IGNORED

British Open Live Blog

iacas
Note: This thread is 6116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I'll be live blogging the final round of the British Open again this year (or the Open Championship, depending on where you live). Join me and post comments if you are awake at the time.

Here's last year's: http://thesandtrap.com/pga/live_blog...6_british_open

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Me and a buddy are scheduled to play at Carnoustie on July 30th, just a week and a few days after the pros have had their way with the course. He landed a golf trip to Scotland and invited me along.

I'll be keeping my eyes open to see just how difficult the greenskeepers have made the course. How rough is the rough -- will it be a foot tall or fairly well manicured? How tough are the greens -- will they manufacture an Oakmont-like putting surface so even the pros will struggle to make par? Will the fairways be soggy or sun-baked? I'll tune in to your blog for sure as well.

With my measly 24-ish handicap, if the rough is tall and the greens are super-difficult, I'm definitely not expecting to break 110!!

We shall see.
What's in My Bag?

Driver: 10.5° KZG SP-700 with Fujikura SIX Regular Flex Shaft | 2h: Adams A7OS Stiff | 3h: Adams A3OS Stiff | 4h: Nike Slingshot Steel | 5i-PW: Adams A2OS | Sand Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56° 3-dot | Lob Wedge: Cleveland CG15 60° 3-dot | Putter: Fisher CTS-9 Polyurethane Face

Me and a buddy are scheduled to play at Carnoustie on July 30th, just a week and a few days after the pros have had their way with the course. He landed a golf trip to Scotland and invited me along.

I was just watching a News Conference and the players were commenting a bit on the course and how they expected it to play; Tiger said the rough wasn't too bad, and that it should make for the ability to use creativity to score better. One of the press's questions was whether Tiger thought the course might actually play

too easy this year, to which he nonchalantly claimed that that would most likely not be the issue. Nonetheless, I don't think it'll be a near-Oakmont status as to the sick-deep rough or bikini-wax greens (stole that comment from Johnny Miller, LOL)

Given the weather we have had over here for the last 2 months (ridiculous amount of rain) i expect to see a rather different open this year. The course will be far softer than we normally see on the links and therefore far less run on the fairways and softer greens allowing players to fire more at the pins than might have otherwise been expected.

I am going along to carnoustie on Saturday (waterproofs and umbrella already packed) and can't wait.

G5 Driver
G2 3 & 5 Wood
i5 3 - PW Irons
52 tour wedge
56 tour wedge Putter Pro VI ball bag

• Administrator
I don't think it'll be a near-Oakmont status as to the sick-deep rough or bikini-wax greens (stole that comment from Johnny Miller, LOL)

That was Gary McCord.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Given the weather we have had over here for the last 2 months (ridiculous amount of rain) i expect to see a rather different open this year. The course will be far softer than we normally see on the links and therefore far less run on the fairways and softer greens allowing players to fire more at the pins than might have otherwise been expected.

I have been keeping tabs on the weather over there. I hope the rain cycle breaks between now and then. While I won't mind one bit playing Carnoustie, Old Course, Kingsbarns, and Balcomie in the rain, it would obviously be more enjoyable if it were sunny and 70 degrees (21*C).

Do me a favor and take some pictures of the course.. I'd love to see what condition it is in! My email is kurtwainwright@charter.net Cheers!
What's in My Bag?

Driver: 10.5° KZG SP-700 with Fujikura SIX Regular Flex Shaft | 2h: Adams A7OS Stiff | 3h: Adams A3OS Stiff | 4h: Nike Slingshot Steel | 5i-PW: Adams A2OS | Sand Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56° 3-dot | Lob Wedge: Cleveland CG15 60° 3-dot | Putter: Fisher CTS-9 Polyurethane Face

I think its the same in scotland and ireland this is the 47th consecutive day of some sort of rain ranging from short showers to full blown thunderstorms.
i will be in scotland this w/end but i will be 2 hours aay from carnoustie so i wont be going but will be glued to the tv.

In the Wilson Stand Bag

Driver:........Ping........G5 Reg shaft
3 Wood:......Mitsushiba.........M575-15°

Irons:.........Taylormade RocketBallz......3 Hybrid - PW..Stiff Shafts

Wedges:....Cleveland CG16 56 & 60

Use to struggle playing in the rain until I discovered a product called Dry Hands. The first couple of times I used it I still found myself protecting my glove from the rain till a friend of mine asked me why we were still using a glove. Thought about it for awhile and really had no answer. Now whenever it rains I don't use a glove. I highly recommend Dry Hands if your game suffers when it rains.

I don't think it'll be a near-Oakmont status as to the sick-deep rough or bikini-wax greens (stole that comment from Johnny Miller, LOL)

That was Gary McCord.

my bad. that's right. because Gary can no longer announce for the US Open, right?

No, he cannot announce for the Masters if I remember correctly. Plus the U.S. Open is always on NBC and he only does his tournaments with CBS, which holds the Masters. Its a shame too, because he would make the Masters a little more entertaining much like any other tournament he does.
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

(or the Open Championship, depending on where you live[/url]

It doesn't really matter where you live. The tournament is called "The Open Championship".

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

kurtwainwright@charter.net[/email]

Sorry, cameras were not allowed into course, so you'll have to make do with TV coverage. Was a superb day out. Dry for most of day, and very little wind. Saw plenty of golf and all the top names, except Mickelson who missed the cut. Typical of my luck that the one player I was desperate to see missed the cut. He was here practicing Mon & Tues before Scottish open last week so has had plenty of preparation and is obviously a course that just doesn't suit him. I believe this is only the third open cut he has missed in last 14 or 15 yrs, and one of the other two was Carnoustie last time out. Was gutted that he missed the cut.

G5 Driver
G2 3 & 5 Wood
i5 3 - PW Irons
52 tour wedge
56 tour wedge Putter Pro VI ball bag

my bad. that's right. because Gary can no longer announce for the US Open, right?

Gary McCord said that about Augusta, he can no longer announce for The Masters.

It doesn't really matter where you live. The tournament is called "The Open Championship".

Isn't that rather provincial? I mean, I understand the historical reasons, but really, there are other Open championships around these days.

Ping G10 9° driver
Taylormade Burner 3-wood
Taylormade Rescue 16°
Taylormade Rac OS 5-PW
Ping G2 3-4Titleist Vokey SM54.14, SM60.08Odyssey Marxman putterTitleist Pro-V1 balls

• Administrator
Isn't that rather provincial? I mean, I understand the historical reasons, but really, there are other Open championships around these days.

Most of the others are called "The Scottish Open" or "The U.S. Open" or whatever. The official name of the "British Open" is "The Open Championship."

I go both ways on this issue. I like "The Open Championship" but it's not as search engine friendly as "The British Open." Tomorrow's live blog (please read along!) is already called "2007 British Open Live Blog."

• Administrator

Note: This thread is 6116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!