IGNORED

anyone change their swing up mid-game?

grathan
Note: This thread is 3998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I takes 3 holes for my muscles to relax so I start off with a compact swing. Very reserved.

By the 4th hole The compact swing doesn't work anymore, I now have to "go after" the ball. It seems my muscles have stretched out. This adds some significant yardage. I have never tried dialing back here. It is fun to watch the shots come around.

About 3-4 holes later I grow tired and need to find a more reserved swing to conserve energy or else I am capable of some pretty ugly stuff.

I might have a couple of shots after this point where i can call upon reserves to go after the ball, but for the most part I need to just play it safe. I typically only play 9 holes. I am in my 30's. Is this just the way beginners play or do more experienced players change their shots up based on how strong they feel?

I know on TV people like Tiger Woods show up hours before tee time and take lots of practice shots. If I were to hit a bucket of balls before playing I would miss out on some really powerful stuff on the course.

Certainly not on purpose.

Don't take this the wrong way but if I were you I would start some kind of exercise program if you are having to pace yourself that much for 9 holes of golf at 30 something years old.

Originally Posted by MS256

Certainly not on purpose.

Don't take this the wrong way but if I were you I would start some kind of exercise program if you are having to pace yourself that much for 9 holes of golf at 30 something years old.

Agreed. Plus stretching out before, or at least hitting a few balls to relax before the first hole. I try to simulate the beginning of a round at the range to loosen up by playing a few imaginary holes. For example, I picture a hole. Dogleg left, don't have the distance to get it around, swing the 3w. PIck target... if I shape the shot correctly then I get to hit my 7i in. If I miss right, guess i have a 5i to reach that back pin. hit a pitch, putt an imaginary ball. I'll do that a few times to make the first hole seem like it's just the next hole on a 21 hole course.

As to changing swing, no. I Know what causes a certain miss in my swing, So I know what I did wrong, and I make sure I don't do it again... not really changing but correcting.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

thanks, would you describe your basic shots as using %70 of possible effort? Picture a difficult shot, perhaps ball is buried in thick rough and you need to go over a tree and draw around another and it is is borderline if you really smack it, but it is for the win. You draw back and take everything you got and try to whack that ball.  Is that your typical effort exerted on a shot?

Originally Posted by grathan

thanks, would you describe your basic shots as using %70 of possible effort? Picture a difficult shot, perhaps ball is buried in thick rough and you need to go over a tree and draw around another and it is is borderline if you really smack it, but it is for the win. You draw back and take everything you got and try to whack that ball.  Is that your typical effort exerted on a shot?

You're a 25 handicap index... you're concerned with hitting a high draw over and around some trees from thick rough FTW? What is this? troll TST day or something?

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It does sound like a troll.  But I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

As the above posters have said, you really need to get into exercise routine, if you are having problem playing just 9 holes.

You should never "change" your swing mid-round as you have described.  The whole point is to be as consistent as possible.  That means the same swing from start to finish.  Every golfer wants to achieve consistency.  If you change your swing, you will never achieve consistency.

Get your body in shape so that you can have the same swing for at least the entire round.

Originally Posted by divot dave

You're a 25 handicap index... you're concerned with hitting a high draw over and around some trees from thick rough FTW? What is this? troll TST day or something?

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I don't think this guy is a troll. I think he didn't get his point across clearly. I don't think he was saying that he is really taking the wild shots described, very often. I think he was trying to compare his level of effort on a swing (his ideal is 100%, whenever possible, as described in his wild example) to the ideal effort level of others (he guessed 70%). I do agree with the advice given about swinging consistently, and having consistency be the key to strive for. Which is more easily done at a less than 100% swing. Also, as has been noted many times, and I have personally discovered, swinging what FEELS 'easy' and without tension will increase how FAST you actually swing, and you will be shocked at the distance increase you get.

G - If you are physically tired after 7 holes to where you have to conserve energy then you are either seriously out-of-shape, have a tremendously high stroke count, or a combination of both. Maybe you need an exercise program along with some range time to build some endurance. For a new golfer, you are probably talking about 14-16 full swings in 7 holes in 1.5 hours of time plus your pitches, chips, and putts. It is not adding up for me, not for a 30 year old.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by sofingaw

I don't think this guy is a troll.

I think he didn't get his point across clearly. I don't think he was saying that he is really taking the wild shots described, very often.

I think he was trying to compare his level of effort on a swing (his ideal is 100%, whenever possible, as described in his wild example) to the ideal effort level of others (he guessed 70%).

This is my interpretation as well.

Actually it's an interesting question.  I normally hit at about 90-95% effort, which means that I do have a bit in reserve in a situation like recently where I had to clear a torrey pine tree with a hard 9i from light rough to get near the pin.  I gave it the works, 100%, and got lucky.  But really in normal situations I should be hitting at more like 70-80% effort since this would reduce my tendency to overswing and to go too far back at the top (even ungripping a bit sometimes).  For some reason I'm finding it very very difficult to dial it back.

So I would definitely try to back off the intensity a bit if I were the OP.  Also, working with weights 2 or 3 times a week is really helping me with my strength and my stamina.  I played Torrey Pines South a couple days ago and wasn't tired at the end (but I did use a cart).

Then again I'm over 60 - YMMV.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I don't think this guy is a troll. I think he didn't get his point across clearly. I don't think he was saying that he is really taking the wild shots described, very often. I think he was trying to compare his level of effort on a swing (his ideal is 100%, whenever possible, as described in his wild example) to the ideal effort level of others (he guessed 70%). I do agree with the advice given about swinging consistently, and having consistency be the key to strive for. Which is more easily done at a less than 100% swing. Also, as has been noted many times, and I have personally discovered, swinging what FEELS 'easy' and without tension will increase how FAST you actually swing, and you will be shocked at the distance increase you get.

I think everyone (myself included) has become a little trigger happy on the Troll Alert button. Probably because of all the damn trolls! :-p

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I think everyone (myself included) has become a little trigger happy on the Troll Alert button.

Probably because of all the damn trolls! :-p

It's understandable.  Sometimes it's hard to tell as to trolling and sometimes posters don't get the point across so well - myself included.  I thought the poster above who used the phrase "benefit of the doubt" said it well.  And heck, sometimes even if it is a troll (which I don't suggest in this case) it's still worth responding to as if it weren't..

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

myself it takes about 2-3 holes to loosen up my broken ass body, after that fluid swings and a few choice words. i never tire out usually my body starts acking a little towards the end. a couple of beers helps the pain.

A few years ago a friend and I started playing at 7 o'clock in the morning and played all day.

He hit his driver pretty much dead straight all day but I kept hooking about every third drive. Finally at somewhere around 7 o'clock in the evening I started striping every ball right down the middle and he started missing everything to the right.

He said "Well we are both worn completely out and now I can't get around on the ball and you have calmed down enough to quit hooking the ball."

My son and I still play 3 rounds in a day fairly often and my best scores are almost always on my last round. Part of it is that I know all of the breaks on the green by the third round, part of it is that I have figured out which shot is my go to shot that day, but most of it is that I quit over-swinging by then.

Thanks for the replies.

I think there is some point of diminishing returns(fun) when challenging oneself, but also at the other end when becoming too consistent? If you become a machine you can never go back is what I fear.

You certainly should not be tired during 18 holes (barring factors like a bad nights sleep, or not having time to have eaten), even walking them. If you are, its time to get to work on cardio and strength training.

Your swing should be consistent, with a few minor swing thoughts to address whatever is bugging you. No excitement, just play your ball and focus on yourself. Sounds like you are trying to show off, and hurting your game.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by grathan

Thanks for the replies.

I think there is some point of diminishing returns(fun) when challenging oneself, but also at the other end when becoming too consistent? If you become a machine you can never go back is what I fear.

if you are a machine..theres no NEED to go back...you'll be producing consistent shots.  Your "max" swing should be the max SPEED you can swing with and still control the ball.  Swinging hard and swinging fast are two different things, IMO. About the only time I go all out is when a ball is buried in thick rough or when i'm feelin REALLY good and think I have a reasonable shot of reaching a par 5 in two from a good distance(say, a hybrid from 235)

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Um, I'm 53 and I almost always walk 18, and my back 9s are usually my better half. There's no way that you're swinging so hard for 3 holes that you have to back off to finish up 9? Well I'll play along..I'm gonna hit the common sense button here and recommend you get in better physical shape and stop trying to hit the ball so hard.

dak4n6

Note: This thread is 3998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!