IGNORED

My Swing (Ghansen)

GHansen
Note: This thread is 4023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 22 Years

My current handicap index or average score is: 2

My typical ball flight is: haven't had anything too consistent because i have made some major swing changes over the     last year to convert to more of a S&T; type swing but if I had to say my typical Ball flight is more of a draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Push Slice and Pull Hook

Hi all! i am just getting comfortable with my swing and feel like I'm starting to "own it". I decided to change my swing about a year or so ago to more of a S&T; model. I am finally getting back on the course after the winter and am back on the grind! I wanted to post my swing up to see what you all might have me work on. My miss as of late has been a hook. I also get the occasional push cut. id like to have a ball flight that would start right and have a tight draw. However i don't mind playing a cut either as long as it starts slightly right. Thanks in advance!

Videos:

I don't have the ability to give any advice, but I will say it appears you have a lot of good things going on in your swing.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You see my handicap, so take it or leave it as you see appropriate.

You've got some ridiculously flawless pieces.  The only thing I see wrong is not enough hip action.  You don't rotate you hips much on the way back and then don't bump or rotate them very much on the way down.  To me on the DTL views it looks like you do start with your hips on the down swing but them almost stop them.  When I'm pulling or pull-hooking the ball that's usually my problem too.  If the hips don't get out in front enough for me, then the upper body rotation sort of starts too early and goes the same amount as if you're relying on the hips getting forward and changing the angle a bit, but the hips haven't gotten forward much, so you come over the ball.  Your hands get close to closing on the final swing plane, not just close to the target line, so you hit a pull draw.

Totally speculation, but when I'm doing that I either hit pulls or I try to subconsciously fix it with my arms and hands and slice down under the ball, fixing the swing plane but keeping the club face open, hitting a push-cut or push-slice.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

This is you too, right? I'm sorry but I've got nothing other than I'd love to have a lot of those pieces!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

As many have said pretty awesome. If I want to nitpick I could find a few things.

One is from A1 to A2 you put your weight on your heels and tip back a little. Causes you to push you head back off the wall

The other thing is I would like to have you turn your hips a bit steeper.

Again, I am nitpicking, your swing is really good.

Michael

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

I don't have the ability to give any advice, but I will say it appears you have a lot of good things going on in your swing.

Originally Posted by mchepp

As many have said pretty awesome. If I want to nitpick I could find a few things.

One is from A1 to A2 you put your weight on your heels and tip back a little. Causes you to push you head back off the wall

The other thing is I would like to have you turn your hips a bit steeper.

Again, I am nitpicking, your swing is really good.

Originally Posted by Stretch

This is you too, right? I'm sorry but I've got nothing other than I'd love to have a lot of those pieces!

Yes that's me as well. That was taken early summer last year. That was the last golf lesson i had taken that my teacher was there with me. i feel as though the hips in the golf swing you posted work better than in the one one i posted. They seem to outrace everything in the swing i posted. Thank you for your compliment.

Thank you All for your kind words and compliments.

Mchepp_thank you for the nitpick i didn't see that myself but that's a good spot. And thank you for your compliment. I know that i have a good golf swing but for some reason i tend to spray the ball. For the first half of the season i fought a really bad Push Slice and then later on in the year up until now i miss a little to both sides of the course but primarily left. It boggles my mind that i do it. i want to miss to one side and have a consistent flight as we all strive to do. I am so new to the style swing that i unfortunately dint know how to diagnose my own swings at this level. i  The people i teach are primarily higher handicappers and many positions are obvious to point out and change. Again thank you all for your compliment!!!

If I was to add one thing, I would say that your face is more open at A4 than I would like it. I think it causes you to close it pretty fast between A6 and A7. The film is a bit dark so it is hard to tell but I might think about strengthening your grip also. I think that could be something to look at for the push slices.

Michael

Originally Posted by mchepp

If I was to add one thing, I would say that your face is more open at A4 than I would like it. I think it causes you to close it pretty fast between A6 and A7. The film is a bit dark so it is hard to tell but I might think about strengthening your grip also. I think that could be something to look at for the push slices.

Thank you! il have to try and take video on a more clear day to see what the position of the face is but will definitely take it into consideration!

Could I trouble you to discuss the aspects of S&T; that you have incorporated. You say that you have a S&T; type swing and I am doing research about the swing model at the moment. You have a good looking swing and I am hoping that you would be happy to share your knowledge and experiences.

Thanks in advance

Hi Glenn, swings looks good, a little "flexed over" on both sides of the ball.  Going to put some pics together, but quick question first, are the hooks off the toe?  I'm also assuming the start line for the hooks are straightish or left.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by loughranb

Could I trouble you to discuss the aspects of S&T; that you have incorporated. You say that you have a S&T; type swing and I am doing research about the swing model at the moment. You have a good looking swing and I am hoping that you would be happy to share your knowledge and experiences.

Thanks in advance

It is hard for me to explain in detail the things i did because i have totally changed the movement of my golf swing/how my body worked. However i use to move off the ball quite a bit. First thing i did was build a base. I started from the ground up. The leg work was a huge part and it took me a while to get comfortable with feeling more movement than i use to have. It also took me a while to learn to move thought the ball and get to my left side (I'm right handed as a reminder). The instructor i worked hands on with a Mario Bevilaqua. I was lucky enough to go to college with Mario and he opened my eyes to the new S&T; type swing i now use. The best way to describe the swing i have tried to build for myself is a centered swing. I was taught growing up like many of us to get my body behind the ball and then shift back to it which led to military golf for a good portion of my life. It was hard for me to play good golf consistently with the old swing. Since starting to work with Mario a year or 2 ago i have built up a good base of knowledge which i now teach today to my students. I myself do not have all the pieces for both myself playing and for the teaching aspects but i continue to learn everyday as much as i can. i teach many amateur golfers but do not know enough about how everything works together to take an amateur to more of a pro level. I Have a couple videos i will post so you can see my swing somewhat prior to the big changes made. The swings i will post are the oldest swings i could find of myself and i believe where taken just before i really committed to changing it. After the breaking down the swing and building it back up it has been almost 2 years and this season is the first time in a long time that i have confidence when playing golf. I was hitting bad block slices in the middle of it all and as i look back on it i feel like i was Like tiger in the fact that i got much worse before i got better.

As i said i worked from the ground up starting with the leg work-less flex in the trail leg more in the lead leg at the top of the back swing. this lead to steeper hips and steeper shoulders. Worked with staying more connected with the arms and also with elbow and wrist flexion. At some point during the process we worked on allowing my body to control the face instead of the misconception of making myself release the club with my hands.( this is something you will be able to see post impact. My face closer rate is through the roof) We also worked on my finish. I had to tuck the pelvis under the top half of my body. you will see in the video of my old swing that my upper half is much more in front of my body. Many of the drills i used to help make all these changes are on Mario's Youtube page Golfrealitybymario The changes i made happened over about a year and we worked together almost everyday for that time. I was lucky enough to live with Mario and pick his Brain about the golf swing as well as have him to guide me and help transform my swing.

I posted my original swing here because i wanted to generate conversation so that i can learn as much as i can about myself as well as the golf swing in general.I am anxious to see what some of the more expereinced people on here have to say about my swing posted earlier.  I know Mike and Erik both are great instructors and have an unbeleiable amount of knowledge about the swing and i hop to one day know as much as they do.

Hope this Helps and please feel free to contact me if you have anymore questions

Originally Posted by mvmac

Hi Glenn, swings looks good, a little "flexed over" on both sides of the ball.  Going to put some pics together, but quick question first, are the hooks off the toe?  I'm also assuming the start line for the hooks are straightish or left.

Thanks Mike! No the hooks start left and they are not hit off the toe. I actually use a dry erase marker on the face of my clubs when practicing to see where the contact is exactly and majority of my shots are around the center.

Also i forgot to add i don't feel that i start the ball to the right all that often. The only time it typically starts right is when i hit the big push cut. The ball usually starts on the target line or left of it in most cases

Originally Posted by GHansen

Also i forgot to add i don't feel that i start the ball to the right all that often. The only time it typically starts right is when i hit the big push cut. The ball usually starts on the target line or left of it in most cases

Ok that makes sense, because I'm not seeing a pattern of the ball starting right with those two swings.  If you want to really own the push draw shot here's what I'd recommend.  Like I said earlier the torso is a little bent over on the back swing, but mostly the downswing/followthrough.  So it's great for a straight/pull cut pattern but not going to help you hit the high draws.  Hopefully Mario would agree with what I'm seeing

Also I agree with Mike's (mchepp) earlier post regarding the hips

And then  do some practice with this, the backswing will make the right pic change.  Backswing is the priority now.

Mike McLoughlin

Ok that makes sense, because I'm not seeing a pattern of the ball starting right with those two swings.  If you want to really own the push draw shot here's what I'd recommend.  Like I said earlier the torso is a little bent over on the back swing, but mostly the downswing/followthrough.  So it's great for a straight/pull cut pattern but not going to help you hit the high draws.

So to clarify when your saying im "flexed over". I need to feel more stretch in the right side durig the back swing and then the same  through the ball?

Originally Posted by GHansen

So to clarify when your saying im "flexed over". I need to feel more stretch in the right side durig the back swing and then the same  through the ball?

Yes "flexed over" meaning similar to your old swing where you were mentioning the upper half is much more in front of your body so you needed to tuck your pelvis under the top half of your body.  The "stretch" on the backswing will be more from the hips/lat and the followthrough will feel more from your chest, hips and legs.  Going to send you a good video.

This is a good example of the followthrough "stretch"

Mike McLoughlin

I think the neck tilt at set-up might take care of it on the backswing, like I said it's pretty good.  Yes "flexed over" meaning similar to your old swing where you were mentioning the upper half is much more in front of your body so you needed to tuck your pelvis under the top half of your body.  The "stretch" on the followthrough will feel more from your chest, hips and legs.  Going to send you a good video.

This is a good example of the followthrough "stretch"

Got it thank you!

Ghansen, thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed reply! As you can see I am new to the forum and it's nice to experience such friendliness and a desire to support a fellow golfer. Good luck for the season ahead

Note: This thread is 4023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!