Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daSeth

Ball on slope in bunker - contact with rake

7 posts in this topic

So, there's a rake in the bunker, my ball hits the top of the bunker and rolls part way down the slope of the bunker and comes to rest on the rake in the bunker.  It's obvious that if I move the rake, the ball will start rolling down the remainder of the slope of the bunker.  It's a pretty steep slope.  What is the ruling?

Secondly, is there an official/unofficial protocol for the rakes?  I always leave them outside the bunkers.  But I have seen some courses where they are put inside the bunkers.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

You have found the exact reason why the USGA recommends that rakes be placed outside of the bunkers.  In this situation, the rule says that you remove the rake, and if the ball moves you replace it.  If it will not remain on the spot, then you must place it at the nearest spot which is not nearer to the hole where the ball will remain at rest.  If there is no such place within the bunker, then the player may drop the ball outside of the bunker under penalty of one stroke.   See the following Decision:

Quote:

20-3d/2

Ball in Bunker Moves Closer to Hole When Obstruction Removed and Ball Will Not Remain at Rest When Replaced; All Other Parts of Bunker Are Nearer Hole

Q. A ball came to rest against a movable obstruction, a rake, in a bunker. When the rake was moved the ball rolled nearer the hole. According to Rule 24-1 , the ball had to be replaced. Due to the slope and the fact that the sand was firm, the ball, when replaced, rolled closer to the hole.

Under Rule 20-3d , if a ball will not come to rest on the spot where it originally lay, it must be placed at the nearest spot not nearer the hole where it can be placed at rest. The spot where the ball originally lay was farther from the hole than any other part of the bunker. Thus, there was nowhere to place the ball at rest in the bunker that was not nearer the hole. What is the proper procedure if:

1. The only way the ball would remain at rest at the spot where it lay would be to press it lightly into the sand?

2. The sand is so hard that it is impossible to replace the ball?

A. There is nothing in the Rules permitting a player to press his ball lightly into the sand or ground to make it remain at rest. Accordingly, in either case, since the player could not place the ball in conformity with the Rules, he should proceed under the stroke-and-distance option of the unplayable ball Rule (Rule 28a ) or, in equity (Rule 1-4 ), drop the ball, under penalty of one stroke, outside the bunker, keeping the point where the ball lay directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped.

The same principle would apply if a player is proceeding under any Rule and the ball will not come to rest in the bunker at a spot not nearer to the hole than the appropriate reference point.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good info... Thanks!

Rick, been meaning to ask.

How are you cut and pasting the decisions?  I assume you are getting them from the USGA website.  When ever I do it, I lose the formatting.

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

Rick, been meaning to ask.

How are you cut and pasting the decisions?  I assume you are getting them from the USGA website.  When ever I do it, I lose the formatting.

I don't know.  I just click and drag over what I want to copy and that's how it comes out.  This forum seems to keep the formatting for me, but I sometimes have to add back in some of the line spaces.  When I paste on other forums, I lose the formatting.  I've never tried to figure it out.

Dormie

Highlight whatever from the page.

Right click

Copy

Maintaining the formatting will be down to the receiving website or possibly your browser.

Originally Posted by Rulesman

Dormie

Highlight whatever from the page.

Right click

Copy

Maintaining the formatting will be down to the receiving website or possibly your browser.

Ok thanks.....that's what I do.  If I paste to a word document the formatting stays.  Must be something in IE 9's settings, or possibly  a setting in this website.