IGNORED

How long till your handicap fell?

Davie81
Note: This thread is 3213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hear that IntheHole (I tried to reply directly to your post but it would seem it didn't work!)  I mentioned on another thread (how long  . . . to break 80) - I've had a few very good rounds, for me, recently and got cut to 11.  I followed this happy occurrence with a 104 in the club Champs!!

It would seem that although I know the ability is there (as it is in most golfers I see - we all hit good shots, make putts etc, at times) being consistent is what is so elusive.  That seems to be very personal to each golfer but for me consistently getting my hips through, with good posture and striking ball first on every shot seem to be the biggest factors.

I expect another plateau now but really hope to keep progressing.  That said, getting a lower HC from here will take some doing . . .

Have to agree with BuckeyeNut as well - I'v been able to play 2 -3 times a week these last few months but if that was reduced to once a week I think it would become a lot harder.

I'm not totally sure how many years I've played all together. I never took the game seriously enough to try and improve until just over 2 years ago. Even then, and still now to some extent, I never fully committed to the work it will take to really make serious improvements.

Jeremie,   golf is FUN/Play!  That's why we play golf!

When you make it sound like work, it sounds like a job.   For me personally, I am passionate about the game and WANT to play at every opportunity.  I log 100+ rounds a year because I love to play.   I mix in a couple late evenings during the week along with "dawn patrol" golf on the weekend so golf can fit-in with daily life/family.  I'm usually home by 10-11am on the weekend. For anyone with passion for the game, there is a way to make it happen and have a family life.  If a lull hits when nothing is going on late afternoon on the weekend, I've been known to go back for a 2nd 18 holes before dark!!   Pending family obligations of course!!!

In contrast, practicing sounds like work.    this is why I PLAY at every opportunity.  This isn't for everybody, but I haven't hit a bucket of balls since 1995....LOL    I'd rather just play golf and have fun! ;-)

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• Administrator
Jeremie,   golf is FUN/Play!  That's why we play golf!

When you make it sound like work, it sounds like a job.   For me personally, I am passionate about the game and WANT to play at every opportunity.  I log 100+ rounds a year because I love to play.   I mix in a couple late evenings during the week along with "dawn patrol" golf on the weekend so golf can fit-in with daily life/family.  I'm usually home by 10-11am on the weekend. For anyone with passion for the game, there is a way to make it happen and have a family life.  If a lull hits when nothing is going on late afternoon on the weekend, I've been known to go back for a 2nd 18 holes before dark!!   Pending family obligations of course!!!

In contrast, practicing sounds like work.    this is why I PLAY at every opportunity.  This isn't for everybody, but I haven't hit a bucket of balls since 1995....LOL    I'd rather just play golf and have fun!

Different people have different goals.

For example, I would not be content to be a 3.3, and I don't feel that practice is "work." I enjoy it. Plus it can take less time than playing even ONE hole of golf, AND you can often practice when you can't play (like inside your house, when it's dark, at work, etc.).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's sort of a balancing act between your own expectations for your game and the realities of the time and resources you can devote to golf. Sometimes I'll come off the course and think I should have done so much better. After calming down a bit and thinking about it, you remember what you actually were doing a year or two ago. It's easy to lose perspective in the context of the past two to three weeks.

Practice isn't work for me. I like it. It's just tough to fit in. My facility is a bit of detour from work to home. If I get off an hour early its easy to stop by. Otherwise it usually doesn't happen. Weekends are for play.

[QUOTE name="Jeremie Boop" url="/t/65725/how-long-till-your-handicap-fell/36#post_1161683"]   I'm not totally sure how many years I've played all together. I never took the game seriously enough to try and improve until just over 2 years ago. Even then, and still now to some extent, I never fully committed to the work it will take to really make serious improvements.  [/QUOTE] Jeremie,   golf is FUN/Play!  That's why we [U]play[/U] golf!    When you make it sound like work, it sounds like a job.   For me personally, I am passionate about the game and WANT to play at every opportunity.  I log 100+ rounds a year because I love to play.   I mix in a couple late evenings during the week along with "dawn patrol" golf on the weekend so golf can fit-in with daily life/family.  I'm usually home by 10-11am on the weekend. For anyone with passion for the game, there is a way to make it happen and have a family life.  If a lull hits when nothing is going on late afternoon on the weekend, I've been known to go back for a 2nd 18 holes before dark!!   Pending family obligations of course!!! In contrast, practicing sounds like work.    this is why I PLAY at every opportunity.  This isn't for everybody, but I haven't hit a bucket of balls since 1995....LOL    I'd rather just play golf and have fun!;-)

The main thing is you play at a reasonably good level already. So, playing is all you need to sustain your skill level. Many of us are still learning the skills, and some of us don't even have a game yet. I think once I have a decent swing, I'll probably revert to just playing as well. Until then, I enjoy practicing and making slow and steady progress.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!