IGNORED

Advice needed on choosing a new ball that my wedges won't shred (see photo)

Note: This thread is 4049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I heard that the Srixon Q-Star might be my best choice to prevent ball shredding because of it's soft, ionomer (or is it urethane) cover material.  Plus, I am a high handicapper with a medium swing speed (low 90s).  Sounds like a good fit, I guess.

The local sporting goods store pro said I need a softer ball, but I am having trouble grasping that concept.  I would think a ball with a harder cover would not shred because the harder material will hold up better and not fall apart as easily.  Or is it because the softer material bounces off the club better.  I don't know.  Anyway, please see the attached photo and feel free to provide some feedback on which ball I may need to use.  Maybe I already answered my own question and I should just try the Q-Stars.  Thanks everyone.

Currently in my Cart Bag:

Driver:     RAZR Fit Driver, 8.5-degree, Stiff Flex Graphite Shaft

Wood:      RAZR Fit Fairway 5 Wood, 18-Degree, Stiff Flex Graphite Shaft

Hybrids:  Bazooka JMAX Tour Hybrid Iron-Woods, 3 (21-Degree) and 4 (24-Degrees) [Precision Ultra Lite Steel Shaft]

Irons:      Bazooka JMAX QL Irons, 5-PW, +1/2-inch [Precision Ultra Lite Steel Shaft]

Wedge:   Bazooka JMAX 304 Stainless M812 56-Degree Sand Wedge [Precision Ultra Lite Steel Shaft]

Putter:     Tour Tech Putter, 35-inch (Right Handed)

Champion Member since August 2012

Looks like your current ball is made out of toothpaste.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

What ball are you using now that is leaving that much of it on the club face?

It was a Top Flite XL 2000, which I think they just recently discontinued.

On a side note, I heard that Top Flite was bought out by Dick's Sporting Goods but don't quote me on that.

Hybrids:  Bazooka JMAX Tour Hybrid Iron-Woods, 3 (21-Degree) and 4 (24-Degrees) [Precision Ultra Lite Steel Shaft]

Irons:      Bazooka JMAX QL Irons, 5-PW, +1/2-inch [Precision Ultra Lite Steel Shaft]

Wedge:   Bazooka JMAX 304 Stainless M812 56-Degree Sand Wedge [Precision Ultra Lite Steel Shaft]

Never tried them myself but I have several friends who play the Srixon line and love them. These are both low and high handicap players. I'd say pick up a sleeve and give them a try. Myself for a less expensive to mid range ball I love the Bridgestone line.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

Never tried them myself but I have several friends who play the Srixon line and love them. These are both low and high handicap players. I'd say pick up a sleeve and give them a try. Myself for a less expensive to mid range ball I love the Bridgestone line.

I heard good things about Bridgestone too. Thanks.

We can all give you our favorites.  But you would be best served by just getting a sleeve and trying for yourself.  I play the ProV1 and never have seen shredding like that.  The only time I have seen marks like that are with range balls.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by boogielicious

We can all give you our favorites.  But you would be best served by just getting a sleeve and trying for yourself.  I play the ProV1 and never have seen shredding like that.  The only time I have seen marks like that are with range balls.

Maybe I will just buy a sleeve of the ProV1s and see how they fair also.

Originally Posted by JediFish

Either way, that's a nice strike right there! Dead center with some spin!

Thanks, yeah it happens once in a while, not as often as I would like though!

I really like the Tour Edge irons.  I have the Tour Edge Bazooka JMAX QL (Quick Launch) and they really get the ball up with some nice spin and are forgiving.

Not sure of level of ball you're going for, I found that Titleist NXT Extreme and NXT Tour were pretty good with durability.  The Extreme has less spin but it's tough.  Trees, cart paths, etc and it's still good to play with only little scratches. No problem finishing a round with one of these balls if you manage not to lose it. The Tour version is a little softer so it isn't as tough, but it still holds together pretty nicely and has a decent amount of spin.

Also, Top Flite Gamers do very well.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

With regards to the Srixon Q-Star golf balls, I found some nice package deals online that include 2 doz balls, a Srixon Hat and a towel for $37.95:

http://www.golfballs.com/Golf-Balls/Srixon-Q-Star-Bundle-Pack.htm#

http://www.golfballs.com/Golf-Balls/Srixon-Fan-Pack_2.htm

Or a package deal for the Z-Stars for $49.95:

http://www.golfballs.com/Golf-Balls/Srixon-Z-Star-Fan-Pack.htm?t=mailer_09470A21

Choose from white or yellow balls with any bundle.  For a pricing comparison, I just bought a box of the Q-Stars from Dick’s Sporting Goods “on sale” for $19.99.  They are must less here, plus you get the free hat and towel.  I ordered one of each package.

Note: This thread is 4049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!