IGNORED

What are the most noticeably bad practicing techniques? (hope from other players)

onephenom
Note: This thread is 4022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a friend who flogs 200 balls within a few days sometimes. His thinking must be that if he repeats his same crappy swing over and over eventually something good will result. Sometimes he invites me to go to the range with him even if my back is sore or whatever and I don't even want to hit any. I sit there and watch him struggle. He will sometimes ask a question that has nothing to do with anything he has going on in his swing. He doesn't even understand the mechanics of his own swing. He obviously wants my help but any advice I give or analysis offered goes in one ear and out the other. Some people will never break 100 even though they "practice" a lot. It's fine. Live and let live.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

If only dead cats could talk...

no fair - cats are always curious and always irritable

best of both worlds

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only guy I golf with thinks he will just keep improving if he keeps playing, even though there are so many things wrong with.

He went from shooting maybe, 130 to 110 in a year and a half, so now he thinks he will just keep dropping down if he keeps going, I told him to get some lessons, but hes having non of it. He thinks he shoots less, but is one of those, lose a ball / OB drop where you lose it players.

Its weird, because you don't want to pretend to be a know it all, snobby, "I know better than you" friend, but I just want him to improve so we can be competative and he can score better, now and again I try and point out a really obvious flaw, such as his stupidly flared back foot, but he just doesn't seem to believe me and carries on hacking.

Originally Posted by pepsiplusconker

The only guy I golf with thinks he will just keep improving if he keeps playing, even though there are so many things wrong with.

He went from shooting maybe, 130 to 110 in a year and a half, so now he thinks he will just keep dropping down if he keeps going, I told him to get some lessons, but hes having non of it. He thinks he shoots less, but is one of those, lose a ball / OB drop where you lose it players.

Its weird, because you don't want to pretend to be a know it all, snobby, "I know better than you" friend, but I just want him to improve so we can be competative and he can score better, now and again I try and point out a really obvious flaw, such as his stupidly flared back foot, but he just doesn't seem to believe me and carries on hacking.

Hmmm...Maybe that's the one benefit I never thought of to the money games we play around here. Nobody gives anybody any strokes and nothing really motivates you to learn to get the ball in the hole anymore than going home broke every day.

Originally Posted by SloverUT

Quote:

Originally Posted by onephenom

Didn't say anything about techniques that are irritating, or exploding. Just bad practice methods that are noticeable.

Not sure who needs to take a break... not a lot of complaining on TST, just healthy debates/discussions.

lol, I am not saying just you.  I could probably bring up 10+ threads of people posting things about Golfers/Golf that irritate them.  I simply don't understand how a lot of people can enjoy golf if so many things about it irritate them.  Slow play, a partner talking to much, bad practice habits, etc.  just to name a few I've seen recently.

I think the biggest thing to consider is that a lot of people go to the driving range to beat balls with a driver.  Not everyone is as focused on improving their game in the same manner most people on TST.

This is the 'bad news' phenomenon. Good news just doesn't sell. Imagine a "What makes you happy and calm in other golfers you play with?" thread...

dak4n6

When I practice, i take a 3 iron and sand wedge to the range. Sand wedge for less than full swing and 3 iron for everything else. A 3 iron will tell you more about your swing than anything in the bag. Oh and I spend twice as much time on the short game than banging balls.

Anyhow, I think what saddens me most watching other players on the range is the amount of swing thoughts in their rehersal swings that looks more like a robotic dance move than an athletic motion. I know these "swing junkies" will spend their whole lives looking for a "secret" that doesn't exist. Sorry if I offended anyone with the last sentence.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Oh, and for the record:  I do almost exactly what you said bugs you most.  I bring the whole bag, but out of 60-70 balls, about 40-50 of them are 6 irons and drivers.  6 irons to work on my swing, and drivers because thats my biggest weakness these days. :)

Same here.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Same here.

Thirded.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!