IGNORED

Phil's Phrankenwood at The 2013 Masters

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by jamo

Hot versus a 3-wood, maybe. It's less than 15˚, so the CoR limit applies, no matter what Callaway calls it.

Titleist told us that the CoR limit now applies to all clubs, regardless of loft. Mike can back me up on that. I had repeated the same 15° thing when we were there on Friday.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Here's another question ... how does this club provide more control than a driver?  I thought the main reason why 3-woods were easier to hit straighter than a driver was exactly the same reason 5 woods were easier to hit straighter than 3 woods, and why every other shorter club was progressively easier to hit straighter than the previous club ... because it had more loft, thus mmore "backspin" relative to "sidespin."

Shaft length also affects accuracy too, right?  And this is "three wood technology" on a longer shaft, so that would be negated as well?

When I was watching Phil's explanation yesterday, all I could think was that it was a 3w head made proportionally bigger and put on a driver shaft.  I'm all for that because I hate the huge driver heads of today, but it doesn't seem all that complicated or unique to me.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by jamo

Hot versus a 3-wood, maybe. It's less than 15˚, so the CoR limit applies, no matter what Callaway calls it.

I know the USGA classified it as a driver under conforming equipment.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by ndb8fxe

Maybe he is just doing exactly what Callaway wants him to: Create buzz.

I'd buy that ... if it wasn't a major.  I think he's doing everything in his power to try and win, and nothing else.

No doubt, though, that the buzz is a great plus for Callaway ... unless Phil stinks this weekend, then maybe not so much.

Originally Posted by iacas

Titleist told us that the CoR limit now applies to all clubs, regardless of loft. Mike can back me up on that. I had repeated the same 15° thing when we were there on Friday.

Didnt callaway make a mistake several years ago with a non-conforming driver?

First thing I thought of when I heard about this thing was he better make sure its conforming :)

He is also the same guy with multiple green jackets and a PGA. Its not like he has had a whole career of bad choices and does not know what he's doing.

Quote:
Phil is the same guy who, at the British a few years ago, elected to his 3 wood on a hole with a 265ish yard carry because the winds were blowing like 25mph and he was told before the round that in a high wind the 3 wood, with a higher trajectory should theoretically go farther than a driver because of the tail wind.  Needless to say everyone else was making the carry with their driver, Phil hits 3 wood and comes up short in the rough.
  • Upvote 1

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by ApocG10

He is also the same guy with multiple green jackets and a PGA. Its not like he has had a whole career of bad choices and does not know what he's doing.

Unfortunately, I think Phil's bad choices outnumber his good ones. If he wasn't "such an idiot", he would have twice as many Majors, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Bill M

Originally Posted by phan52

Unfortunately, I think Phil's bad choices outnumber his good ones. If he wasn't "such an idiot", he would have twice as many Majors, IMO.

I think Phil likes to keep things interesting.  He's always looking for an edge to win, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  I think a large number of pro's tinker with their equipment before a Major but most aren't press worthy enough to report on except for Phil and Tiger.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I think Phil likes to keep things interesting.  He's always looking for an edge to win, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  I think a large number of pro's tinker with their equipment before a Major but most aren't press worthy enough to report on except for Phil and Tiger.

Hell, im at a .8, far from pro, and I like to tinker and try to get an edge. If I didn't, I wouldn't be using Edel Wedges, would not have 4 putters in the closet, and one in the bag, and would not have five drivers and 3 sets of irons. Some can use the same clubs for years, and be fine with them, others are like myself, always looking for a better new toy. Some of it is hubris, some of it mental.

Its like my Seemore putter. I've tried two others when they were on sale, same club, wanted to buy a spare since I love mine so much. The EXACT same club, yet neither of the pair I tried that day felt as good as mine. I am sure its mental, but I can`t imagine using another putter.. Now that I found the perfect (for me) putter, its the one club I don`t mess with. I don`t ever use one of my others, and will not, until this putter doesn`t feel right all of a sudden.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by laconic517

Didnt callaway make a mistake several years ago with a non-conforming driver?

First thing I thought of when I heard about this thing was he better make sure its conforming :)

The only thing I can think of was maybe the X-18 driver.

It was sold only in Japan or something like that.

I wanted to get my hands on one to see if it could help my crappy game at the time.

They were going for big money at one time.

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

According to the rules, there is no such thing as a 'non-conforming' 3 wood, if the loft is 15* or greater.  Only drivers with loft less than 15* are subject to the so-called 'trampoline' effect,  So, if Phil's 3 wood is 15*, Callaway can modify it to the nth degree, legally.  As far as i know.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by joekelly

According to the rules, there is no such thing as a 'non-conforming' 3 wood, if the loft is 15* or greater.  Only drivers with loft less than 15* are subject to the so-called 'trampoline' effect,  So, if Phil's 3 wood is 15*, Callaway can modify it to the nth degree, legally.  As far as i know.

As stated above, Titleist told Mike and I that the rule currently applies to ALL clubs now. It used to be clubs 15 or less, but now according to Titleist it's all clubs. Even irons, wedges, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by joekelly

Regardless, I don't think that distinction would matter here as Phil stated that the Phrankenwood was 9.5 degrees of loft (I think).

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

He actually said 8.5*

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

• 3 months later...

I keep hearing these golf analyst talk about Phil and this "frankenwood" he is carrying... What is exactly are they talking about ? Is it a 3 wood with a lower loft or something ???

Note: This thread is 3905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!