IGNORED

My Swing (mancgolfer)

mancgolfer
Note: This thread is 3993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 20+ years

My current handicap index or average score is: 5.9

My typical ball flight is: fade

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: pull/ slice

I originally started this thread in the wrong area " Golf Forum The Practice Range Instruction and Playing Tips Coming over the top, early extension." , but have now read the posting rules.

Apologies to the forum administrators and please feel free to lock/ remove that thread as you see fit.

From original thread:

" I'm having real difficult flattening the shaft in my downswing, so I'm coming over the top. I have early extension due to the steep shaft and just feel if I can get it on plane I'll get my ball striking where is should be. Been working on this for a long time. Although my issues may be subtle, I think it's the subtlety that is making it difficult to progress. Here are a couple of videos from last week. I did go to the range today to try with a fuller shoulder turn but still had the same issues, can upload that too if it helps.

Help much appreciated! :-)"

Videos: 6 iron down the line

6 iron face on:

Someone will probably clean up that other thread, and in case it isn't moved over here I'll just repeat what I said there.

Your shoulders are quite flat at the top of your backswing. Have you tried getting them steeper, so that your left shoulder is more down, and your right shoulder a bit higher?

That should help you come from the inside a little more.

likewise I'll respond here :-)

Thanks for taking the effort to post twice, here's my response from the other thread

"I have tried a steeper shoulder turn (and something my teacher is always trying to get me to do) but more often than not, end up dumping the club head in the ground behind the ball. I have a swing from a session where I managed a steeper shoulder turn and hit it well, but still managed to attack the ball with the same steep plane."

6 iron down the line - steeper shoulder turn

That does look a little steeper with the shoulders, and your swing path is more to the right (less over the top).

From your front on video from the first post, you look to shift back (away from the target) a little in the backswing and don't get your hips far enough forward at impact, both of which can contribute to fat shots.

So keep working on the steeper shoulders to get that path sorted out, and then work on getting a little further forward at impact to help avoid hitting it fat.

I don't think you complete enough shoulder turn... looks more like 60-70 degree shoulder turn, which would be fine for playing a shorter shot.  But your arms get too far behind your body, I think that can lead to over the top. If the elbow gets too far back like I think, then

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54238/elbow-position-and-its-effects-on-the-downswing/126#post_831254

might help. If your arms were in the same place, but you had more shoulder turn, they would be in front more and start at the ball.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

That's a solid-looking swing.

One thing that would help you, I think, is trying to feel like your left knee stays flexed longer in the downswing. When that leg starts to straighten too fast, the hips stop pushing forward and the shaft gets steep and (usually) outside the hands.

More this:

Less this:

A lot of the other stuff is really good. Just get some more "pounce" in there!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by vanpooten

Unrelated note, I know it says your from Manchester, but if your username has any other connotation, I'm sorry...

No. No it doesn't and you should be pleased with your initial deduction as it was absolutely spot on. i.e. the  "manc" is short for Manchester and the golfer means I play golf.

No need to apologise, remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Stretch, funnily enough this was something I was looking at yesterday :-)  maintaining that flex in the left leg and having the left shoulder work down rather than spin out flat.

My shoulders level out very quickly in the downswing which means the hands come in high into impact and on a steeper plane. This is something I'll try and work on today also so many thanks for your comments, good to know I'm on the right track.

Just out of interest, are you working in any particular pattern with your instructor? You obviously have a pretty good idea already of what you are trying to accomplish.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I agree with stretch on the left leg.  I was looking at you swing and could not figure out why you were coming from the outside, because your back swing and position at the top A4 is quite nice IMO.  I don't see the elbows as the main issue because they don't really separate much and you get the right elbow down and in nicely over your right hip by A6 where stretch froze the video for you.  The issue has to be what is going in the lower body, specifically the left leg straightening early on the downswing.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

In answer to your question Stretch, I've been through several issues with my swing, hips too square at impact, high hands, early extension, backing out of the shot, lifting the arms in the takeaway, the list is endless.

I believe the fundamental of a hitting action whether tennis, badminton baseball or golf is to have the hips open at impact. The closer your hands are to your body at impact, the more you can be turned on the ball with the shaft returning to the original hand plane as an ideal. This is essentially what I've been aiming towards. One has to have a flat plane on the downswing to achieve this as a steeper plane leads to pulls/ slices, or early extension to get the clubhead back on the inside to avoid pulls/ slices.

My shoulder plane being flat and picking the club up in front of me makes me get to the top of the swing in a position where I need to drop the club back onto plane and this just isn't possible with my limited shoulder turn and quick transition.

I have been working on this for a very long time and it has been impossible to resolve. :-(

Cipher - I think you've picked up on the fact that above the waist I'm a low handicapper, nice arm position etc, but below the waist I'm a high handicapper, not sure if it's my pivot on the backswing or my transition move but I cannot get into the correct impact position described above.

Here's a swing from today, slow motion then a few at standard speed so you can see the rhythm, also it's a driver. In this swing I'm essentially allowing the club to set on the same plane as the shoulders, i.e. very flat. there is more forearm rotation to allow this and to be honest I was getting through the ball really nicely and a fuller shoulder turn than normal. I did then try steeping the shoulder turn (and allowing the club to set on the steeper path to match) but it just didn't work as well, probably because of the poor lower body action.

Thanks all for your comments/ help and taking an interest.

Originally Posted by mancgolfer

In answer to your question Stretch, I've been through several issues with my swing, hips too square at impact, high hands, early extension, backing out of the shot, lifting the arms in the takeaway, the list is endless.

I believe the fundamental of a hitting action whether tennis, badminton baseball or golf is to have the hips open at impact. The closer your hands are to your body at impact, the more you can be turned on the ball with the shaft returning to the original hand plane as an ideal. This is essentially what I've been aiming towards. One has to have a flat plane on the downswing to achieve this as a steeper plane leads to pulls/ slices, or early extension to get the clubhead back on the inside to avoid pulls/ slices.

I have all of the same issues (and then some) with a golf club in my hand, and was always very good at all of those other sports. Being in a good position always came completely natural to me in hitting or throwing anything EXCEPT in golf. Trying to "fix" one part of my golf swing always caused something else to fall apart. I even know exactly what it's supposed to look like but it NEVER turns out that way.

The one and only thing I ever had going for me in golf was that no matter how many things I did wrong I was always able to hit the ball hard and make it go where I wanted it to go, and work it either direction anytime I wanted. I can shoot even par with a swing that looks like an unfolding lawn chair. I absolutely hate my swing but I keep searching for that magic formula.

Isn't golf fun?

Stretch.

Originally Posted by Stretch

Isn't golf fun?

This made me laugh... and cry!

I suppose analysing a swing is a pretty negative process, as you're always looking on what to improve. Sometimes you do have to sit back and appreciate how much progress has been made too.

No. No it doesn't and you should be pleased with your initial deduction as it was absolutely spot on. i.e. the  "manc" is short for Manchester and the golfer means I play golf.

No need to apologise, remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question.

I was insinuating that your username may mean you're a Manchester City fan, and if you were I was apologizing for your fandom!

Note: This thread is 3993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!