IGNORED

Am I spending too much on golf?

golf55
Note: This thread is 4041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I spend about 2,000-2,500 on golf every year! Green fees, range buckets, new balls, new glove, new spikes. Too much?

Obviously not clubs or anything I didn't listed.

This is not a question anyone here can answer because we don't know your financial situation.  If you were making $15,000 a year to live on and were spending that much money on golf, then maybe I would say yes.

But if you are making $250,000 a year then I would probably say no.

Just ask yourself a few questions:

Am I saving for retirement (unless you are already retired)?

Do my expenses on Golf cause me to live paycheck to paycheck?

Is the money I spend on golf straining my personal life/marriage/children?

I spend my money on "wants" based on these questions and a few others.

• Upvote 1

Jeff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by golf55

I spend about 2,000-2,500 on golf every year! Green fees, range buckets, new balls, new glove, new spikes. Too much?

I think if you cut out buying gloves you might be ok?  ;)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

I spend about the same each year but I'm comfortable enough with my finances to know I can afford it. I actually think I should spend more to play better, less crowded courses and increase my enjoyment. And the past few years I've taken really nice golf trips with friends ($800-1000) that I can hope to do more of.

As others have already said, there's no right or wrong answer we can give not knowing your personal financial situation. If you're taking care of your family and the needs are being met and you can afford it without going in debt, I'd say you're fine.

These threads come up periodically.  Here's the most recent that I remember.  You can compare your costs to some of the others on here.

As others have said, affordability and value are very personal and subjective.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/62326/how-much-do-you-typically-spend-on-golf

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

As other posters have said, the question is relative to how much your total income is, and what your tax and other financial obligations are.

Joe Paradiso

If you love golf, it's one of your favourite hobbies and you can spend that amount without hurting your economy, I don't see an issue. I tend to spend a lot of money on my main interests, but I don't waste a lot on other stuff. I can spend that kind of money myself during a season.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by golf55

really depends on your net income, if you're in severe debt, your emergency fund finances, etc etc etc....Here in FLA, it's about on par for green fees for the year or membership/cart fee costs at non-exclusive clubs in my area.

If you play a lot, that seems perfectly justified to me.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Yes.  I think you need to cut back by 45% at least or quit altogether.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Spending money one something that is fun, social, outdoors and somewhat physical is always good.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

If you're getting 30 rounds a year or anything more than that, with all the ancillary costs adding up to the amount, I'd say it's a great value no matter what, aside from your family suffering financially because of it.  I am not a rich man, but I do OK and cost of living is average to maybe below average where I'm at, so I have no problem spending what I do, which is probably in the $6-8k range annually, counting membership dues (which cover more than golf, but if it weren't for golf I wouldn't be paying), occasionally riding in a cart, golfing on vacation or other travel, equipment, etc.  Golf is more than a hobby or something to do to stay active, or a way to be social for me.  It's a passion, a way of life, and I wouldn't do without it except in very severe situations.  Put it this way, if my wife ever (and she never would, but if she did) said I needed to cut back on or quit golfing for any other reason other than financial hardship, we would have a serious problem.

Nike SQ MachSpeed Driver 

Calloway RAZR Fit 3W  

Taylor Made R7 Irons 

White Ice #1 35" 

Mizuno F50 5-7W 

Bushnell Medalist Range Finder 

Note: This thread is 4041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!