IGNORED

How do you make the "as near as possible" drop?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 3994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Too windy to be playing golf that's for sure.

This thread has taken a turn into the ridiculousness. What began with an examination into a rule has now been blown out of proportion by absurd what-ifs and impossible situations.

Ok, but we haven't addressed a few things. In what coordinates is the point specified? Is it in latitude/longitude, so if the earth crust moves, the position changes relative to the course, or does it move with the course?

And, for that matter, what if, as you drop it, there's a massive earthquake and the point where you were supposed to drop it is now a chasm? There may no longer even be a point for the drop. WHAT THEN?

• Upvote 1

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It's only mandatory when following a rule requiring the ball to be replaced.  It's advisable under other lifting situations.

Hi Rick,

R20-1 covers lifting and marking.  It basically covers two things, who can lift the ball (doesn't say only for a ball to be replaced ) and you have to mark the position first if you are required to replace.  I thought the first part (who can lift) would cover balls that are to be dropped as well.   For example, an opponent, who without authorization from a player, lifts the player's ball from an obstruction, the opponent would incur a one stroke penalty.  With authorization, there would be no penalty.  Are we saying if the player was going to drop, the opponent does not need authorization?

I'm confused?

BTW you're going to have to tell me sometime why you call yourself Fourputt

All I was replying to was a post which seemed to show some uncertainty about when it's necessary to mark the ball, not who is or is not allowed to lift it.  I don't like anyone else touching my ball.  I know how I want to mark it, and if I lift it, I then know exactly where to replace it.

I became Fourputt when I joined my first golf forum and all forms of threeputt were taken.  I use the same handle on 3 other forums.  Neither name has anything to do with my real game - I'm actually a better than average putter.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!