• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
forepoints

Are we always looking for the ultimate club?

9 posts in this topic

I was at a local golf store the other day and noticed a set of clubs, boxed up in a wooden box and marked with "K.J. Choi" name on them. They wanted $1,000 for the set and said they were special clubs made by a Japanese company.

We are all looking for clubs that hit well but I'm wondering if there is a market for high-end specialty clubs? In other words, if there was a new brand of clubs for sale that promised "pure" power, would you be tempted to buy it?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

All manufacturers promise pure power. If you find one that delivers... let me know lol.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by forepoints

I was at a local golf store the other day and noticed a set of clubs, boxed up in a wooden box and marked with "K.J. Choi" name on them. They wanted $1,000 for the set and said they were special clubs made by a Japanese company.

We are all looking for clubs that hit well but I'm wondering if there is a market for high-end specialty clubs? In other words, if there was a new brand of clubs for sale that promised "pure" power, would you be tempted to buy it?

That is Miura .... it is a special edition club.

That's all. A high end player's club.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

That is Miura .... it is a special edition club.

That's all. A high end player's club.

That sounds right. Is it worth the money they ask for?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds right. Is it worth the money they ask for?

Worth depends on perspective They are well made clubs w exacting standards. Depends on what performs for you

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by forepoints

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

That is Miura .... it is a special edition club.

That's all. A high end player's club.

That sounds right. Is it worth the money they ask for?

I don't consider the price outrageous - there are many mass-manufactured club sets which cost nearly the same (or more).  As to whether they're worth the money - I know they wouldn't be for me.  I'm not proficient/consistent enough to play pro-level blades and I'm sure my game would suffer badly from trying.  The clubs most pros play, while they may be finely crafted with very tight tolerances, are not necessarily the same clubs a 20+ handicapper should play.

As to the last question in the OP - at my current skill level, I'm much more interested in forgiveness and playability than "pure power".  All the pure power in the world isn't going to do me any good if it's just letting me hit 40 yards further out of bounds or skull my shots 30 yards further over the green.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Then there's clubs from a company named Fourteen Golf. What do you think of their clubs?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by forepoints

Then there's clubs from a company named Fourteen Golf. What do you think of their clubs?

Reputation is okay - known more for their wedges.

Personally, as a 21 hc, I'd stick with major OEMs and avoid boutique brands. Id' go to taylormadepreowned.com or callawaypreowned.com, get on their mailing lists and watch for their sales.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

no, I don't listen to hype. I hit it first and see how it feels, performances, and how much confidence i have in it.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0