IGNORED

downswing and wrist

Note: This thread is 3998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

after you start your downswing with turning your lower body and core, and your club is near parallel to your waistline, perpendicular to your left arm (90degrees)...should your next part of the swing mostly come from the wrists to hit the ball?

since the momentum of turning your lower body does the first bit of the swing, what motion or body part(s) should bring the club to hitting the ball?

hope you understand what i wrote :)

starting the downsing doesn't start with a turning of the hips or core.... you must start with putting more pressure into the lead foot while the hands drop to p6, this will start giving you proper secondary axis tilt... from there you will start turning and extending upto the finish

I think the hands and arms naturally follow the lower body, without having to consciously release them.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Here is my opinion on the downswing. I'm fully aware that I may be attacked and persecuted for the following statements but this is how my swing FEELS. I repeat, FEELS.

I feel that starting the downswing with the lower body with a conscious effort will cause more harm than good. From personal experience, this has resulted in spinning out with the hips, and or getting stuck. Now, I am not saying that there is no lower body action to start the downswing but I feel that most of this has been achieved before my backswing is complete. I feel as though the lower body in the support system for upper body to swing the club as fast as I can while remaining balanced. From the top of the swing through impact, I am really just trying to maintain the HINGE in my right hand, ensuring forward shaft lean at impact.

Originally Posted by midwestswing

Here is my opinion on the downswing. I'm fully aware that I may be attacked and persecuted for the following statements but this is how my swing FEELS. I repeat, FEELS.

I feel that starting the downswing with the lower body with a conscious effort will cause more harm than good. From personal experience, this has resulted in spinning out with the hips, and or getting stuck. Now, I am not saying that there is no lower body action to start the downswing but I feel that most of this has been achieved before my backswing is complete. I feel as though the lower body in the support system for upper body to swing the club as fast as I can while remaining balanced. From the top of the swing through impact, I am really just trying to maintain the HINGE in my right hand, ensuring forward shaft lean at impact.

I've heard it's not uncommon for some to start they're hip turn back to the left before the backswing reaches the top, especially in those with a very strong grip.

I have watch and read (golf channel, golf fix, magazine) etc talking about the first move down is to move the hip first, and even moving the hip before the backswing end to create more lag or angle...

I just wonder if this is a must?

For me, I feel my hip and shoulder move at the same time from the top.  As the start down is so fast, maybe this is my feeling, or maybe I can't do the hip move first.  However, if I intentionally move the hip first, the club leave behind.

One question:

I watching A Miyazato's typical swing, stopping at the top completely then swing down, it's seem that everything moving together without the hip moving before the backswing end.  So, the hip move first, by how much, depends on the person?

Note: This thread is 3998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!