IGNORED

When should you take a golf lesson?

Note: This thread is 3697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Golf lessons are:

• Too expensive.
    • Not worth the effort because I don't play enough.
    • Not worth the effort because I know my bad tendencies already.
    • Needed whenever you want to improve.
    • Needed whenever you feel you have "lost" something.
    • Needed whenever you need validation of your gifted play.
    • Not worth the time; I barely have enough time to just get out and play.

[QUOTE name="Valleygolfer" url="/t/66051/when-should-you-take-a-golf-lesson/0_10#post_829262"] Personally, I hit the ball far enough, know what I have to do to do that, and have no consistent issue so to go pay someone to fix a problem that could be there one round and gone the next, makes no sense to me. [/QUOTE] If you're happy shooting in the 90s or whatever, then that's fine. It's odd to me, but if it floats your boat, good.

I am constantly improving no help to a "pro". I understand how you feel and the need to preserve your career. I improve out of practice now. Arrogant comments and assumptions are unprofessional.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I take lessons all the time. Sometimes just to get positive reinforcement and walk away knowing that my practice is making a difference. Self help only gets me so far. More often than not seeing my instructor helps me simplify things. I have a tendency to take on more than I should. Anxiously awaiting the greens coming to life again so I can schedule my one on one Aimpoint lessons.

Dave :-)

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Midway

Why would one not want lessons unless its a time/money thing? I'm planning on some lessons this summer for sure. It can't hurt.

It can hurt, yes. :) Stretch beat me to it, but I wanted to reiterate it.

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I am constantly improving no help to a "pro". I understand how you feel and the need to preserve your career. I improve out of practice now. Arrogant comments and assumptions are unprofessional.

There's no arrogance and I made no assumptions. If you're happy to shoot in the 90s (your handicap says 5 greater than 20) on a good day then good for you.

You'll play better faster, sooner with the help of a good instructor.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[QUOTE name="Midway" url="/t/66051/when-should-you-take-a-golf-lesson/10_10#post_829737"] Why would one not want lessons unless its a time/money thing? I'm planning on some lessons this summer for sure. It can't hurt. [/QUOTE] It can hurt, yes. :) Stretch beat me to it, but I wanted to reiterate it. [QUOTE name="Valleygolfer" url="/t/66051/when-should-you-take-a-golf-lesson/10_10#post_829764"] I am constantly improving no help to a "pro". I understand how you feel and the need to preserve your career. I improve out of practice now. Arrogant comments and assumptions are unprofessional.[/QUOTE] There's no arrogance and I made no assumptions. If you're happy to shoot in the 90s (your handicap says 5 greater than 20) on a good day then good for you. You'll play better faster, sooner with the help of a good instructor.

I would agree somewhat, if you are a complete novice but as we all know golf rarely has any quick fixes. You were assuming I shoot 90's because of my vague hc listing. I know pga pros teachings are based on opinion and what they have learned, no different than the thousands of hours reading and watching videos I have done. My brother is a pupil. He wants to be told and taught what to do. There is the truth, if you are unclear about your swing issues or don't want to take the time to learn it, you need lessons. Most of us are here to learn and help ourselves, some with 5sk training aids or other home helping tools.

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I take lessons all the time. Sometimes just to get positive reinforcement and walk away knowing that my practice is making a difference. Self help only gets me so far. More often than not seeing my instructor helps me simplify things. I have a tendency to take on more than I should. Anxiously awaiting the greens coming to life again so I can schedule my one on one Aimpoint lessons.

Dave,

Castle Rock and Denver are almost there...until this storm hit today...

I would agree somewhat, if you are a complete novice but as we all know golf rarely has any quick fixes. You were assuming I shoot 90's because of my vague hc listing. I know pga pros teachings are based on opinion and what they have learned, no different than the thousands of hours reading and watching videos I have done. My brother is a pupil. He wants to be told and taught what to do. There is the truth, if you are unclear about your swing issues or don't want to take the time to learn it, you need lessons. Most of us are here to learn and help ourselves, some with 5sk training aids or other home helping tools.

Not sure I understand your point... and I think your comment about iacas preserving his career was more condescending than anything he said being arrogant.

Other than that, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want input from someone else who has spent a ton of time learning about the swing. If it's the "teacher" part that bothers you, I understand that. I like to think I can teach myself everything. But as someone who knows a lot about the swing, a lesson is more like getting someone else's point of view, rather than being told what to do. Sometimes talking to a swing-educated person about the swing can help me understand or "epiphany" me to something new about the swing.

Just my two cents. Working together with someone never hurt.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

I intend to have lessons in the near future when the funds/ other half allow me to do so, but in the mean time I get a lot from playing in competitions with better players than me and watching their different swings and techniques and trying them for myself but like trial and error

Originally Posted by onephenom

Quote:

Not sure I understand your point... and I think your comment about iacas preserving his career was more condescending than anything he said being arrogant.

Other than that, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want input from someone else who has spent a ton of time learning about the swing. If it's the "teacher" part that bothers you, I understand that. I like to think I can teach myself everything. But as someone who knows a lot about the swing, a lesson is more like getting someone else's point of view, rather than being told what to do. Sometimes talking to a swing-educated person about the swing can help me understand or "epiphany" me to something new about the swing.

Again, this is a opinion forum and I do take and learn from people and pros on the site. I do see their value for those who need. I could give you a hundred scenarios where you could get help or not get help in. To imply that I play a certain handicap and that I would not get better without instruction was where the comment was based. In truth, I am very satisfied with my improvements each year. Dropping 5 points each year seems to be solid improvement to me but I guess others opinion on it would differ.

• Administrator

I think you're under-estimating just how much there is to learn, and completely discounting the art to it as well.

I was self-taught to a 1.8. That was as good as I was ever gonna get.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I think you're under-estimating just how much there is to learn, and completely discounting the art to it as well.

I was self-taught to a 1.8. That was as good as I was ever gonna get.

Yes, and also don't forget how different we all are.  I mean, don't take Erik's statement here and go "well, all I want to do is get into single digits, or get to a 4 or a 2, therefore, I still don't need help."  I self-taught myself to somewhere in the 11-12 handicap range (never had an official one) and that was as good as I was ever going to get.

To me, looking at the range at any pro event, including the PGA tour and seeing the amount of teaching that goes on there is all I need to know to know that I don't know nearly as much as I need to know or think I know. :)  (Yes, I tried to use the word "know" all those times on purpose ;))

Quote:

I was self-taught to a 1.8. That was as good as I was ever gonna get.

I know there is a ton to learn. I learn new things everyday.  There is a point where you have to stick with "one" thing and perfect it. If I get to a 1.8 HC which I don't know that I will or not at this state of the game or even a 5 cap and I no longer make improvements. I might consider a instructor or maybe I will say that is good enough. I believe the best I will get to is between a 5-7 cap because I can only devote that much time.

Given the "right" pro, and I know you are dedicated to your craft Erik, you can probably see someones swing and know the right "style" for them whereas a less "learned" pro may just do the same thing with everyone. I don't doubt your abilities but I do believe some individuals have a better handle of their own golf swing and talent.

Once again, I am not going to be a "pro" but I continue to improve and until the time I don't, I will consider an instruction.

Originally Posted by Armygolfer4life

Dave,

Castle Rock and Denver are almost there...until this storm hit today...

Really? Up north greens are still a little crispy. Bad thing is I think we have aeration this weekend so another setback. Just got done looking at my saved email, need to get my Aimpoint stuff scheduled later this month. This particular instructor does that from Broken Tee, never been there so not sure about greens condition. But yeah storm was a bummer. Snow mostly melted but not sure I can tear myself away from the tournament to get out this weekend. I'll be driving the rest of the house nuts doing wall drills in the living room.

Dave :-)

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Once again, I am not going to be a "pro" but I continue to improve and until the time I don't, I will consider an instruction.

That's fine. I have your interests at heart. Some people really enjoy the seeking process.

Just try to make sure the things you work on are actually changing and not that you're just getting a little better at making the same mistakes in a slightly better fashion, if you know what I mean. Make sure your swing is actually improving as you go along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

That's fine. I have your interests at heart. Some people really enjoy the seeking process.

Just try to make sure the things you work on are actually changing and not that you're just getting a little better at making the same mistakes in a slightly better fashion, if you know what I mean. Make sure your swing is actually improving as you go along.

I feel that my swing is coming along nicely and the feel of really well struck shots is amazing. I can now add yards to clubs for situations. The one thing that I do have difficulty doing is shaping shots which is why I am going to try to switch to the MP-33s this season. If I didn't have the lag and the quality shot making I would not attempt this change. Swinging easier has made me much more consistent. I  have narrowed down my grip and stance. Unfortunately I did receive instruction from a few pros during a few club fittings and they all had a different take on "stance and arm placement" but it was finally remedied. I will hopefully post a swing this year but I am extremely critical of myself and if I see mistakes I am to frustrated to post them.

Originally Posted by onephenom

Onephenom,

Well said.  Concur.  Thank you for the input.

Originally Posted by JxQx

I would say to take lessons when you are comfortable to do so. I personally had a bad experience taking lessons and it caused me major problems with my game so I am very hesitant on getting more lessons, I would rather just fix it myself. I am probably one of the very few who have had issues getting lessons. If I had to do it over again I would most likely still get lessons but I would have educated myself a lot more on the golf swing before getting them.

Jx,

You are not the only one.  I took lessons when I was 8.  Played sporadically for years until my baseball career ended.  I start back into golf...and was HORRIBLE.  I took a lesson from an instructor at an air force base near me.  It was awful.  It didn't screw me up...heck, we didn't even discuss golf.  My hour was spent trying to understand zen and karma...yikes.  Anyway, I became a disciple of Golf Digest, but got me only so far.  I found a guy I trust after watching him at a local club for the past year.  It was after this that I approached him and took a lesson...well worth it for me.

Thanks,

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Really? Up north greens are still a little crispy. Bad thing is I think we have aeration this weekend so another setback. Just got done looking at my saved email, need to get my Aimpoint stuff scheduled later this month. This particular instructor does that from Broken Tee, never been there so not sure about greens condition. But yeah storm was a bummer. Snow mostly melted but not sure I can tear myself away from the tournament to get out this weekend. I'll be driving the rest of the house nuts doing wall drills in the living room.

Got in a round today and put a new ball in play.  Overall score was not there (chipping STILL haunts me...can you say "next lesson"?).  However, ballstriking was improved...even with the high wind, also due to the lesson.  To play a Pete Dye course down the stretch at par, par, bogie (16, 17, 18) from the tips felt pretty good.  Courses south of Denver are all open...and in pretty good shape.

• 8 months later...

You have a point but if the Top Five Players in the world receive some type of lessor or guidance on their swing, why would you think you would not need any?  I am sure you don't average 68 or 69...I am considering the average of most golfers so if you do average 68 or 69 great for you.  But considering, I play golf maybe 12-15 times a year at best and have never taken a lesson. I consistently shoot in the mid/high 80's.  I am sure with lessons I could knock 5 strokes or more off.

Note: This thread is 3697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!