IGNORED

the epic meltdown thread....

Note: This thread is 3837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by colin007

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

HEY!!!!

something you want to share with us?

Ernest is ashamed of his skank sister. This goes back to the 'spaz' thread..

dak4n6

• 2 months later...

I'm sure that someone out there has been in a situation similar to the one I've been in recently......I understand that most people have a meltdown here and there when playing golf.  It happens.  Recently though my regular playing partner has been having several meltdowns per round virtually every round.  Just about every round of golf I play is with this friend and lately I've been pretty calm, probably because I am playing better and improving and also because I'm realizing that by keeping things together that it is better than completely losing it.

My friend is struggling with his game and I feel bad, really I do.  His tantrums are getting old though and one of these times when he throws his clubs it is going to hit something or someone.  Also there is the effect that these frequent meltdowns have on others in the group and their games.

Last week I was on a roll (5 straight holes with par or better) when he had a meltdown.  The extra time that it took kind of got me out of my rhythm as the streak ended after the meltdown.  I noticed others in the group also seemed to be distracted and had their rhythm and moods disturbed.

I know it happens to almost everyone and I do not want to be the pot calling the kettle black by saying something to him but this is happening every round and sometimes several times per round.  How much is too much?  I do not want to make things worse if I say anything......anyone else out there ever have something like this happen to them or have to try to reign in a friend that may be over the line?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Meltdowns are hilarious the first or second times but if it happens more than once a year then it is more sad than funny.  I will say that and proceed without minding the people who will inevitably post in this thread calling us all trash and say they've never lost their temper on a course playing the game they care deeply for.

That being said my buddy's dad once tried to take down a tree with his 9-iron around a tree trunk in frustration (played safety college football big guy).  The clubhead proceeded to wrap around and break his hand.

Originally Posted by hacker101

Here is one for the books true story that I at least got some money and my wife, son or best friend will tell you it is the truth. To this day no one including myself really know why it happened.

The day I quit playing about 5 years ago, I remember it being a Saturday at Birch Hill in Brea. Had a full bag of Callaways X-20 graphite Shafts, Callaway woods 3,5,7, driver and a Rosi putter, Callaway stand bag all I had just bought a month prior only two rounds on them all. Golf shoes about a month old, push cart and balls.

I had not had a good round in months no matter what I did nothing had gone right, putting 3 plus per hole. driver was a slice and if not a hook. I could not even get the ball in the air to save my life. I even stopped playing in the club tournaments once a month and was around 10 handicap for the most part before my melt down or what ever you want to call it.

This last round that day was like every round I had been having, only this time I lost my mind walked off the course and asked best offer for cash takes all. 20 min later had $400 and went home thinking I would never play again.

Here it is all the years later my son has me back in the game. A bit older and wiser, don't keep score half the time and get a lesion when I cant fix what is going wrong.

Go figure!

This is the coldest most calculated meltdown I've ever heard of.  Breaking a club in a rage is one thing but your "meltdown" must've taken a lot of effort and time being as you bid off your clubs.  did you sell the shoes too?  That's messed up!! LOL

Originally Posted by hacker101

Here is one for the books true story that I at least got some money and my wife, son or best friend will tell you it is the truth. To this day no one including myself really know why it happened.

The day I quit playing about 5 years ago, I remember it being a Saturday at Birch Hill in Brea. Had a full bag of Callaways X-20 graphite Shafts, Callaway woods 3,5,7, driver and a Rosi putter, Callaway stand bag all I had just bought a month prior only two rounds on them all. Golf shoes about a month old, push cart and balls.

I had not had a good round in months no matter what I did nothing had gone right, putting 3 plus per hole. driver was a slice and if not a hook. I could not even get the ball in the air to save my life. I even stopped playing in the club tournaments once a month and was around 10 handicap for the most part before my melt down or what ever you want to call it.

This last round that day was like every round I had been having, only this time I lost my mind walked off the course and asked best offer for cash takes all. 20 min later had $400 and went home thinking I would never play again.

Here it is all the years later my son has me back in the game. A bit older and wiser, don't keep score half the time and get a lesion when I cant fix what is going wrong.

Go figure!

I'd say you're taking the game WAY too seriously if you're suffering these kinds of psychosomatic manifestations...

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Hmm, meltdowns.

Ah, the last meltdown i remember is Hilton Head on vacation. Played really well, looking to shoot in the low 80s, get to the 8th hole. Proceed to take a 10, all i remember is a few shots that went into some brush, more brush, a shanks, and some horrible putting, and the meltdown was complete. Though if meltdown you mean get crazy upset i do something in a fit of rage, hasn't happened in over 10 years. I've broken a putter before, but that was a long time ago :p

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Most dangerous meltdown was a friend of my dad's lost a couple grand in a golf game.  His short game was out of whack and he lost by more than a few strokes.  Said loser of bet tied his sand wedge up to the back of his truck and dragged it all the way home.

• Upvote 1

Wow, I thought I had a golf temper. I've smacked my club against the ground after a bad shot, but I've never broken one. God knows some foul shit has come out of my mouth on the course though...

I think that's just because my cheapness slightly overpowers my short temper.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I haven't had a blowup in years. My mantra is keep playing golf. I refuse to take myself out of the game. It doesn't matter if you are laying 3 or laying 9, your goal is the same, get it in the hole in as few strokes as possible, that NEVER changes.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Friend on mine thru his stuff in the pond on the 18th hole of a tournament-including his new golf shoes! HIs bag, irons, woods-except driver which a friend snagged from him before it go tossed, kersplash! I don't think he ever played again. I was laying in the fairway laughing til it hurt!. This was June 1975 and I will never, ever forget it. The guy died young but not from golf frustration! RIP Itch.

Originally Posted by Zodia Lover

Friend on mine thru his stuff in the pond on the 18th hole of a tournament-including his new golf shoes! HIs bag, irons, woods-except driver which a friend snagged from him before it go tossed, kersplash! I don't think he ever played again. I was laying in the fairway laughing til it hurt!. This was June 1975 and I will never, ever forget it. The guy died young but not from golf frustration! RIP Itch.

That's hilarious!

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I've seen alot of meltdowns so I'll share some of my favorite.

1.  Buddy of mine after 3 putting 3 holes in a row throws his putter straight up in the air then runs around under it hits him in the head and lights out.

2.  Same guy again 3 putting when walking off the green throws his putter into a rose bush then punches the rose bush with one arm till it's bleeding then looks at the other arm and says you aren't getting away from this and does it again.

3.  Another friend I've seen walk off the course at least 5 times once we were at least 2 miles away from club house and he looked at us and asked whats the closest way to the club house.  We pointed through a huge marsh full of thorns he grabbed his bag and walked straight through it lol.

4.  One friend who can't ever get it off the tee very well has a habit of slamming his driver into the ground and one day after popping one up he just tosses it gently on the ground and it snapped in 3 pieces.  I couldn't stop laughing

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

I've had 2 serious meltdowns which both came early in my golfing years.

The first time, my lob wedge got real friendly with a tree trunk. I don't even remember the circumstances of it, but needless to say I thought I was a better golfer than I was so I punished the club for messing up the shot. BTW, bjwestner, the best way to destroy a wedge is to wrap it around a tree - they make poor axes. I'm always looking to help others with their technique

The second time I was having an awful front 9, followed by an awful 10. Did a Paul O'neill on my putter and bent the shaft right over my thigh. At least it was a short walk to the parking lot.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

When I first started playing golf, I played with my brother-in-law and his friend who had his card at one time. I had heard what a great golfer this guy was from a lot of people. He was red headed and had played collage football at Georgia . Well he was a really good golfer and pleasant to play with until about the 13th hole when he hit a bad approach shot. His face turned blood red and he threw his club at a pine tree as hard as a pro baseball player! He completely lost it to the point that he scared me! I have never since seen anyone become so violent on a golf course! CRAZY!

DLX cart bag...white/red

R1
913F 15*

913H 19*

G25s 4 iron - U wedge

CG 14 Black Pearl 56* -  60*

... KOMBI 35" 

...ProV1

Two major meltdowns I've witnessed/been around:

A guy who was about a 2 handicap at the club I caddied for when I was a teenager was playing for like $1000 skins a hole, which he often did. He duffed a wedge shot, which cost him a few skins, can;t remember how much. Anyway, being the hot-tempered nut he was, he flung his sand wedge across the fairway but it bounced off the ground, whacked the caddie in the head, and knocked him unconscious. He had a concussion and dizzy spells for a month. He sued the guy and took $200,000 from him in damages! I wasn't actually caddying that match that day, but I was on the course and wished I'd been caddying there. I'd take a concussion for $200,000 at 18 years old any day!

Another one - the guy who melted down in the earlier story was dating the mother of a friend from high school. The friend was learning golf from the hot head, and he started to get a chip on his shoulder thinking he was badass. He, I, and two other friends of mine went to a pitch-and-putt course on the beach and played a $10/hole skins game. Hole 18 was for 10 skins. The guy with the chip on his shoulder had two putts (for birdie and par) from about 8 feet to win all the dough. He four putted and didn't even get a chance for another hole. As the four putt tap in sunk, he turned around, swung his putter like a sledgehammer into the green, and pulled a chunk of earth out of the green about the size of a pumpkin. The guard shack was about 10 yards from the 18th hole, so the old man behind the counter came racing out, grabbed him by the shirt, called his mother, and held him captive in the shack waiting for her to arrive. We thought it was pretty funny.

• Upvote 1

I am mentally ill when I get mad.  Its ridiculous.  I seriously thought about snapping every club I had in the bag tonight and gunning them in the woods as far as I could, no joke.  I BOIL out there.

I typically just hit the ground with my club and curse. I have only thrown clubs a few times and usually only when alone or in a direction opposite where people are as not to hurt anyone. Luckily none have broken. I really noticed when I let the bad holes go and just focus on my swing I do much better. The more angry I got the harder I tried and the worse I did, made for a vicious cycle.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 3837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!