IGNORED

Stevie Williams and the Winning Putt

zipazoid
Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dont like Williams that much either, but sometimes raw emotion just takes over. He is a passionate caddie, and if you watch the replay, he does have a moment when he thinks, hey, I need to step back and let the golfers shake hands, and he does that quickly. Again, the guy gets up my nose for all kinds of reasons, but in the heat of the moment, he did what he did and congratulated Adam. After all, it is the Masters..

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Steve would probably have pouted for the rest of the summer had he not received the kudos he felt he deserved.

Because Steve Williams is an asshat.

I have no doubt he is good at his job, he has worked for some of the biggest names on Tour. But then again there are many caddies out there who work for Tour stars yet still conduct themselves as gentlemen and don't come off as total pricks. Bones Mackay, Fluff Cowan, and JP Fitzgerald to name a few. Not sure what your point is with the narrow minded comment, but his conduct doesn't upset me, he just rubs me the wrong way.

Ooops I will use a sarcasm spoiler next time. My my we are tetchy today ladies

Originally Posted by mymizunosrock

I dont like Williams that much either, but sometimes raw emotion just takes over. He is a passionate caddie, and if you watch the replay, he does have a moment when he thinks, hey, I need to step back and let the golfers shake hands, and he does that quickly. Again, the guy gets up my nose for all kinds of reasons, but in the heat of the moment, he did what he did and congratulated Adam. After all, it is the Masters..

...and then re-enters the scene, then leaves, then re-enters again.

Look, he just strikes me as a guy who has an overinflated view of himself & his role, and does whatever he can to get his mug on camera.

I mean, next to Scott himself, the guy that seemed to dominate that winning scene was Stevie, and I don't think that was by accident, or "the moment." I think it's just how he is.

I get that "Chaz Reinhold" feeling from Stevie (Will Ferrell in Wedding Crashers ). He just comes off as that guy who would be like "Hey everybody, the guy who saved that baby from that car was me! Yep! Gather 'round ladies.... please, take all the photos you want. Here I'll sign one for your grandma...".

Wow, I thought SW was on his best behavior on Sunday! We all know he likes to shoot off and I haven't heard or read every little piece of media since Sunday, but it was a historic moment for Ausie/NZ part of the world and he had every right to over celebrate as far as I'm concerned!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Originally Posted by Parker0065

Wow, I thought SW was on his best behavior on Sunday! We all know he likes to shoot off and I haven't heard or read every little piece of media since Sunday, but it was a historic moment for Ausie/NZ part of the world and he had every right to over celebrate as far as I'm concerned!

If I were his caddy, I would be standing off to the side with a smile on my face. I wouldn't expect recognition or initiate it by advancing to my player. That's just the way that I am though. If he came over for embrace and celebration, I would definitely be there to do that. But, I would not be the one to fist pump immediately and run into my player's moment. I guess I would rather celebrate within my own role, regardless of the advice that I gave or relationship to my player. I can be proud and overtaken by emotions for my friend/player without pouncing on him and doing 360° twirls on the green with my hand out to shake everyone's hand within proximity of my player.

Everyone is different though and I understood completely. Hell, it's the Masters and he was stoked. Again, it's just the "public perception" of Stevie and how easy it is to say "Oh there you go Stevie, soak up that win buddy. Yep, it was all you!". That's really all there is to it.

Originally Posted by Mozgolf

Ooops I will use a sarcasm spoiler next time. My my we are tetchy today ladies

Right...you were being sarcastic . Might need to work on your sarcasm skills a bit.

And I am certainly not tetchy! I'm not sure what tetchy is , but I am 99% sure I'm not it.

And you better watch who you call a lady, ever had a lady hit it 50 yards past you and beat you by 20 strokes? Come to NM and it can happen.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You Tiger lemmings never cease to amaze. Stevie is an intense guy, nothing wrong with him being happy for his player. Scott can choose any caddy he wants, he goes with Stevie. Also, having Stevie on his bag has really helped him to take his game to the next level. Well, Stevie and that illegal putter have.

• Upvote 1

In my Callaway stand bag:

9.5 Degree Taylormade Burner Superfast Adilla Voodoo shaft
3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree Adilla Voodoo shaft
Irons 3-SW: Callaway X-14 Steelhead

Lob wedge: Cleveland 60 degree

Putter: Ping Anser Karsten

Here's my question, and it's really a question not me being a smart-***.

Stevie acted like this all the time with Tiger too. The big, winding chip-in at the Masters, the putt to send the US Open to a playoff, etc. Where people this upset then?

Again, I'm really asking.

Originally Posted by TXRains

Here's my question, and it's really a question not me being a smart-***.

Stevie acted like this all the time with Tiger too. The big, winding chip-in at the Masters, the putt to send the US Open to a playoff, etc. Where people this upset then?

Again, I'm really asking.

Of course not.  People were not aware that he was a jerk until his behavior during/after the "breakup" with Tiger.  Until then, he was just Tiger's caddy.

Everybody is just jumping on him here solely because of that opinion, and not because of his behavior Sunday.  He did nothing out of the ordinary.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Of course not.  People were not aware that he was a jerk until his behavior during/after the "breakup" with Tiger.  Until then, he was just Tiger's caddy.

Everybody is just jumping on him here solely because of that opinion, and not because of his behavior Sunday.  He did nothing out of the ordinary.

Dude, Tiger's actions put the guy in a very tough position. Anyway, I don't the think 'breakup' had much to do about Stevie's actions as it did someone elses actions.

Put yourself on a playoff hole of the masters - your player is struggling to read a putt. He calls you over, you make a decision on the read, he hits the putt and it goes in the hole to win the masters.

WTF - who else wouldn't be that excited?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by muggs

Dude, Tiger's actions put the guy in a very tough position. Anyway, I don't the think 'breakup' had much to do about Stevie's actions as it did someone elses actions.

And I said nothing about who caused the breakup or who's to blame for it ... simply that the perception of Steve Williams as a jerk didn't start until that point.  Wouldn't you agree?

And I said nothing about who caused the breakup or who's to blame for it ... simply that the perception of Steve Williams as a jerk didn't start until that point.  Wouldn't you agree?

On that point, yeah, I'd agree 100% with you. But, I'm just saying only some people consider him to be a jerk, not everyone. I have no problem wiith Stevie, and I think it's funny that every Tiger fan now thinks they have to hate him (to your point, I'm sure these same people loved him when he was on Tiger's bag). I love Stevie's intensity. I thought that intensity was a good match for Tiger's own level of intensity. Then Tiger drops the guy, like he drops everybody else in his life when he's not doing his best, and now Stevie's a bad guy? An attention wh^re? It's lame.

To Stevie's credit, I think he's brought out a killer instinct in Scott. Everyone knew Scott had the game and one of the most sound swings on Tour, but people wondered if he had that intensity. In my opinion, Scott seems more intense after picking up Stevie and it's led to big wins. (Like I said before, that anchor putter has done a lot for Scott's game, but I think Stevie has made a big difference too).

Didn't well know he was a jerk at that point though? This was the caddy who yelled at spectators, who ripped cameras off of peoples' necks and then broke them. This is the guy that took off his tournament bib before an event ended, only to have to put it back on because Graeme McDowell (I think) made a putt.

More likely, until the break-up he was Tiger's guy and until the break-up, all things Tiger were infallible. It's not that we didn't know he was a jerk until the break-up, it's that a lot of folks didn't think it was okay to say he was jerk until then.

After several days of grinding, walking together, mapping out game plans, debating over what shots to hit to specific yardages, and more, I don't see the problem.

Even though a "caddie" does not hit a single shot, there is no question that they play a part to the success of their player; giving them the right to celebrate as well.  In most cases, the player will gravitate towards the caddie anyway due to the reasons I have mentioned above.

To me, I give Stevie a pass on this one (regardless of how I feel about him)

• Upvote 1

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

After several days of grinding, walking together, mapping out game plans, debating over what shots to hit to specific yardages, and more, I don't see the problem.

Even though a "caddie" does not hit a single shot, there is no question that they play a part to the success of their player; giving them the right to celebrate as well.  In most cases, the player will gravitate towards the caddie anyway due to the reasons I have mentioned above.

To me, I give Stevie a pass on this one (regardless of how I feel about him)

Pretty much ditto....don't really care for him much, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the celebration...and I concur that Adam Scott is a helluva guy to quickly give credit where credit was due on the read on 10 to win.

But yes, overall SW is an asshat

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Seriously (because I rarely am), I couldn't care less about getting into a thread about the drama associated with someone's caddie but Stevie has a track record. I noticed the celebration and didn't think too much of it but then was reminded of Stevie's comments about his first win without Tiger when he said how it was the best win he was ever part of (or something over the top). In this latest instance, Stevie did mention that the reading of the putt was the highlight of his career, but that really was after Scott exceedingly praised him for reading the putt. I don't know if that reading really was Stevie's career highlight, but it was not as inflammatory as his comments after the Bridgestone. The celebration on the green seemed to be the normal jubilation you might expect after a rain soaked, extended round complete with a 2 hole playoff with the hopes and dreams of a nation riding on it. I don't see the foul.

Now, back to CaddieGate.

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!