IGNORED

Stevie Williams and the Winning Putt

zipazoid
Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just watched the vid of Adam Scott's winning putt. That attention wh*re Stevie Williams couldn't get himself into the picture fast enough, could he? Before anyone else could congratulate Adam, including Cabrera, there's Stevie.

Whatever happened to the days when caddies stood at the side of the green & in the background?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by zipazoid

Whatever happened to the days when caddies stood at the side of the green & in the background?

Stevie threw them in the lake.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He is the chosen one.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I don't know what it is with that guy, but he bugs the outta me. I remember one year when he was with Tiger and he stripped off the Augusta caddie's uniform before Tiger had even finished putting out. No one is a bigger fan of Stevie than Stevie.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I don't know ... I really don't like SW either, he's clearly a d**k, but I just don't see a problem here.  Every player who wins a tournament nowadays celebrates with their caddy first, don't they?

• Upvote 1

I could easily see myself rooting for Adam Scott, but I cant as long as SW is his caddy. I give him all the credit in the world for those clutch putts dropping but I hated that they went down.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I agree with golfingdad, I think most every player is congratulated by their caddy first. Apparently he is a really good friend with AS, so to see a friend be happy for his mate? I don't see anything wrong with it. You re-watch it, and Adam walks up to him and hugs him again later, they seem pretty close to me.

I think people are a bit oversensitive about what he does because of the screw ups he made in the past. I agree, man that was terrible. He would freely acknowledge that they were screw ups too. Now I think people are willing to pin too much on him now. And the fact he's not from the USA, I think the media and fans would have forgiven him a bit easier if he was.

Whatever you think, he has to be one of the best caddies around. No, he didn't win the tournaments, he carried the bag. But as far as carrying the bag goes, he's got it.

You watch him helping read the last putt, tells him what he thinks, leaves him to it, and AS made it...

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I don't know ... I really don't like SW either, he's clearly a d**k, but I just don't see a problem here.  Every player who wins a tournament nowadays celebrates with their caddy first, don't they?

I agree with you. I guess it's just a matter of knowing how SW is (as best as somebody who follows golf and does not know SW personally can know him). Knowing that he's a little bit of an attention ***** and pretty conceited, it's hard to not believe that he is 60% proud of Adam's accomplishment and 40% wanting to step into the spotlight. He just has that arrogance about him that makes it hard to say "Well, nothing out of the ordinary in that celebration". Instead, most of us watched and said "Aw you no good piece of... seriously? How convenient you f'ing attention ho! Yeah get in there Stevie, spoon it up...."

Scott explained after the round how he brought Williams in to read the playoff putt and the bagman had a very different read. Stevie told Doug Ferguson it may be his career highlight. "The winning putt might be the highlight putt of my career," Williams said. "Because he asked me to read it."

“He was my eyes on that putt,” Scott said. “It was really dark, and he's seen a lot of putts at this golf course; somewhere he might have been able to recall that one.”

Said Williams, who during his career was on the bag for three of Woods' four Masters wins: “We knew it was a right-to-left putt. He said he thought it was a cup outside, but I told him it broke more than he thought and it was two cups outside the hole.”

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I don't know the history of the guy.  So I don't really have any bias there.

I saw nothing unusual from any of the caddies - it's not Tin Cup where the caddie hit a shot to prove it could be done to the two pros he's walking with.

For a caddie, helping to read the winning putt at the Masters seems a very appropriate example of a career highlight.

Bill - 

Never was a SW fan Never.

He always seemed like HE thought HE was soooooo important. Especially the time he ripped a photographers camera from around his neck after taking a pic of Tiger! I always thought that should have been considered assault. Never thought any golfer need a thug-body-guard-caddy.

And his interview just after he was hired by Adam...............very insulting especially to Tiger.

Just no class. Its almost as if he is trying very hard to give the impression he really cares about his boss. Don't need to tell me..........I'll just watch and decide for myself.

...not to mention he was 'conveniently' in the shot of the winning putt -

Wow, blame the director, there must have been more than 4 cameras on the putt, do you want the caddy to walk off the green and hang in a gallery?

You guys can have your pinions, like I said I'm not sure he is a bang on stand up guy either, but it definately seems there is a lot of bad blood here.

It's a shame, you guys had your moment of the weekend ruined. I don't get so het up about personalities, so I enjoyed it with Adam Scott, I was pumped for him and concentrating on him, seems it was opposite for a lot of you :(

I just enjoy the entertainment on offer, rather than bring any baggage...

Just watched the vid of Adam Scott's winning putt. That attention wh*re Stevie Williams couldn't get himself into the picture fast enough, could he? Before anyone else could congratulate Adam, including Cabrera, there's Stevie.

Seriously? The caddy is usually the first person to congratulate the player regardless....yes, Stevie is a tool, but his celebration with Adam on Sunday was no different to 99% of other caddies out there

sigh

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by mvmac

Scott explained after the round how he brought Williams in to read the playoff putt and the bagman had a very different read. Stevie told Doug Ferguson it may be his career highlight. "The winning putt might be the highlight putt of my career," Williams said. "Because he asked me to read it."

“He was my eyes on that putt,” Scott said. “It was really dark, and he's seen a lot of putts at this golf course; somewhere he might have been able to recall that one.”

Said Williams, who during his career was on the bag for three of Woods' four Masters wins: “We knew it was a right-to-left putt. He said he thought it was a cup outside, but I told him it broke more than he thought and it was two cups outside the hole.”

So aside from your emphasis, Scott acknowledges he changed his read because of what his caddy told him. Seems to me Scott may have got it wrong without the help, and the playoff would have continued. But y'know, what do I know.

I'm done, sorry for the interlude, let the regular programming continue..

Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!