• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dukethethird

HELP exercise specific to golf

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys i now have a gym membership and i am not sure what exactly i should be doing for golf specifically. Let me know what you do for your game at the gym. As always thanks for the feedback!

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Core strength and lower body strength can really help you add some distance.  I'm a huge believer that power lifts like squats and deadlifts really help, because they do a good job strengthening your lower body which allows you to swing faster and harder while maintaining balance. Squats not only improve overall leg strength, but if you get nice and deep in them they also improve hip flexibility, which is nice to have during the rotation of the swing.  Core exersises also help because when you turn through on the downswing you can really fire your upper body through with good core strength.

What abt some stretching and flexing exercises ?

My friend is a sports doctor and he gave me these stretches for my bad back. I do them everyday (except the icing part), but especially before golf. Some seem counterintuitive, but they work great. Especially the first one. Good luck!

Originally Posted by dukethethird

Hey guys i now have a gym membership and i am not sure what exactly i should be doing for golf specifically. Let me know what you do for your game at the gym. As always thanks for the feedback!

Have you been exercising before, if not then learn the basics. Golf specific exercises can be complex, especially rotation. If you jump into that stuff, you can do some damage if you overestimate your strength. I would learn how to do the following correctly,

Squat, lunge, bench press, shoulder press, plank, row, dead lift

These will get you started on basic overall strength. Cause lets say you jump into golf specific, and you put a heavy load on your shoulder joint, with out the proper strength, your small rotator cuff muscles will take a bigger strain and injury can happen.

Tips on the squat, do not arch your back, and do not keep your head up. Want your back in neutral, and keep your head inline with your spine. Also, learn a full squat, its better for the knees. Also, flare your toes a bit, about 30 degrees outward, this will open the hips, allowing for a deeper squat, if not your hip muscles get blocked by the hip joint, and you can become unstable in the squat.

Awards and Achievements

I recommend you pick up "Golf Anatomy" at the book store. It's got a really good set-up with pictures, workouts and long term programs...plus it really explains how each movement specifically relates to the golf swing.