IGNORED

What to say in the awkward silences after a bad shot?

Brandon138
Note: This thread is 4023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm usually the "least skilled" member of my group, so I tend to just keep my mouth shut, even if we've been kidding around all day. There comes a time when you know the anger is real, and it tends to go away after a good shot.  Then we can go back and relive the shots that led to the anger, again and again.

When it's me, I don't mind getting shit from the others. It tends to snap me out of it and make me realize that I'm generally not good enough to get mad when I make a bad shot.

One thing I can't stand, however, is someone is repeatedly telling me what I'm doing wrong when I'm having a bad day. I don't need to hear "you really picked your head up on that one" every time I top the ball. Especially from someone who is not doing much better than me.

Originally Posted by Perfect Slicer

I don't need to hear "you really picked your head up on that one" every time I top the ball.

Then quit pulling your head.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Originally Posted by rick0502

"you can't hit them all bad"

That would probably get on my nerves...especially if said after each successive poor shot.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I may have ended up on the ground at some point.  It was the combination of the ball rolling back....slowly, the ricochet off the tree, and the deer running for their life that made for a gut-busting scene.

Yeah thanks, Im over here laughing at my desk right now.

• Upvote 1

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by bplewis24

That would probably get on my nerves...especially if said after each successive poor shot.

but if you think about it, it's great. because when they do do hit a good shot, you can say it to them again. "can't hit them all bad".

If one of my buddies or I hit a bad shot, I say "get in the hole!" or "be the club!" or something like that.  Usually gets a chuckle

I love to hate this damn game.

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

I never say something like "hey, don't worry about it" ... If the guy is mad, I say nothing at all.  In our regular group, though, I usually make a smart-alecky remark.  Like, if he hits a flop shot way over the green, I say "wow .. that was a brave swing" . .or if he skulls one on the ground I'll say "smart move taking the wind out of play" . .etc.

those are good - we need to start a new thread with wise cracks for bad golf shots.......I need a few for my group that can take a ribbing and laugh about it.

Originally Posted by twomey7

If one of my buddies or I hit a bad shot, I say "get in the hole!" or "be the club!" or something like that.  Usually gets a chuckle

"Be the club!"

I'm definitely adding that to my repertoire of witty/sarcastic observations.

Cart Bag   910 D2 Driver 10.5*, F10 Hybrid 19*, AP2 712 Irons 3-W  56* and 60*

Custom Shop Junk Yard Dog - Laguna 2

I was paired with a 9 Vandicap that played mid-teens...  His partner was a 20 HC and was pushing him every hole.  'Vandi' tops about his fourth drive in a row trying to pound it 345 and his partner observes "You clubbed that one like a baby seal."

I laughed until the tears ran.  Timing is everything and this guy was Johnny Carson on that one.

Cart Bag   910 D2 Driver 10.5*, F10 Hybrid 19*, AP2 712 Irons 3-W  56* and 60*

Custom Shop Junk Yard Dog - Laguna 2

Quote:

those are good - we need to start a new thread with wise cracks for bad golf shots.......I need a few for my group that can take a ribbing and laugh about it.

Start it up. I got a few I could add..

dak4n6

Originally Posted by twomey7

I like this.  In fact, I'd prefer it to be said like the Hal Sutton expressed, "oh be the RIGHT CLUB TODAY!" while walking after his 25 yard duff.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I don't try to sugar-coat a turd.   If a player hits a bad shot....I don't say anything.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

"Boy, that escalated quickly!"

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If it is one of my close friends, we make a joke like "right in the lumberyard!".  If not, I say nothing and keep watching the ball to help find it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Brandon138

So, for me, there's usually always a guy in the group that is not so great. So it seems like there is at least 1 shot per hole where he hits a terrible shot and gets mad. And there is usually an awkward silence after that and it can weird. What do you guys say or do to kind of break the tension without making it too obvious that your just saying something because they hit a bad shot?

Just say something like "Unlucky man" or if the guy understands some humor then something like "Dont worry mate, you can still make a 10!"

If someone said that right after I chunked a 5i off the tee for 30 yds (165 yr par 3), I'd p**s myself laughing and immediately forget the irritation.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

There usually isn't an awkward silence with my group.  Anyone, good or bad golfer, will have someone making fun of their shot immediately after they hit a bad shot.  That way their is more of a friendly, "up yours" attitude with us.  We always praise the good and definitely insult the bad.  If their ever were any awkward silence it would be after an average shot.

Note: This thread is 4023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!