IGNORED

Accidentally playing over tree lined fairways.

Pete Forster
Note: This thread is 4014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all

I have a little question if anyone could help with it would be brilliant.

Basically i play a course that has lots of fairways next to each other that are lined with trees right down the the sides of the holes. I have always thought if you tee off and smash it to the left for example straight over a big line of tree's bounding the holes it would be out of bounds as it went over a line of trees bounding the holes.

Or if im in the fairway and i smash it to the right onto the wrong hole over a big line of tree's running down the side of the whole is it not out of bounds?

I have searched and searched and cant find much help the r an a website didn' help. Any input from anyone woul be a great help.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by Pete Forster

Hi all

Basically i play a course that has lots of fairways next to each other that are lined with trees right down the the sides of the holes. I have always thought if you tee off and smash it to the left for example straight over a big line of tree's bounding the holes it would be out of bounds as it went over a line of trees bounding the holes.

Or if im in the fairway and i smash it to the right onto the wrong hole over a big line of tree's running down the side of the whole is it not out of bounds?

I have searched and searched and cant find much help the r an a website didn' help. Any input from anyone woul be a great help.

Cheers.

Trees are not out of bounds markers.  I don't know where you might have gotten that impression, but it's wrong.  Out of bounds is marked by white stakes, or by fences or walls denoting the boundaries of the golf course.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What he said, out of bounds, including incourse out of bounds is marked by white stakes. I've played a course similar, it has a par 5 dog leg right, and if you hit it over the trees you can shave 30 yards off, but your playing out of the rough and have to hit it over another set of trees. But not a problem for me, the problem is there is in course OB right there.

Honestly i hate incourse OB, i think its absurd notion, but hey, its the rules.

But no, trees do not act as OB markers. You might have seen people just drop by the trees because there lazy or play by there own rules.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Hi all I have a little question if anyone could help with it would be brilliant. Basically i play a course that has lots of fairways next to each other that are lined with trees right down the the sides of the holes. I have always thought if you tee off and smash it to the left for example straight over a big line of tree's bounding the holes it would be out of bounds as it went over a line of trees bounding the holes. Or if im in the fairway and i smash it to the right onto the wrong hole over a big line of tree's running down the side of the whole is it not out of bounds? I have searched and searched and cant find much help the r an a website didn' help. Any input from anyone woul be a great help. Cheers.

It's not that unusual on parkland courses to have some holes with OOB stakes/lines between the fairways. This is usually seen on doglegs where it is tempting to cut the corner and play onto the next fairway. For the safety of players on the next fairway, as a disincentive, it is common to make the adjacent fairway OOB when playing the dogleg hole. The OOB margin must be defined though, usually with with stakes and/or white lines. Royal Liverpool has a practice area in the middle of the course and a few holes are played around it. Players are often tempted to cut over the corners. So, although there are no trees around (links course), except when the Open is held there, the area is marked as OOB.

That is very interesting. I've never seen this (OOB between fairways) but it makes sense. hmmmm, looks like I'll have to correct what I said to a relatively inexperienced golfer last week about OOB stakes. I said they are always found on the periphery of the course - not true apparently.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

That is very interesting. I've never seen this (OOB between fairways) but it makes sense.

hmmmm, looks like I'll have to correct what I said to a relatively inexperienced golfer last week about OOB stakes. I said they are always found on the periphery of the course - not true apparently.

I've heard of courses which even have things like a maintenance shed in the middle of the course which is marked as OB.  On courses I've played with such features they have always been marked as immovable obstructions.

Rick

Hi all I have a little question if anyone could help with it would be brilliant. Basically i play a course that has lots of fairways next to each other that are lined with trees right down the the sides of the holes. I have always thought if you tee off and smash it to the left for example straight over a big line of tree's bounding the holes it would be out of bounds as it went over a line of trees bounding the holes. Or if im in the fairway and i smash it to the right onto the wrong hole over a big line of tree's running down the side of the whole is it not out of bounds? I have searched and searched and cant find much help the r an a website didn' help. Any input from anyone woul be a great help. Cheers.

Do you play the Tiger Woods PGA Tour games? Other fairways are OB in those.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Forster

Hi all

Cheers.

Do you play the Tiger Woods PGA Tour games? Other fairways are OB in those.

You are getting your rules ideas from a video game?  Really?

Rick

You are getting your rules ideas from a video game?  Really? z4_blink.gif

Am I? No. But if that was someone's first introduction to anything related to rules and golf, I could see how they would make that mistake.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

That's an interesting point

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

You are getting your rules ideas from a video game?  Really?

Am I? No. But if that was someone's first introduction to anything related to rules and golf, I could see how they would make that mistake.

I guess it's possible.  I first played computer golf back in the '80s on my Apple, long before anyone heard of Tiger, either the man or the game.  I've played many iterations of computer golf from Leaderboard through Links to TW, and Trust me, the TW series is not the best of them.  Unfortunately, it just happens to be the only one available right now.

Anyone who thinks that the video games follow the rules needs a reality check.

Rick

My home course has an out of bounds between two holes. The #16 hole is straight with a SEVERE slope left to right that spans the fairway and into the woods with very small safe landing areas unless you hit it 280 where it flattens out. Number 17 is on the left and runs parallel to 16 coming back the other way so a lot of people used to hit it into the fairway of 17 to avoid the slope and from there you had an easy shot into the green. The only natural split between the two holes is a bunch of trees. The course owner didn't like it so he put the OB steaks between the two holes which solved that issue. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Note: This thread is 4014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!