IGNORED

Your Golf "Secret" and How It Makes You A Better Player

Mulligan Jeff
Note: This thread is 3863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

These two do it for me (the sub items come along for the ride as I've tied those into the primary items) - I'm right handed:

1 Setup with a 'feeling' of most weight on my right (this actually just balances me even, though it 'feels' biased to the right)

• - better ball and club head start position (I used to lead/close the clubface too much due to bad weight/pressure management)
  • - back swing loads weight to right better - finish is much more forward
  • - full rotation at finish
  • - shoulder start takeaway
  • - right knee stays in front/back plane and extends in backswing
  • - weight finishes on front foot and trail foot rotates fully
  • - swing plane in and out and not steep any more
  • - head up gets out of the way of backswing and follow through (I let it rotate with the swing, it was better than my old, 'keep the head still' ideas)

2 Full backswing (until I see the club head on the left with my peripherals).

• - head up, not hunched
  • - lets my head move to not hinder my shoulders
  • - better and more consistent divot feel (weird, huh? ensuring a more full backswing gets me more consistency on depth of strike...)
  • - later/stronger/faster release

I like that I only think about setup weight and a complete backswing and don't really think about the others.  I'd like to take it down to just one item eventually.  The initial weight loading is getting automatic.  But I forget about the fuller backswing until I'm reminded by a couple shallow picks - annoying.

Though, I'm still in the 'think of things to get my SWING' right phase of learning.  Instead of thinking about the SHOT and executing the shot.  The days where I really feel like I have shape and control of the shot are days when I also don't have to remind myself about these two either.  Those are good days......but pretty rare.  But will keep working to the day when that's my comfy zone.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rehmwa

These two do it for me (the sub items come along for the ride as I've tied those into the primary items) - I'm right handed:

1 Setup with a 'feeling' of most weight on my right (this actually just balances me even, though it 'feels' biased to the right)

- better ball and club head start position (I used to lead/close the clubface too much due to bad weight/pressure management)

- back swing loads weight to right better - finish is much more forward

- full rotation at finish

- shoulder start takeaway

- right knee stays in front/back plane and extends in backswing

- weight finishes on front foot and trail foot rotates fully

- swing plane in and out and not steep any more

- head up gets out of the way of backswing and follow through (I let it rotate with the swing, it was better than my old, 'keep the head still' ideas)

2 Full backswing (until I see the club head on the left with my peripherals).

- head up, not hunched

- lets my head move to not hinder my shoulders

- better and more consistent divot feel (weird, huh? ensuring a more full backswing gets me more consistency on depth of strike...)

- later/stronger/faster release

I like that I only think about setup weight and a complete backswing and don't really think about the others.  I'd like to take it down to just one item eventually.  The initial weight loading is getting automatic.  But I forget about the fuller backswing until I'm reminded by a couple shallow picks - annoying.

Though, I'm still in the 'think of things to get my SWING' right phase of learning.  Instead of thinking about the SHOT and executing the shot.  The days where I really feel like I have shape and control of the shot are days when I also don't have to remind myself about these two either.  Those are good days......but pretty rare.  But will keep working to the day when that's my comfy zone.

This shows how personal this stuff is. I set up the EXACT opposite. Weight on the left side with some forward shaft lean. I've even developed a slight pre-shot head turn to emphasize my weight staying forward which I thought was weird until I read that JACK himself did the same thing (the head turn thing). That is the only thing we have in common though but at least now I don't worry when my friends make fun of it :)

Also if I see my club head on the left then I have most likely dropped the club :)

Whatever gets the ball from point A to point B though right?

you got it - and the personal and subjective nature of what works for us is what keeps bad, good, and excellent instructors in business....

though what you are doing now, is pretty much what I used to do - I'm getting better results this current way.  your mileage may vary.

We had my sister over for dinner the other night and I put down the tarp and she hit a few.  She's had a bunch of lessons from an LPGA pro this last year and, as far as I'm concerned, she's been given a bad starting position and the pro dialed her down to the most conservative and powerless version of a swing possible.  half a backswing, incomplete follow through, little finish at all.  (mostly everything focused on her mental composure and nothing to do with swing mechanics - IMHO - but, maybe that's what she needed)

She saw my swing (which feels soft and fluid and not forced at all any more - but I take a FULL backswing and full follow thru) and commented that I swing "really hard".  Different strokes, I guess.  But she's only in her mid-forties and hers looks like a retirement village swing to me.  That said, she doesn't hit farther than 100 yards or so, but she hits straight and has fun.  So good for her.

Bill - 

Originally Posted by Unforgiven93

Practice the short game.

:)

My swing thought changes from swing to swing.  I try to be a student of my own swing.  When I am making poor contact, I focus on tempo first, after 2 or 3 solid shots, then I focus on ball flight.

However, short game, and putting is what lowers the score.  And to that end, the latest thing that I always focus on is, get the ball rolling as quickly as possible.  Don't try to fly every shot to the pin.  chip and roll when ever possible.  To that end, my chipping approach is to select a club that will clear the fringe and put it on the ground to allow it to roll to the hole.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Originally Posted by onephenom

Not against my holy grail! :)

On my backswing, I keep my right arm straight, and just feel like my right shoulder is going to where my left shoulder is... puts my shoulders in a good position to stay on plane. Keep my hands loose, and let them cock after I stop rotating, like the end of a whip does before it is used. Then I move my hips forward and let everything else follow. Also, I move my head down a bit, keeps my upper body in position to just rotate like it did going back.

I counted 7. I think the OP was looking for 1, or 2 max.

Here's my two:

1. Steady head

2. Weight forward

dak4n6

Originally Posted by Mulligan Jeff

So share with us what is the one or two swing key(s) that you focus on that make you a better player?

Many years ago, I know I'm revealing my age, Nicklaus commented about visualizing his shot projection / ball flight.

Hitting the ball through a tunnel or through a window.

This is my only thought when on the course, playing.

Pick a spot in the horizon or a object (tree top behind your target)  and see your ball enter into this area after you have made your swing.

When I want to hit a high shot I pick a high object. If I need to hit a low shot, I look for a low object.

Every notice how you usually hit your shot the last place you look?

Save all the swing thoughts for the practice time at the range or discussing with them with an instructor, friend, etc.

Too many thoughts usually lead to frustration while playing.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

That's a great drill at the indoor range I've found.  I try to hit spots on the wall on purpose.  (Break the glass)

Bill - 

I have seen some pros on practice range hold a towel under their armpit through the swing - is there any merit to that??

Yeah, definitely. Put a towel across your chest and under your armpits. It helps you keep your upper arms "attached" to your chest throughout the swing. Try to keep it from falling for as long as you can after you hit the ball.

In the Bag 2013:

Driver:  FT-9 Draw i-Mix 10.5*

3 Wood:  R11s 15.5*

3 Hybrid:  Idea Tech V3 19*

Irons (4-PW):  ZB Forged

Wedges:  Tom Watson PVD; 52.07*, 56.13*, 60.07*

Putter:  White Ice #1 33"

I have seen some pros on practice range hold a towel under their armpit through the swing - is there any merit to that??

Depends on what you are trying to do with your swing. That towel would fall out every time with every shot Jack Nicklaus or Fred Couples ever hit (and lots of today's big hitters as well).

Originally Posted by MS256

I'm sure most people won't like this one, because it goes against their Holy Grail of Golf, but the key to consistency for me is to not only keep a flat left wrist but to not intentionally cock my wrists at all because when I did it was inevitable that at some point in the round the "wrist cock" was going to turn into a cupping of the left wrist, and the kiss of death for my swing (and my game).

At first I stumbled on it just messing around and trying to imitate Steve Stricker just for fun. When I noticed it worked for me I thought it would be worth giving up a few yards for more consistency. Then a surprising thing happened. I realized that I hit my irons farther than ever before with no more effort, and hit my driver about the same distance that I always did.

Spent about a month getting used to the new distances with my irons. The hardest thing was to have a shot across the water and have a club in my hand that was 2 clubs less than I had ever used before on that shot and mentally committing to the ridiculous distance that club was going to go.

I don't know what holy grail you're referring to . . but if I had 2 key thoughts that helped me golf better . .keeping a flat left wrist would be one of them.  Not only in the backswing - but I make sure my left wrist is still flat all the way through to the finish.

One thiing that helps me do this is standing at address and taking several back and forth swings keeping a flat left wrist all the way and thinking of a motion like skipping a rock with my right arm

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

I don't know what holy grail you're referring to . . but if I had 2 key thoughts that helped me golf better . .keeping a flat left wrist would be one of them.  Not only in the backswing - but I make sure my left wrist is still flat all the way through to the finish.

One thiing that helps me do this is standing at address and taking several back and forth swings keeping a flat left wrist all the way and thinking of a motion like skipping a rock with my right arm

Almost everybody wants to keep a flat left wrist, except a few like Dustin Johnson. I figured that part was a given. That's why I said "not only". Intentional wrist cock is another story, and is what I was referring too. Plenty of people (probably even most people) try to cock their wrists in the back swing. Nothing wrong with it but it doesn't work very well for me (so far anyway). I have been messing around with a drill I saw from one of the pros on this site that involves some wrist cock and it is actually working pretty well in the drill but I'm not ready to take a full swing off of it to the course just yet.

Skipping a rock is the best motion to think of in a golf swing. If somebody is good at a sidearm or submarine throw they will more than likely be pretty good at golf.

Almost everybody wants to keep a flat left wrist, except a few like Dustin Johnson. I figured that part was a given. That's why I said "not only". Intentional wrist cock is another story, and is what I was referring too. Plenty of people (probably even most people) try to cock their wrists in the back swing. Nothing wrong with it but it doesn't work very well for me (so far anyway). I have been messing around with a drill I saw from one of the pros on this site that involves some wrist cock and it is actually working pretty well in the drill but I'm not ready to take a full swing off of it to the course just yet.

Skipping a rock is the best motion to think of in a golf swing. If somebody is good at a sidearm or submarine throw they will more than likely be pretty good at golf.

Gotcha . .actually, I don't think much about my wrist-cock.  If I'm loose enough (in the right places, of course) the wrist cock will just happen.

I said I had 2 thoughts . .and flat left wrist was one of them.  The other would be to stay loose and rhythmic.  In practice I can get "too loose" but there's almost no such thing as too loose (for me) on the course.

I practice what I need to on the range and practice green and then I take dead aim.  There is only one way to play golf.  And that is practiced and thought about on the range and then the only thing you think about on the course during play is the target.  JMHO.

Happy Gilmore was a Hack!

Heard something pretty profound from a random golf instructor on youtube, "The swing creates the mechanics, the mechanics don't create the swing". It hasn't been battle tested yet but I've been to the range two or three times with the only thoughts of relaxing and swinging the clubhead . I'm hitting it pure with a nice smooth tempo and have never made so many swings with out a technical swing thought. I've noticed that weight transfer, wrist cock, rotation, etc, etc, is all taking care of its self. Seems to be working for me, I hope it helps.

If I moved my right hand in a skipping a rock motion (for me, that's like a underhanded karate chop - breaking a series of vertical ice sheets..., not like a sidearm baseball throw that you mean), I'd flat out the blade right before contact about every time.  think the right elbow dipping really low and the palm of the hand skywards.  But I'd be consistent at total misses and/or hosel hits - so that would be a bonus.

But I know what you mean.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!