IGNORED

How many here are guilty of ever hitting into anyone?

tmf9
Note: This thread is 3814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Me and my uncle were playing and this foresome of golfers had been holding us up all day.  We had been stuck behind them for six holes and they approached every shot like it was Sunday at Augusta.  About 5 practices swings for each shot and they looked at every putt from every angle known to man.  One thing I really lack in life is patience, especially on a golf course.

Finally we got to a 320 yard uphill par 4.  We got up to the tee box right before they left and they didn't even look back at us to motion us through (and there was no one at all in front of them holding them up)  So I proceed to watch them play the whole until they all get on the green (took at least 15 minutes)  I said to my uncle "I really feel like just going for it right now" I said it in a tone that I wanted to do it, but I wasn't going to but to my surprise he said "go for it."

I figured I couldn't carry it on the green so I wasn't going to hurt anyone, but I definitely knew I could get it there.  Well I absolutely murdered the drive, and ended up flying it in the greenside trap.  When I got up there to my drive they were just leaving the green and the longest hitter at the course (used to be in long drive competitions and is about 6'4 240lbs of solid muscle) was giving me the look that he wanted to beat my ass and I said "didn't know I'd hit it that far" and looked him right in the eye.  He said yeah i'm sure and turned away and walked to 15.

I kind of felt like a dick on one hand for hitting into them, but on the other I felt like they deserved it, and that was the best way to send a message.  Be honest how many of you are guilty of doing the same thing?

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

Nope. Never. You are a piece of garbage for doing so. You shouldn't be allowed on a golf course

Driver:    SLDR TP 9.5* (Tour AD DI 6S)

Wood:   Jetspeed 3W (Aldilia RIP Alpha) & SLDR 5W (Diamana Kai'li)

Hybrids: Rescue 11 3H (18*) & Rescue 11 4H (21*)

Irons:     Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW

Wedge:   ATV 52* & 58*

Putter:   Bettinardi Signature 6

Nope. Never. You are a piece of garbage for doing so. You shouldn't be allowed on a golf course

Its comments out the wazoo like this why I rarely ever come to this forum anymore. Much better places to go and talk golf vs the crap way people treat others on here.

• Upvote 1

Never on purpose but accidentally plenty of times (sometimes on the wrong green). Ha ha ha!

I did make some guys mad one time just about like you did. An uphill 340 yard hole that I had played many times before and was totally unreachable for me. Usually my tee shots were from 50 to 80 yards out on my very best.

I saw the guys on the green and thought nothing of it and hit my tee shot. When I got up to about 100 yards from the green I started looking for my ball and continued on up toward the green. Those guys were just leaving the green and I asked them if they saw my ball. One of them pointed to the back of the green and I saw my ball there. Another one said I should have waited until they got off of the green.

I apologized and told them I thought there was no way I could even come close to that green. He still didn't act very friendly about it and I thought we might have a problem but another one of them said if he ever drove that green he sure wouldn't apologize for it. That broke up the tension a little and everybody calmed down.

No idea how that happened. Maybe it hit a rock in the fairway and took a big bounce up there or something because I don't think I could hit another ball on that green in a million years.

While I would not say you are a piece of garbage, I have to say it is not something I have done. I generally error on the side of caution. Typically I will wait until the group ahead is a good 40 yards past the longest drive I have ever hit.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Man if you hit one 340 to the back of the green uphill you shouldn't apologize! Especially if it was an accident.  The guy who was was mad at me was notorious for having a bad temper, and is known to throw clubs, and break them.  I thought he wanted to kill me lol but appearently he was saying in the clubhouse he thought he was the only one at the course that could reach that green, and didn't seem to mad about me hitting into them after he calmed down.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

As many others, never intentionally but a few times by accident.  If I am ever tempted to hit into a group, it is good to replay in my mind explaining to someone how these guys in front of me were slow so I decided to blind one of them in the eye (or worse).  Kind of puts things in perspective for me and the momentary thought passes quickly.

Sending a message may seem like the right idea but the consequences of making a mistake one will regret forever really ought to prevent actually performing the act.  In your case, you really did not think you could fly it that far so it was somewhat of an accident and no one got hurt.  It should probably be the last time you do it, though.

Brian Kuehn

Originally Posted by bkuehn1952

As many others, never intentionally but a few times by accident.  If I am ever tempted to hit into a group, it is good to replay in my mind explaining to someone how these guys in front of me were slow so I decided to blind one of them in the eye (or worse).  Kind of puts things in perspective for me and the momentary thought passes quickly.

Sending a message may seem like the right idea but the consequences of making a mistake one will regret forever really ought to prevent actually performing the act.  In your case, you really did not think you could fly it that far so it was somewhat of an accident and no one got hurt.  It should probably be the last time you do it, though.

Yeah, I definitely didn't want to hurt anyone.  Just trying to get them to hurry the hell up, or let us play through.  These group of guys just act like they run the course and have no respect for anyone else trying to play a round in a timely manner.  Next time, i'll clear my head or just plain ask them If i can play through if they're gonna play so slow.

What's in my bag?

Yeah, I definitely didn't want to hurt anyone.  Just trying to get them to hurry the hell up, or let us play through.  These group of guys just act like they run the course and have no respect for anyone else trying to play a round in a timely manner.  Next time, i'll clear my head or just plain ask them If i can play through if they're gonna play so slow.

That's a much better idea

Driver:    SLDR TP 9.5* (Tour AD DI 6S)

Wood:   Jetspeed 3W (Aldilia RIP Alpha) & SLDR 5W (Diamana Kai'li)

Hybrids: Rescue 11 3H (18*) & Rescue 11 4H (21*)

Irons:     Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW

Wedge:   ATV 52* & 58*

Putter:   Bettinardi Signature 6

Originally Posted by tmf9

Man if you hit one 340 to the back of the green uphill you shouldn't apologize! Especially if it was an accident.  The guy who was was mad at me was notorious for having a bad temper, and is known to throw clubs, and break them.  I thought he wanted to kill me lol but appearently he was saying in the clubhouse he thought he was the only one at the course that could reach that green, and didn't seem to mad about me hitting into them after he calmed down.

Umm ... if you knew the guy was that big and had a bad temper, why exactly would you want to risk angering him? I'm not sure you thought that plan through very thoroughly. ;)

I would never do anything like this now, but I have before, when I was younger like yourself.  (You're 19, so in my book you get some free passes for this kind of thing.)  I remember 2 instances in particular.  One was a short-ish par 4, similar to your scenario, except more like 260 or something.  I knew I couldn't fly it that far but wanted to wait anyway just in case.  The others in my group had already hit and I was still waiting while the group behind us was coming off the previous hole.  I was not ready to hear any sarcastic "oh, you think you can hit it that far?" comments from them, which would have virtually assured that I whiffed or shanked it or something, so I went ahead and hit.  I hit it perfectly straight and pretty well, such that it rolled right up onto the green and hit one of the guys in the foot.  It was not moving fast, and didn't do any harm, but he took umbrage anyway.  (We had yelled fore, but I don't know if he heard or not)  He looked back at us, waved his arms, then reached down and grabbed the ball and threw it across the street that bordered the course.  As I walked up to the green I had enough courage (I was really nervous) to at least walk along the edge of the fairway towards the next hole and was waiting for him to come yell at me so I could apologize, but it never materialized.  He avoided me ... I guess because he decided that he got his point across already and didn't want to deal with us.

The other time was actually a friend of mine.  We were in the fairway on a par 5 and we were "sure" that he couldn't reach the green so we all thought it was safe.  Of course, he hit the best shot of his life and rolled it up onto the green where the group in front was putting.  One of them (maybe it was the same guy from my other story, who knows) grabbed his ball, held it up to us, then turned and threw it onto the train tracks that bordered the course.  Then, this guy got in his cart and started driving back to us.  He was screaming at us for the amount of time it took him to slow down and turn the cart around, all the while we were apologizing and trying to explain that it was a fluke but he wasn't having it.

I also remember hitting the top of a cart on a par 3.  I was waiting for them to clear the green, and they were safely away and in their carts, however, they didn't drive away immediately, and I hit a horrendous shot and smacked the top of their cart.

Other than those 3, all I remember is plenty of close calls when I sliced it into the wrong fairway.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Umm ... if you knew the guy was that big and had a bad temper, why exactly would you want to risk angering him?   I'm not sure you thought that plan through very thoroughly. ;)

I would never do anything like this now, but I have before, when I was younger like yourself.  (You're 19, so in my book you get some free passes for this kind of thing.)  I remember 2 instances in particular.  One was a short-ish par 4, similar to your scenario, except more like 260 or something.  I knew I couldn't fly it that far but wanted to wait anyway just in case.  The others in my group had already hit and I was still waiting while the group behind us was coming off the previous hole.  I was not ready to hear any sarcastic "oh, you think you can hit it that far?" comments from them, which would have virtually assured that I whiffed or shanked it or something, so I went ahead and hit.  I hit it perfectly straight and pretty well, such that it rolled right up onto the green and hit one of the guys in the foot.  It was not moving fast, and didn't do any harm, but he took umbrage anyway.  (We had yelled fore, but I don't know if he heard or not)  He looked back at us, waved his arms, then reached down and grabbed the ball and threw it across the street that bordered the course.  As I walked up to the green I had enough courage (I was really nervous) to at least walk along the edge of the fairway towards the next hole and was waiting for him to come yell at me so I could apologize, but it never materialized.  He avoided me ... I guess because he decided that he got his point across already and didn't want to deal with us.

The other time was actually a friend of mine.  We were in the fairway on a par 5 and we were "sure" that he couldn't reach the green so we all thought it was safe.  Of course, he hit the best shot of his life and rolled it up onto the green where the group in front was putting.  One of them (maybe it was the same guy from my other story, who knows) grabbed his ball, held it up to us, then turned and threw it onto the train tracks that bordered the course.  Then, this guy got in his cart and started driving back to us.  He was screaming at us for the amount of time it took him to slow down and turn the cart around, all the while we were apologizing and trying to explain that it was a fluke but he wasn't having it.

I also remember hitting the top of a cart on a par 3.  I was waiting for them to clear the green, and they were safely away and in their carts, however, they didn't drive away immediately, and I hit a horrendous shot and smacked the top of their cart.

Other than those 3, all I remember is plenty of close calls when I sliced it into the wrong fairway.

Haha man when I get mad, I don't exactly think things through.  When I got up to the green I was almost as pissed as he was.  Not going to lie I was a little concerned with how exactly he was going to react.

What's in my bag?

If you're ever going to hit into a group, make sure none of them are big enough to whoop your ass. I also suggest you quickly pull out your 3w and make it look like you used it to hit the shot. Might make it more plausible you were laying up... And just because the scorecard says 340, usually does not mean that it takes a 340 yard drive to reach. Could be measured around hazards or the tees moved up or whatnot and only be 310 carry to the center of the green. 310 is quite doable, especially with roll, and wouldn't take much of a fluke. Same as that 260 the Golfingdad posted, could have been 240 which even a hack could manage with roll some of the time.

In all seriousness, don't hit into people. It's too easy to turn into road rage. This goes double if they have some money on it, guys like that often do, it'd explain their slow pace. If possible report slow play to a ranger or course employee, hopefully they will have the balls to confront the huge dude about it.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Originally Posted by jlt73

Originally Posted by avmcdevildog

Its comments out the wazoo like this why I rarely ever come to this forum anymore. Much better places to go and talk golf vs the crap way people treat others on here.

You should give this place another shot then ... because I'm on here all the time (seriously, I need to get a life ... ALL THE TIME ;)) and I hardly ever see this anymore.

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

If you're ever going to hit into a group, make sure none of them are big enough to whoop your ass. I also suggest you quickly pull out your 3w and make it look like you used it to hit the shot. Might make it more plausible you were laying up... And just because the scorecard says 340, usually does not mean that it takes a 340 yard drive to reach. Could be measured around hazards or the tees moved up or whatnot and only be 310 carry to the center of the green. 310 is quite doable, especially with roll, and wouldn't take much of a fluke. Same as that 260 the Golfingdad posted, could have been 240 which even a hack could manage with roll some of the time.

In all seriousness, don't hit into people. It's too easy to turn into road rage. This goes double if they have some money on it, guys like that often do, it'd explain their slow pace. If possible report slow play to a ranger or course employee, hopefully they will have the balls to confront the huge dude about it.

Sadly it is a country club in a very small town so there is no ranger, and there is only one guy who works in the clubhouse (and two cuties in the snack bar ) but I know the guy pretty well in the clubhouse and I highly doubt he would do anything.  I'd be much better off confronting him myself which is probably what i'll do next time

What's in my bag?

Originally Posted by tmf9

Sadly it is a country club in a very small town so there is no ranger, and there is only one guy who works in the clubhouse (and two cuties in the snack bar ) but I know the guy pretty well in the clubhouse and I highly doubt he would do anything.  I'd be much better off confronting him myself which is probably what i'll do next time

Obviously there's only one thing to do; spend the 10 minute wait channeling that frustration by getting to know the 2 ladies better. Let your uncle get his brains beaten out by some enraged gorilla on the tee while you smooth talk your way to some digits. Anyone who wasn't a serious golfer would've been doing that already. :P

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Obviously there's only one thing to do; spend the 10 minute wait channeling that frustration by getting to know the 2 ladies better. Let your uncle get his brains beaten out by some enraged gorilla on the tee while you smooth talk your way to some digits. Anyone who wasn't a serious golfer would've been doing that already. :P

Oh i've already gotten to know one of the ladies quite well

What's in my bag?

Not intentionally but in a junior tournament one time I almost hit a friend in the group ahead of me. He was about 260 out (I remember lasering) and at the time I was happy to hit it 240 with roll. Well I apparently was able to hit the drive of my life and flew it about 10 yards short of him and it hit hard and bounced right by him. I felt bad I honestly didn't think I'd even come. I apologized and all he did was laugh and say you'll never hit another one that well.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

A ball hit my friends foot off the bounce from someones drive on a par 4. He didn't get upset, but the older couple who we got paired up with was pissed. The wife grabbed a tee from her bag and placed the ball on the tee. . It made it really awkward when the course was backed up and they were stacked up with us at the tee box.

Note: This thread is 3814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!