IGNORED

In the market for new irons and trying to find the perfect set...

amac
Note: This thread is 4036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently have 704CB's and have been swinging them ever since they came out.  I love the forged feel and have some great rounds with these clubs.  However, it's time to upgrade.  I haven't played much the last couple of years, but was a 7 when I was playing.  At the ripe old age of 40, I am looking for clubs with a bit more forgiveness in the longer irons and shotmaker, ball control short irons.  I haven't seen a set of irons that fulfill that role.

I am considering JPX 825 Pro, MP64, Anser's, G25 and X Hot irons.  The local pro shops are steering me away from AP1 and 2's. I am waiting to catch a demo day to hit them on a range.  I can't tell much hitting into a net.  Everything feels good off the turf.  Right now, I am leaning towards the JPX 825 Pro's.  But I like the look of the MP 64 7-PW better.  Would you advise against mixing sets? Mizuno sells their clubs "by the club" and with both models being forged, the feel should be fairly close.  Thoughts or advice?

Driver :tmade: R1

Fairwaywood :tmade: Rocketballz Stage 2 15*

Hybrids :ping: i15 20* and 23* Hybrids

Irons :mizuno: MP64 4 - PW

Wedges :edel: 54* and 58* 

Putter :edel: 

Golf Ball :titleist: Pro V1 

You can only really tell by hitting them all... outside. You have some good candidates from which to choose. I personally like Mizuno, so I am biased. But, as I said before, take your time and hit them all. Enjoy the process... and your new irons.

I'm curious. Why are the local shops steering you away from the Titleists?

Their feeling is the Titleist is the hardest/least forgiving on mishits clubs on the market to hit.  I may still give them a try, but again, I'd like to see a more forgiving club with my longer irons and more blade-like iron with 7 and down.  Wish there was a set that embodied that concept.

I recently went to a demo day and hit the 2013 Callaway X Forged - a revelation - picked up the 5-PW and took a couple of strokes with each club. For a player's club, these were easy. Had some forgiveness and went through the turf easily.

Hit 'em and you might consider the XHot in the 4i or 5i and then go XForged in 5i-PW or  6-PW. or hybrids in the lower lofts.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I recently went to a demo day and hit the 2013 Callaway X Forged - a revelation - picked up the 5-PW and took a couple of strokes with each club. For a player's club, these were easy. Had some forgiveness and went through the turf easily.

Hit 'em and you might consider the XHot in the 4i or 5i and then go XForged in 5i-PW or  6-PW. or hybrids in the lower lofts.

If I'm not mistaken, the XHot are cast, while the X Forged are well, forged.  I'm concerned the feel would be too different.  Like with the Mizuno set, I am considering the XHot in 4i-6i and then XHot Pro 7i and down.  There was a recent private club demo day that I was unable to attend. I will wait for the next one to appear and go hit them all!

I hit all the new Callaway irons at the range a little while ago and found the X Hot Pros suited me best. Would love to tell you that there's a night-and-day difference in feel with the X Forged, but if there is I couldn't detect it. The XHP just launch higher and demand less precision. I've also tried the JPX-825 Pros indoors and found them quite comparable to the XHP. If I was building a Mizzy set, I'd go MP-H4 in the 3, 4, 5 and then JPX-825 Pro 6 - PW. I've never hit any long irons better or straighter than the MP-H4s. Everything was just a frozen rope.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

I hit all the new Callaway irons at the range a little while ago and found the X Hot Pros suited me best. Would love to tell you that there's a night-and-day difference in feel with the X Forged, but if there is I couldn't detect it. The XHP just launch higher and demand less precision. I've also tried the JPX-825 Pros indoors and found them quite comparable to the XHP. If I was building a Mizzy set, I'd go MP-H4 in the 3, 4, 5 and then JPX-825 Pro 6 - PW. I've never hit any long irons better or straighter than the MP-H4s. Everything was just a frozen rope.

Thanks.  I'll definitely try out the H4's.  At first glance, I didn't like the large sole on the 3,4 and 5.  They have a driving iron look to them.  The pro shop guy said the same as you - they are straight hitters and easy to hit.

Dear Amac

As i turned 42, i decided to "make" my first fiiting... I did it with Mizuno, and really get charmed by the MP59.

Forged irons with titanium insert (3-PW) +(MP-T4 wedges).

Club head felt to me small on the first days, but the feel of a good centered shot is unbeleivable. Shaping shots is really different, if i could compare with car driving, it is like a powerfull engine where you need to make really very small adjustement to stay on the road.

Tolerance is higher than clubs from the MP6X series, and definitely agree with other reviews about the fact that Teitlest blades are less forgiving.

But MP59 are really way more difficult to play than most of the cavity back clubs.

Last but not least, the sound is really unique, you really hear a good shot.

I strongly recommand those clubs with fitting, considering the importance of the shaft. (Mizuno will track your swing speed and let you try between 3 or 4 different ones)

With the Mizuno system, i discovered how important is the proper shaft, when we talk about grouping 6 irons shots within a few meters. (At first i thought this was mostly marketing trick, but it is definitely not.. results ont the radar do not lie :o)

I am now playing them since 5 weeks, and i get more comfy every round (even with 3 & 4 irons)

Regards.

Originally Posted by amac

If I'm not mistaken, the XHot are cast, while the X Forged are well, forged.  I'm concerned the feel would be too different.  Like with the Mizuno set, I am considering the XHot in 4i-6i and then XHot Pro 7i and down.  There was a recent private club demo day that I was unable to attend. I will wait for the next one to appear and go hit them all!

Yes, but I noticed some touring pros are basically doing what I suggested above. If they can handle it...

I thought the X Forged weren't that demanding. But I am coming from Miura PP-9003 irons, that while forgiving, still demand your attention. Maybe it was the extra bounce on the XForged that helped them interact well with the turf.

Of course, instead of XHot Pros in a 3-4i, there is the hybrid option.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Yes, but I noticed some touring pros are basically doing what I suggested above. If they can handle it...

I thought the X Forged weren't that demanding. But I am coming from Miura PP-9003 irons, that while forgiving, still demand your attention. Maybe it was the extra bounce on the XForged that helped them interact well with the turf.

I've heard nothing but great things about the 2013 X Forged, unfortunately no one has had a left hand version for me to try.  Local store owner here believes the new X Forged could put Callaway back into consideration within the mid -  lower handicaps again.

Joe Paradiso

I'll give the Calloway's a try.  I've already replaced the 2i and 3i with hybrids.  I'm not quite ready for the full on senior bag.  LOL  I will stick with 4i - 6i "game improvement" irons and go 7i - sw with players irons, of some sort.  Honestly, I thought people would be advising against a mix-match set of clubs.  If I go that route, there is no/ZERO resale for that set of clubs.  Whats more, the look of the club will change considerably when I pull that 7i out of the bag.  How many people out there mix up there iron set?

I don't know if you are looking for a game enhancement club, but i hit the 825s as well as the ping g25 and some taylormade irons at my fitting, I hit the I20s last and knew instantly that this was my new Iron set. Kelper's let me demo a 7i with px 5.5 shaft for a week. Love The clubs, my distances went up and ball strike feel and sound are better than anything I tried at the fitting, may be worth a look for you.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

I'll give the Calloway's a try.  I've already replaced the 2i and 3i with hybrids.  I'm not quite ready for the full on senior bag.  LOL  I will stick with 4i - 6i "game improvement" irons and go 7i - sw with players irons, of some sort.  Honestly, I thought people would be advising against a mix-match set of clubs.  If I go that route, there is no/ZERO resale for that set of clubs.  Whats more, the look of the club will change considerably when I pull that 7i out of the bag.  How many people out there mix up there iron set?

I would say this -- demo the X Forged in 5-PW. If it doesn't work consistently, and you want resale value, go XHot.

I hit the XHot Pro (?) and preferred the X Forged. The XHot looked big. Didn't try it.

Go with your gut instinct - My usual advice is buy the most forgiving iron that you love. I think you've got to love it, looking down at it and twirling it in your hands.

Bought the RBZ irons from Taylormade last year. They offer more accurate/forgiving short irons and have "metal wood" technology in the longer irons for more distance. I hit them against Ping g20s and Callaway razor, RBZ was the club for me. Gotta to try them and see what is best for you. I personally love my RBZ, crisp feel, more distance, more accuracy, couldn't be happier.

Originally Posted by madolive3

I don't know if you are looking for a game enhancement club, but i hit the 825s as well as the ping g25 and some taylormade irons at my fitting, I hit the I20s last and knew instantly that this was my new Iron set. Kelper's let me demo a 7i with px 5.5 shaft for a week. Love The clubs, my distances went up and ball strike feel and sound are better than anything I tried at the fitting, may be worth a look for you.

Mad, did you hit the 825 Pro's?  They would be more apples to apples with the i20.  I definitely plan to try everything Ping has out and Calloway.  My reservation about Ping is the amount of offset, especially the g25.  Finding the right clubs will be a meticulous process of trial and more trial.  I think there is a market out there for a set of clubs like I'm looking - slightly larger, more forgiving, cavity back long iron with aggressive sole (not driver iron size) - gradually reducing club head size, cavity back becoming more aggressive until you get to 7i or 8i where the club takes on a muscle back look. Forge these clubs and I'm sold!  There are some attempts (mizuno h4) but, for me, the longer irons have too wide a sole and or the short irons have too much cavity back.  Oh well.  I'm looking for that Goldilocks scenario.  LOL

Mad, did you hit the 825 Pro's?  They would be more apples to apples with the i20.  I definitely plan to try everything Ping has out and Calloway.  My reservation about Ping is the amount of offset, especially the g25.  Finding the right clubs will be a meticulous process of trial and more trial.  I think there is a market out there for a set of clubs like I'm looking - slightly larger, more forgiving, cavity back long iron with aggressive sole (not driver iron size) - gradually reducing club head size, cavity back becoming more aggressive until you get to 7i or 8i where the club takes on a muscle back look. Forge these clubs and I'm sold!  There are some attempts (mizuno h4) but, for me, the longer irons have too wide a sole and or the short irons have too much cavity back.  Oh well.  I'm looking for that Goldilocks scenario.  LOL

I would agree comparing the i20 to the others isn't really fair, but Ping does make a badass iron. Yeah... You're tastes are pretty weird, most Ito sets start out muscle back and gt more cavity, not the other way around loll. Probably because length is more important with long clubs and accuracy on shorter... Just saying

I think my fitter would have had me swing the game improvement mizs, if that helps. I went out and played a quick 9 today, now my 8I is my 150 yard club. The distances are going to give me trouble for awhile. I tried to lay up in front of water the other day, 180 to the water so I gets my 7i out, now we all know there's no way I'm going to hit my 7i 180 even with roll out right? Splash!!! No bounce, no roll just splash. I like my new irons.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

Their feeling is the Titleist is the hardest/least forgiving on mishits clubs on the market to hit.  I may still give them a try, but again, I'd like to see a more forgiving club with my longer irons and more blade-like iron with 7 and down.  Wish there was a set that embodied that concept.

Hogan had a great set that did just that.  Nike had one out last year (VR combo I believe).

You might want to check in to those.

Driver: Titleist D3 9.5, Project X
3 Wood: Adams Tight Lies
Irons: Titleist AP2
Wedges: 51 Degree Cleveland, 54 and 58 Degree CG 15
Putter: Ping Kushin (Old School Baby!)

Note: This thread is 4036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!