Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Davie81

Suggestions for new fairway woods

9 posts in this topic

So here's the deal, I'm a 26 handicapper who couldn't hit a 3 wood for the life of me until a couple of weeks ago. Although it's still a bit ropey, it's certainly getting there bit by bit.

I'm wondering if there's any suggestions for a 3 and 5 wood which would be good for me to go into the bag?

Also what's peoples thoughts on multiple brands in their bag? I've got 4 at the moment and would it be better to keep the same brand for all woods?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I'm quite bad for OCD on brands in the bag. Though I'm thinking of introducing more soon.

As for fairway wood suggestions: the Callaway X hot's seem to be getting good reviews, not hit one myself but I need new woods and this is one of the one's I'm thinking about.

I was looking at the Cobra Amp Cell at the Scottish Golf show today but they're a bit pricey and the pushy hard selling rep was putting me off.

The Amp looks ok though and also the Cobra s3 is apparantly pretty good.  I've currently got a Taylormade Burner Superfast driver and an old Ram 3 wood.

You could do worse than the Cobra Amp Cell. They are adjustable I think but kinda pricey.

If your driver is a Taylormade, I'd suggest sticking with the same brand for now, unless you plan to replace the driver later.

I'm toying with a new driver maybe in a year or so if that helps?

I'd look into drivers now as well, test them as well as the fairway woods. Then buy the wood now, get used to it and you can look forward to getting the driver in a year (for cheaper).

Hey, I think the Cobra Amp, Taylormade RBZ Stage 2, XHot, and Adams Super S are all great candidates.

Demo them.

I'd probably advice you to go 5 wood first, get accurate with it, and then evaluate whether you need a 3 wood on the course. It's one thing to hit it on a LM, it's another to hit it well on the course.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Am I correct in saying that a 5 is easier to hit off the ground? Although my 3 is now better than it was off the tee, I can't hit it off the ground.

Originally Posted by Davie81

Am I correct in saying that a 5 is easier to hit off the ground? Although my 3 is now better than it was off the tee, I can't hit it off the ground.

Typically, a shorter length shaft with more loft is easier to hit from the turf and get in the air ... of course, which club head and shaft is the question. We all respond differently to different clubs.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades