic to ask people to look up etymologies for words when the manner in which they're used by 300 million people or so in their own country is understood a certain way.

It'd be another thing entirely if, now that he knows what it comes from, he continued to use it, but I don't think that's going to happen.

You're right I guess. As I said above, it's pretty personal for me and I should have taken that into account. Still, if a few more people think about the terminology in the future, so much the better. Moving on...

OK, and apologies for the 'arsehole' reference - hit 'submit' when I should really have counted to ten. I took particular umbrage at the fact you thought I was being "professionally offended".

Apology accepted with no reservations. For what it's worth, my mother passed away last year from Cancer and for the longest time I would get very angry when people made flippant use of the word "cancer" in sporting contexts such as, "Alex Kovalev is a cancer in the dressing room" or "so and so is a cancer on the team". I eventually got over it because I realize now that none of these people were belittling the tragedy that cancer is, it is simply a word that has been adopted and mutated to mean something other than the literal sense. I eventually realized that the issue was mine and mine alone and it was silly to try to turn these situations into something that they weren't.

I really hope that you understand what I am trying to say here because I do grok (awesome word, look it up if you are unfamiliar) what you felt in this situation and I want you to understand that no one was belittling the tragedy that CP is. We're just a bunch of goofy golf addicts and no one is out to hurt anyone else in our little community, except the TROLLS, they can 'eff off and die

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator

You're right I guess. As I said above, it's pretty personal for me and I should have taken that into account. Still, if a few more people think about the terminology in the future, so much the better. Moving on...

I think people will now. I personally learned the meaning of the word for people in the UK when Tiger Woods said it.

For the future, and I'm assuming you've figured it out by now, reacting more calmly will probably do more to educate people to the etymology and insensitivity of the word than your mildly "stronger" reaction.

Note: This thread is 4055 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!