IGNORED

HELP exercise specific to golf

dukethethird
Note: This thread is 3967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys i now have a gym membership and i am not sure what exactly i should be doing for golf specifically. Let me know what you do for your game at the gym. As always thanks for the feedback!

Core strength and lower body strength can really help you add some distance.  I'm a huge believer that power lifts like squats and deadlifts really help, because they do a good job strengthening your lower body which allows you to swing faster and harder while maintaining balance. Squats not only improve overall leg strength, but if you get nice and deep in them they also improve hip flexibility, which is nice to have during the rotation of the swing.  Core exersises also help because when you turn through on the downswing you can really fire your upper body through with good core strength.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

What abt some stretching and flexing exercises ?

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted by dukethethird

Hey guys i now have a gym membership and i am not sure what exactly i should be doing for golf specifically. Let me know what you do for your game at the gym. As always thanks for the feedback!

Have you been exercising before, if not then learn the basics. Golf specific exercises can be complex, especially rotation. If you jump into that stuff, you can do some damage if you overestimate your strength. I would learn how to do the following correctly,

Squat, lunge, bench press, shoulder press, plank, row, dead lift

These will get you started on basic overall strength. Cause lets say you jump into golf specific, and you put a heavy load on your shoulder joint, with out the proper strength, your small rotator cuff muscles will take a bigger strain and injury can happen.

Tips on the squat, do not arch your back, and do not keep your head up. Want your back in neutral, and keep your head inline with your spine. Also, learn a full squat, its better for the knees. Also, flare your toes a bit, about 30 degrees outward, this will open the hips, allowing for a deeper squat, if not your hip muscles get blocked by the hip joint, and you can become unstable in the squat.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

I recommend you pick up "Golf Anatomy" at the book store. It's got a really good set-up with pictures, workouts and long term programs...plus it really explains how each movement specifically relates to the golf swing.

Note: This thread is 3967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!