IGNORED

Shooting in the 70s

golf55

I don't know you, and I won't say you can't. But I think you honestly don't know what it takes, and are underestimating what it takes. I also don't know what it takes, but you DEFINITELY need pro help. Especially because you are very far behind. If you could do it without a pro, you would already be doing it. Bubba Watson is not one of 'many' tour players without swing coaches. He is a super talented anomaly. In fact, I can't name another pro without a coach behind him. Good luck, and go for it! (And have a job lined up on case you fail.)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OP: if I were you I would get the opinions of 2 or 3 independent instructors who have actual experience of tour play, either as ex-players themselves or as instructors of tour players past-or-present. Any decision of yours should be made with truly expert advice. Good luck to you - and definitely have a Plan B. I dare say many successful tour players had a Plan B at one time.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

OP: if I were you I would get the opinions of 2 or 3 independent instructors who have actual experience of tour play, either as ex-players themselves or as instructors of tour players past-or-present. Any decision of yours should be made with truly expert advice.

Good luck to you - and definitely have a Plan B. I dare say many successful tour players had a Plan B at one time.

Funny, even Nicklaus had a plan B of Pharmacy. In fact it sounds like that was his plan A until his father told him to concentrate on golf. That's from the greatest player I've ever seen play!!!

So for the OP, knowing now that his stats are from someone already an adult out of high school, your chances of making it just exploded exponentially. I would immediately increase your medication as suggested earlier!

Either way, Good Luck!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Originally Posted by Jason M Henley

Here's the thing my man: At some point you have to make a living. Not sure what you do now to make money but eventually you will want to get married, have some kids, maybe buy a house, car, boat. Maybe not but that's what a lot of people end up doing. Having a plan B is not giving up as you mentioned previously. Its simply smart and if you want to be the golfer you say you do you better be smart. It doesn't have to be "go to law school" smart but maybe train to be a PGA professional while you are working on your game. Or maybe take some night classes towards a business degree or auto mechanics. Whatever works for you.

Go hard at the golf thing if you want. This would not be the great country it is if people did not have big dreams and go after them but tight rope walking without a net doesn't necessarily make you more focused and thus more likely to succeed. It could very well make you nervous as hell and keep you from being the best you can be. If you have a fall back you can relax and not put so much pressure on yourself that you can't make a 3 ft putt and lets face it, you don't need to be tense and nervous knowing that this putt determines if you eat or not. Only guys named Tiger can thrive under pressure like that and he's a little weird (in a good way).

I love playing competitive golf too, but I love living in the suburbs in a nice house with a pool, going to my children's school plays and watching my beautiful wife take a bath a heck of a lot more.

Just be smart. That's all I am saying because if you aren't smart, you have already failed.

I do want those things man, that's why being a pro is my dream. I'm fairly average looking guy at best, I'm not the smartest lad around, funny or charming. For a guy like me the only job I'll have is working min wage jobs for rest of my life. No way I can ever have a wife, kid, house, car with that kind of job. Maybe you can but I rather not go through struggle. I grew up pretty damn poor and I wouldn't want that barrier if I ever have kids, not that any DECENT woman would marry a guy who works at min-wage jobs. I don't really have a lot of confidence in different areas of my life but when it comes to golf I just feel better. I can't really explain what I'm going through at this stage of my life, I suffer from a lot of psychological issues. Being realistic the chances of me making it is .001% and if anyone else said the same thing I would also tell them to have a back up plan. Being better at golf is all I care about and nothing else matter. I know that sounds immature and stupid but if you were me it would make sense why I refuse to give up on golf.  I totally gave up on college, I feel too old to even start at this age. Not that I can graduate or afford it.

edit: if I can't shoot pretty low this year than I might just have to start thinking about back up plan but I have no clue what to do.  I can't handle school. Doesn't matter cause I will hate it. I'm a total "loser" by today society, I should already be moved out and have my carer set but I don't. My dad lost a lot his investments so even if I get a job it doesn't make sense to move out when I can help them by paying them rent. screw this life man

Originally Posted by Harmonious

This has now gone from the ridiculous to the absurd. Suggest closure of this thread. Obvious troll.

Ding, ding, ding.......we have a winner!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Ding, ding, ding.......we have a winner!

Yep. I remember the tasteless fashion in which the last "I CAN DO IT" thread died. Let's not revisit that.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I played in high school and finished with school. Right now my main focus is golf, I don't have a fall out plan. If you're making a plan B you're already letting yourself to fail. I know I won't fail. I'm not really sure how teaching pros can help me, there's a tons of pga pros who are self taught(like bubba). I really don't need any negativity from you guys! I will get better, play in local tours, win and keep moving forward. That's my game plan

Use other's negativity as motivation, pick yourself up when people knock you down, and never, ever, ever give up. Live at the range, play in everything you can, and know where you are going.

Originally Posted by golf55

I do want those things man, that's why being a pro is my dream. I'm fairly average looking guy at best, I'm not the smartest lad around, funny or charming. For a guy like me the only job I'll have is working min wage jobs for rest of my life. No way I can ever have a wife, kid, house, car with that kind of job. Maybe you can but I rather not go through struggle. I grew up pretty damn poor and I wouldn't want that barrier if I ever have kids, not that any DECENT woman would marry a guy who works at min-wage jobs. I don't really have a lot of confidence in different areas of my life but when it comes to golf I just feel better. I can't really explain what I'm going through at this stage of my life, I suffer from a lot of psychological issues. Being realistic the chances of me making it is .001% and if anyone else said the same thing I would also tell them to have a back up plan. Being better at golf is all I care about and nothing else matter. I know that sounds immature and stupid but if you were me it would make sense why I refuse to give up on golf.  I totally gave up on college, I feel too old to even start at this age. Not that I can graduate or afford it.

edit: if I can't shoot pretty low this year than I might just have to start thinking about back up plan but I have no clue what to do.  I can't handle school. Doesn't matter cause I will hate it. I'm a total "loser" by today society, I should already be moved out and have my carer set but I don't. My dad lost a lot his investments so even if I get a job it doesn't make sense to move out when I can help them by paying them rent. screw this life man

After reading the last part of your post, the Edit portion, I would definitely recommend a therapist if you're being serious. I'm not going to give you a pep talk on a golf forum or anything, but it really sounds like you need to address your admitted psychological issues. In all seriousness, seek help and make yourself happier.

Dude, seek help. If you are being truthful in your post go find a therapist and work through those issues. If you are pulling our leg find the biggest meanest guy you can and let him beat you senseless. Either way get on with your life.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Originally Posted by clutchshot

Use other's negativity as motivation, pick yourself up when people knock you down, and never, ever, ever give up.

Live at the range, play in everything you can, and know where you are going.

That's what I'm doing right now, I treat golf like a full time job. Someday I feel so good because I'm making a huge improvements and when I'm playing poorly it brings me down.

Originally Posted by Spyder

After reading the last part of your post, the Edit portion, I would definitely recommend a therapist if you're being serious. I'm not going to give you a pep talk on a golf forum or anything, but it really sounds like you need to address your admitted psychological issues. In all seriousness, seek help and make yourself happier.

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Dude, seek help. If you are being truthful in your post go find a therapist and work through those issues. If you are pulling our leg find the biggest meanest guy you can and let him beat you senseless. Either way get on with your life.

I talked to psychologist couple times and it's really no help. I don't know if anyone ever talked to one but they really don't give a shit about you.  I just don't see how they can help me since this is my problem and only I can help myself. I even tried the meds they gave me, I didn't like it at all. When I made this thread I was just curious how far I am from my goals. Sounds like I have long ways to go. I know you guys are telling me to have backup plan because it's the best thing for me. Thanks everyone for advice but I know what I have to do.

• 1 month later...

Okay, enough is enough already. You thinking you could make the tour is like the mayor of some podunk town aspiring to be president of the u s of a. Ain't gonna happen. You and he can dream all you like, but you simply do not have the talent or background to proceed to the penultimate level. Sorry I had to say that, but it is what it is.

Most professional golfers have been stand out golfers since they were CHILDREN. Currently, a good many aspiring junior golfers don't even GO TO high school. They are home schooled because they are constantly playing in junior tournaments. Think of it this way, how many players do you see on the Champions Tour who were not on the PGA tour? Granted, a few club pros make it, but overall very few Champions players were not PGA players. My son is a junior in high school, shot 73 at his state tournament, wins junior tournaments all summer long and has yet to get a sniff from a D1 program. Tell you what, go to a D1 website and look at the golf roster....half of them are not even from America and most of them were either all-state or all-american in high school.

It is a great dream and you are certainly entitled to it, but there are no Walter Mittys on the PGA tour. Sorry.

• 9 years later...
11 hours ago, DewSweeper09 said:

This has to be just a mean trolling joke.

It was…9 years ago.😊

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

16 hours ago, DewSweeper09 said:

This has to be just a mean trolling joke.

Just curious, why did you bring this thread back to life? DOCTOR.gif.c3c9339fb62d0b4e4f0e1fd7587f968d.gif

• Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.