IGNORED

Dogs in the bunker

achadha7

So our local public coutse has stray dogs and they sit / play in the bunkers. Guy i was playing with hit his ball into the bunker where the dogs had dug up a little bit. He picked up the ball smoothened out the bunker and replaced the ball. Is tht allowed ? Wouldnt that change the lie of the ball. How do you come to know what the exact lie of the ball was?

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

My argument was play it as it lie but he said otherwise, neways it was the 9th hole and he was down 10 strokes and lost another 4 this hole. Thanks

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

As far as I know, you only get relief (anywhere on the course) from holes made by "burrowing animals" -- which does not include dogs.

In a casual match, though, I'd personally be inclined to grant my opponent relief, in equity. Same way I would if a kid had built a sandcastle and his ball was right in front of it -- it just shouldn't be there.

Quote:

Burrowing Animal: A "burrowing animal" is an animal (other than a worm, insect or the like) that makes a hole for habitation or shelter, such as a rabbit, mole, groundhog, gopher or salamander.

Note: A hole made by a non-burrowing animal, such as a dog, is not an abnormal ground condition unless marked or declared as ground under repair .

• Informative 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To me a bunker is a trap, so your not allowed to clean and rake the bunker. 2 shot penalty for that.

What would he have done if there where footprints?

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

What Rule was he suggesting that gave him permission to repair the bunker and lie?

[quote name="tomvk77" url="/t/66105/dogs-in-the-bunker/0_100#post_829602"]To me a bunker is a trap, so your not allowed to clean and rake the bunker. 2 shot penalty for that. What would he have done if there where footprints?  [/quote] He did not quote a rule as such and i didn't object to harshly anyways since i was on in 2 and my 5 iron had carried 220-230 off the tee and was in a good mood, but will remember for next time There are dog foot prints in the bunker and several players / caddies don't rake the bunkers either ( frustrating) but have not come across that situation, is there a rule book App for the iphone / android phone

Originally Posted by achadha7

He did not quote a rule as such and i didn't object to harshly anyways since i was on in 2 and my 5 iron had carried 220-230 off the tee and was in a good mood, but will remember for next time

There are dog foot prints in the bunker and several players / caddies don't rake the bunkers either ( frustrating) but have not come across that situation, is there a rule book App for the iphone / android phone

I believe the R&A; and USGA do both. Check their websites or google

One of the courses I play a bit has a local rule that provides relief from kangaroo paw prints in bunkers. But then you're just taking a drop in the bunker and are most likely to end up at least partially plugged so it's not a great result either way.

I've played the course maybe 10 times and only once ended up in a kangaroo paw print, but ended up in golfer footprints more than once. There are a lot of inconsiderate golfers who play that course, rarely do you pass a bunker that doesn't have at least one set of unraked footprints in it.

Originally Posted by Rulesman

That is of course an unauthorised local rule.

Burrowing kangaroo's!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Burrowing kangaroo's!   ;-)

Lol Our course allows us to take a free drop if in a cart path, most cart paths are just mud / hard non grassy ground

Originally Posted by tomvk77

To me a bunker is a trap, so your not allowed to clean and rake the bunker. 2 shot penalty for that.

What would he have done if there where footprints?

Just to clarify.  A bunker is not a "trap".  Under the rules there is no such thing as a "trap", sand or otherwise.  A bunker (the correct rules word for a sand trap ) is a hazard , and most of the prohibitions for water hazards also apply to bunkers - such as testing the conditions, touching the surface with club or hand, moving loose impediments.  There are differences though (taking relief, whether with or without penalty is one of the key differences), so that must be kept in mind.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Rulesman

That is of course an unauthorised local rule.

How should you handle that during a competition? I'd imagine that you have to play by the rules of the committee even if they're unauthorised otherwise it would be chaos.

Another course I play a bit has marked nearly everything outside of the cut rough as a lateral water hazard. While there's quite a bit of water and some of the areas would fill with water quite often, there is one place that is a small mound, above the height of the fairway and it's still marked with red stakes.

Play by the rules set down by the competition committee. It keeps a level playing field.

If a dispute arises where an appeal would normally be made to the ruling body then they will not give a ruling.

Packs of wild dogs and Kangaroos!  I have got to play these courses!  Anyone see anything else exotic like rattlesnakes, prairie dogs or meerkats?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Packs of wild dogs and Kangaroos!  I have got to play these courses!  Anyone see anything else exotic like rattlesnakes, prairie dogs or meerkats?

Lots of critters in FL.  Deer, turkeys, gators, hawks, eagles, snakes and even bears are so common they don't even get a mention.

One course I play does have a population of burrowing owls though.  That's very cool.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1