IGNORED

Getting my weight forward.......WHY

Note:Β This thread is 4046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

What's the point of weight forward. I mean what does it bring to the golf swing. It's obviously not imperative to striking the ball well. I mean if your balanced and can swing the stick well why is it advantageous to move our weight from say 50/50 to 90/10.

I know if I swing the club in a traditional swing my body wants to move over my front foot....a little but not the 90/10 stuff that I see here alot. And it's not like it doesn't have it's downsides. I know from my swing that timing can be an issue, and control of the swing lowpoint moves forward as well. I just had a look at James H and Dave Wedlick doing a demo of the S/T weight forward and noticed that Dave said that as the weight is shifting forward the belt buckle is moving up. Isn't the weight forward movement something that could be removed from the amateurs swing to make it simpler.

PS this isn't a 5SK thing it is intended as a general golf swing thing.

PPS can we not do a "we should do it because pros do it thing"? I want to know what the strong move forward brings to the table in terms of a weekend golfer.

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Honestly I wouldn't even worry about it. Β It's probably just something said on a whim without much thought behind it. Β It's not like, scientific or anything. Β That the pros do it is very likely simply a grand coincidence. Β They also buy those hard-shell bags to pack their clubs in when they travel. Β Am I supposed to do that now too? Β Screw that.

• Upvote 2

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Interesting that you didn't put a question mark at the end of your first sentence. More of a statement than a question?

It feels pretty natural to me. If I didn't move weight forward then I would think it would be pretty difficult to generate power without taking an almighty swipe at the ball. I'd also think it would be hard to swing from the inside, if my body didn't get out of the way then there just wouldn't be room to swing through freely with my arms.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Honestly I wouldn't even worry about it. Β It's probably just something said on a whim without much thought behind it. Β It's not like, scientific or anything. Β That the pros do it is very likely simply a grand coincidence. Β They also buy those hard-shell bags to pack their clubs in when they travel. Β Am I supposed to do that now too? Β Screw that.

I agree. Β I mean, how am I suppose to even hit the ball in the air unless I stay behind it and scoop it up? Β Weight forward doesn't make sense at all.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To me there are a number of reasons to get the weight forward. You mentioned the most important reason in my opinion because of the desire to move the low point ahead of the ball. If the weight is back the low point will be behind the ball and you will be a victim of chance to determine if you will hit a good shot. With enough practice you can do it, but it will not be consistent.

There are other reason, one is the path. Take my swing as an example. I don't get my weight forward enough and I tip back and it causes me to pull the ball. For most regular golfers if they don't get the weight forward the path will be too far INward and cause slices.

So two things that I can think of in 2 minutes of thought on this. 1, low point, 2, path issues. I will think some more about it and probably come up with few more.

Michael

What's the point of weight forward. I mean what does it bring to the golf swing. It's obviously not imperative to striking the ball well. I mean if your balanced and can swing the stick well why is it advantageous to move our weight from say 50/50 to 90/10.

I won't speak to actual percentages, but that bolded part is where you're wrong. There's a reason 12-handicappers aren't scratch golfers (or even 5-handicappers), and it's generally because they can't strike the ball well. So when people say the pros have their weight forward at impact, it's not just the pros, it's people who strike the ball well in general. Striking the ball well requires deforming the golf ball, which requires spin loft. Speaking about irons, the best way to do that is to hit down on the ball and move the low point in front of the ball (closer to target). Having your weight forward makes that infinitely more easy. That's fairly simple geometry. Plus that path stuff mchepp said. D-plane = tiny bit more geometry. :-)

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I don't have the citation to hand (think it was from Bobby Clampett's book?) but remember hearing it stated that the best statistical correlation of any swing element to handicap is the distance that the low point occurs ahead of the ball. High handicappers generally had a low point behind the ball, mid handicappers right around the ball, low handicappers an inch or so in front and pros around 4 inches forward. Moving the weight forward is the only way to consistently move the low point forward, so ... that's why.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

First off:

And here's my answer

So you don't do this

• Upvote 5

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

I agree. Β I mean, how am I suppose to even hit the ball in the air unless I stay behind it and scoop it up? Β Weight forward doesn't make sense at all.

+1. It also helps tremendously if you flip your front wrist coming into impact, that allows you to get a good scoop at the ball.

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

+1. It also helps tremendously if you flip your front wrist coming into impact, that allows you to get a good scoop at the ball.

The previous post was intended for entertainment purposes only. Do not attempt at home. :-)

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by logman

I know if I swing the club in a traditional swing my body wants to move over my front foot....a little but not the 90/10 stuff that I see here alot. And it's not like it doesn't have it's downsides. I know from my swing that timing can be an issue, and control of the swing lowpoint moves forward as well. I just had a look at James H and Dave Wedlick doing a demo of the S/T weight forward and noticed that Dave said that as the weight is shifting forward the belt buckle is moving up. Isn't the weight forward movement something that could be removed from the amateurs swing to make it simpler.

PS this isn't a 5SK thing it is intended as a general golf swing thing.

PPS can we not do a "we should do it because pros do it thing"? I want to know what the strong move forward brings to the table in terms of a weekend golfer.

The pros do it for a very simple reason.Β  It works.

Lots of things could be "removed" from the golf swing to make is simpler.Β  Removing them will also make them less effective.Β  It wouldn't take much to teach someone to hit a nice easy, 60 yard pitch right down the middle every time.Β  One club + a putter and you're good.Β  You're not going to get very good......and you're surely not going to get much enjoyment out of the game at which you can't be competitiveΒ nor will everyΒ improve.

No one expects any of us schlub amateurs to develop a perfect golf swing.Β  That doesn't mean that we shouldn't have an understanding of the basics of a good, repeatable swing, under whatever swing style we choose to incorporate into our game.

But then, you actually do know that......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Logman,

The easiest way foir you to answer your question yourself is very simple :

1)Just take a baseball ( or a golfball , or any ball ) and stand with your feet planted and not moving

2) Now keep your weight evenly distributed 50/50.

3)Throw the ball as far to the left as you can...........keeping the weight evenly distributed !

4)Now throw another ball with the feet anchored , but allowing youself to rotate, and move

your center of mass forward as you will undoubtedly instinctively WANT to do in throwing.

I'm betting you throw the second ball way further than the first !

JMHO,

Miguel

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by mvmac

Seriously, is this ball related to Donald Trump?

• Upvote 3

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*Β  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100Β 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S |Β Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro PlusΒ Β 

Originally Posted by mvmac

First off:

And here's my answer

So you don't do this

Ha ha, Β but seriously, you move your weight from 50/50 to 90/10 to avoid grounding your club 4 inches behind the ball???

If I set up in a neutral 50/50 weight balance with the ball at mid position, swingback slowly to the top and swing through without transfering another 40% of my weight to my front foot......then I'm going to fat it....no not just fat it but go underground???

why wouldn't I just move the ball back in my stance and set up the same ball/body/low point relationship without having to worry about the complications of my weight moving all over the place???

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Yeah , but what I'm trying to say is that there seems to be a very big emphasis on the weight going from 50/50ish to 90/10 ish. And at the same time a forward press of the club handle.

So at impact and just before, at that critical split second we're trying to load the lower body to the right amount so we can keep the forward lean on the club.

Don't get me wrong weight forward is good(I think?) but is it a desirable thing to do if you're using it to provide yourself with the impact position that you're seeking in the first place. I mean if you set up neutral and dont get to that 90/10 weight forward position then your shot could be knackered. Weight forward becomes an "issue" in the swing instead of a natural reaction to the movements of the arms, and upper body.

Weight forward becomes a prerequisite and not a reaction.

Just on a personal observation, my best swings are made when I have no thought of weight forward...but I'm sure my weight is moving forward. My worst swings are if I consiously "press" forward on impact or worse fall back at impact.

Gdaddy ..... you need to get some coaching

Originally Posted by logman

why wouldn't I just move the ball back in my stance and set up the same ball/body/low point relationship without having to worry about the complications of my weight moving all over the place???

Sure, if you want to hit a seven iron 100 yards, go ahead. Β Also, what is "moving all over the place" about a centered pivot and a slight forward slide into impact?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

Note:Β This thread is 4046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!