IGNORED

Golf Handicap System Explained for Newbie

Bunkerman125
Note: This thread is 4049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by newtogolf

+1 on the explanation.  The use of the 10 best scores is what I believe makes the handicap method of golf superior to bowling in that it makes sandbagging much more difficult.  I know from my bowling days, guys that could roll a 240 any time they wanted would only bowl good enough to win their head to head points.  In golf, you would have to tank over half of your rounds to have any of the lower scores apply towards your handicap.

Yes and no.  You're dead on about the bowling example - my father-in-law bowled forever in some more serious $$$ leagues than he plays in now and he said that is exactly what they used to do.  (He used to be in your neck of the woods ... pretty sure he bowled in Wantagh, or thereabouts)

But, at least, with bowling you have to do it in league in front of your opponents and be a little bit surreptitious about it, or risk being labelled sandbaggers.  In golf, it relies on your honesty when nobody is watching.  Seems like it would be just as easy for unscrupulous people to sandbag in golf as in bowling.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Actually the handicap system measures a player's potential scoring ability relative to scratch, not his average score. "Average" only enters into it when you average the 10 best differentials (calculated using score + course rating and slope) of the last 20. Since you're throwing out the worst 10, and then subtracting another 4% off the average of the best, your handicap us clearly going to be lower than your average scoring ability.

Other than that clarification, I think you've described it well.

as i mentioned earlier, you also subtract the extra strokes on the worst holes, which is a huge advantage if you're a player like me who always has a blow-up hole.

Originally Posted by tuffluck

as i mentioned earlier, you also subtract the extra strokes on the worst holes, which is a huge advantage if you're a player like me who always has a blow-up hole.

You wording here is a little perplexing, tuff.  Just to clarify, the strokes you subtract on your biggest holes (in your case, anything over an 8 most of the time, 7 on some easy courses) is ONLY when you post for your handicap.  So if you shot 105 one day with a 10, a 12, and a 9 on 3 holes, for the sake of that competition, you still shot a 105.  When you go to post it, you will post a 98 for your handicap.  It will actually keep your handicap lower in the long run if your a guy who likes to have a blow up hole, so that really means that its a huge DISadvantage for you.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

You wording here is a little perplexing, tuff.  Just to clarify, the strokes you subtract on your biggest holes (in your case, anything over an 8 most of the time, 7 on some easy courses) is ONLY when you post for your handicap.  So if you shot 105 one day with a 10, a 12, and a 9 on 3 holes, for the sake of that competition, you still shot a 105.  When you go to post it, you will post a 98 for your handicap.  It will actually keep your handicap lower in the long run if your a guy who likes to have a blow up hole, so that really means that its a huge DISadvantage for you.

right, it would help your handicap number (read: lower) but hurt your chances in a competition.  i was just talking about the handicap calculation only measuring just your best potential.

Yes and no.  You're dead on about the bowling example - my father-in-law bowled forever in some more serious $$$ leagues than he plays in now and he said that is exactly what they used to do.  (He used to be in your neck of the woods ... pretty sure he bowled in Wantagh, or thereabouts)

But, at least, with bowling you have to do it in league in front of your opponents and be a little bit surreptitious about it, or risk being labelled sandbaggers.  In golf, it relies on your honesty when nobody is watching.  Seems like it would be just as easy for unscrupulous people to sandbag in golf as in bowling.

Wantagh is close by, maybe sandbagging was more predominant in NY, you know how those NY'ers are.

Another difference between bowling and golf is that your golf handicap is universal.  It is managed by the USGA and applied regardless of the course or tournament you enter.  Your handicap in bowling is usually calculated specifically for each league your bowling in.  I know guys that would bowl in multiple leagues and their average (thus handicap) varied by up to 20 pins from league to league.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Quote:

Wantagh is close by, maybe sandbagging was more predominant in NY, you know how those NY'ers are.

Another difference between bowling and golf is that your golf handicap is universal.  It is managed by the USGA and applied regardless of the course or tournament you enter.  Your handicap in bowling is usually calculated specifically for each league your bowling in.  I know guys that would bowl in multiple leagues and their average (thus handicap) varied by up to 20 pins from league to league.

Unfortunately, that's sometimes the case for golf leagues as well. The one I participate in here at work has their own modified handicap system. They apparently think they can do better.

Bill

I am a 12 handicap. In my opinion, if you have a low handicap buddy, the best option for any serious competition or wagering, find 2 guys like yourselves and duke it out. As far as tournaments, screw handicaps, if you dont shoot the lowest round''s'', you're not the winner, and if you can convince yourself otherwise and feel good about it, then you do not have a concious. I have not played in my club championship in the 2 yrs ive been playing, and wont until i feel like I can give a go without turning a handicap. I started to play last year just for the experience, but had other obligations.Im going to try to play in this years, but I refuse to turn in a handicap as far as that goes. I mean you get a parking spot with your name on it as ''club champion''. But he had 12 strokes, who wants that? Not me, pal.

Originally Posted by liveeel

I am a 12 handicap. In my opinion, if you have a low handicap buddy, the best option for any serious competition or wagering, find 2 guys like yourselves and duke it out. As far as tournaments, screw handicaps, if you dont shoot the lowest round''s'', you're not the winner, and if you can convince yourself otherwise and feel good about it, then you do not have a concious. I have not played in my club championship in the 2 yrs ive been playing, and wont until i feel like I can give a go without turning a handicap. I started to play last year just for the experience, but had other obligations.Im going to try to play in this years, but I refuse to turn in a handicap as far as that goes. I mean you get a parking spot with your name on it as ''club champion''. But he had 12 strokes, who wants that? Not me, pal.

Around here the Championship Flight of the Club Championship is not handicapped. You can't be the "Club Champion" unless you actually play the best golf, straight up.

Some clubs (like one where I was a member) have the tournament over 2 days and after the first day it was flighted according to the scores the first day. The Club Champion was the winner of the Championship Flight.

Note: This thread is 4049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!