• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
golf55

G wedge W wedge

5 posts in this topic

Is it the same thing? my club says W on the top. My old set said G on the top. same degree wedge or different?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Again, no industry standard on this. Is varies by manufacturer.

For example, Titleist AP1 and AP2: P = pitching wedge / W = gap wedge

For Callaway iron models that go above PW, the next one up is AW rather than GW.

Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Again, no industry standard on this. Is varies by manufacturer.

For example, Titleist AP1 and AP2: P = pitching wedge / W = gap wedge

For Callaway iron models that go above PW, the next one up is AW rather than GW.

thanks got the answer I'm looking for. What does AW stand for? is it higher than GW?

Originally Posted by golf55

thanks got the answer I'm looking for. What does AW stand for? is it higher than GW?

Stands for Approach Wedge.  Again, no industry standard, but generally another name for a Gap Wedge.

Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by David in FL

Quote:

Originally Posted by golf55

Stands for Approach Wedge.  Again, no industry standard, but generally another name for a Gap Wedge.

Ping calls it a "U" (Utility) wedge - same thing.  PW is 45*, UW is 50* - same general idea as a "Gap" or "Approach" wedge from other manufacturers.

Awards and Achievements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      I think you seriously underestimate the difference in the level of dominance each had, when you lump them together as standouts of their caliber, because the calibers were not the same at all.  For the years 1997 through 2007 Tiger was the best player for every single year except 1998 and 2004, and for both 1996 and 2008 he was clearly the best player for the portion of the year he was active. You will find it a challenging task to find anything like that number of years for which Jack was the best.  He was always in the top 3 or so, but not that many years where he was the best.  That is why he has so many fewer POY awards and NO Vardons. Not only did Tiger have more years as the best player for the year, his dominance in those years was far beyond anything Jack ever did in HIS best years.  Tiger had winning streaks of 7, 6, and 5.  Jack's longest was 3 (which isn't even as long as Tigers 4 consecutive MAJORS).  There is the consecutive cut record.  The record setting winning margins in various majors.  The record setting margins by which his stroke averages beat his competitors.  
    • How do I organize a charity tournament to be a raging success?
      26 and a stroke? Holy smokes. Very sorry to hear that.  I have no idea how to organize a tournament but I have played in my share. The best ones are scrambles where you can organize your own team. The outcome has rarely ever mattered to us as long as we were well fed. Find a local restaurant (usually a bbq place) that wants to help you out and give a discount for advertising and spend your money there. Everyone will love to come for a good meal. Some nice prizes and maybe a raffle with some local companies offering you something if you are able to convince them it is worth it to give something to the cause.  Another thing I have seen work well is a silent auction at the end with donated items. I donated airline miles of which I have tons and 100,000 miles went for $205. Free gift for me and the cause got $205. 
    • How to eliminate blowup holes
      Haha - I get a couple of reputation points for a post and then go and have a blow up hole. Good drive, left myself 145 in down hill (8i), aimed #deadcenter, pulled 2 shots 25 yards left out of bounds, made 9 (+5) in a 9 hole round of (+11). A better way to avoid blow up holes - play stableford!
    • Donald Trump for president?
      Come on now, that's a bit uncalled for in Bernies case.  His political ideals might be way left, but he is at least honest and virtuous.
    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      I'll have to examine your other post closer. That's a good point to consider about the expansion to Continental Europe. Largely explains the poor showing of UK & Ireland in the 60's with many top tier European players not eligible. But considering the 200 million U.S. population base to 63 million in the U.K. & Ireland at the time, the latter did surprisingly well if population base was all that matters. IMO an established competitive golfing culture matters in producing elite players too. Those same European players excluded from Ryder Cup were always eligible for the Majors. The Ryder Cup is also a limited field event. It concentrates the 12 top players of the European Tour. From what I've read, depth of field is still stronger for the 'typical' PGA event, though some non-major Euro events are now stronger than some of the 'minor' PGA events. That is a significant change in Euro competitiveness from the 60's. To some extent that 30% drop sounds like it could be due to simply more international players occupying slots in the fields. If the period you mention covers when majors started to use OWGR for automatic qualification that has some not insignificant inherent issues in terms of strength of field. Having a guaranteed start rather than having to qualify would certainly make for an easier decision to travel to the event. But I'm not arguing against the policy decision facilitating international competition with a little points boost just trying to point out that field strength may not have been as weak in Jack's day as you seem to think. Compared to his peers, which is really the only thing I think you can do without speculative nuance I agree there's no question he's the best golfer. I'm really just arguing that standouts of their caliber (so many more wins so many more majors) than typical players among already elite fields are so rare, that I expect they both represent near the achievable human pinnacle in golf talent, which I don't think really differs within a few generations. The nuances of comparison across eras is interesting to me so I'll debate relative points, but I'm against arguments undervaluing Jack's achievements against 'weak fields'. They both faced very stiff competition.   I'm not dissing Jack. I think his achievements are amazing. I also think the same of Tiger's record. IMO winning percentage per start in the Majors is a very significant stat and Tiger has that in his favor (they are both top 10 and within ~ 2% of each other's number). That number is not the official one for Jack though, I truncated his Major starts to end at age 47, which I think is a reasonable cutoff for competitiveness. If Tiger competes as long as Jack did his major win % (up to age 47) might stay about the same, increase, or decrease (more likely), but he certainly won't match the 18 Majors if he doesn't get like 22+ more major starts between now and age 47.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. glinks
      glinks
      (43 years old)
  • Blog Entries